corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Whats Best Sports Cat or De-Cat pipe

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Whats Best Sports Cat or De-Cat pipe
Ajones_17

User status: Offline
30th Jun 04 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What should i get, a sports cat is about £300 from Pvd and a de-cat pipe is only about £60. Whats best for the following. a) BHP (b) Acceleration (c) fuel consumption (d) sound. Cheers all.
L330wnz

30th Jun 04 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

de cat pipe will add very minimal bhp, might feel more responsive on the throttle due to 'smoother' air flow but I dunno if it'll affect the fuel consumption!? But u'll have to stick the original cat back on for the M.O.T due to high emissions (thats if you go 4 straight through pipe)
Ajones_17

1st Jul 04 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd be gettin a full stainless system at the same time so i was wonderin which would be best to get. Sports Cat or De-Cat pipe. My exhaust has just gone so i'd have to get it soon, my M.O.T is not till next March but i know an M.O.T tester who i think might do it for me even if i don't have a Cat on. But i've been told that it can make the car slower if you fit a De-Cat pipe because the engine needs a certain amount of pressure to run or somethin. So i'm not sure what to get. Any help guys.

[Edited on 01-07-2004 by Ajones_17]
L330wnz

1st Jul 04 at 09:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

personally I would fit a sports cat but most ppl will say de-cat it.. its ur own discretion!
Ajones_17

1st Jul 04 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm undecided cos it's only about £60 for the replacement pipe but its just what i got told about their could be a loss of power, i'm not really arsed about M.O.T. cos i reckon i could probably blag it. But i don't wanna make it slower.

[Edited on 01-07-2004 by Ajones_17]
daryll

1st Jul 04 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont think ud have a problem with a 1.6 16v, I think back pressure is more of a concern for 1.2's.

I could be wrong but im pretty sure as the engine gets bigger free flowing is more important than back pressure.
L330wnz

1st Jul 04 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

didn't realise u got the same car as me, well I have got a full stainless system and I kept the original cat ... called 'cat back system' and I ave noticed that its more responsive than befor with standard and sounds ... imo I would just get the system and 4get about de-catting or sport-cat ya bhp wont change much really, maybe 1-2 bhp but not that u'll notice it, only notice that its a bit more responsive on the throttle
L330wnz

1st Jul 04 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u'll be wasting £60 on nout really, maybe a bit more noise but thats it + ya will fail ya m.o.t (if ya dont blag it) not worth the hassle of blagging it... just trying to advise ya here buddy not sound like ya mother
Ajones_17

1st Jul 04 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm goin for pure performance and would be buying the stainless manilfold as well as the full stainless stell system ehich would normally go after the cat i'm just wonderin which one is gonna be best for performance. It wouldn't be hard blagging it cos i know the tester well so i'd be ok. The key for me is performance. Cheers for the help mum haha only messin mate haha.
L330wnz

1st Jul 04 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheeky bastid

naa mate for performance u won't get hardly ne fing from ya zorst except looks and sound and maybe 1 or 2 horses

if ya want performance save up and get new inlet manifold (velos, lexmaul, etc) and custom mapping (all at the same time)... t'is the cheapest way to get the most horsies...or if ya loaded get tb's and dta engine managment but lookin at few thousand for that...but push it up to about 170bhp..I think! The inlet manifold and custom mapping about 130-140bhp... just rough guesses btw

[Edited on 01-07-2004 by L330wnz]
Ajones_17

1st Jul 04 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so should i just get the straight through pipe then seen as it's cheaper and will flow slightly more air. Cos I'll get bigger gains from an inlet manifold and mapping if i have a filter and zorst on.
L330wnz

1st Jul 04 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well yeah u'll get a better flow but then u'll either have to blag ya m.o.t each time or put the cat back no... + the police do random stops and check ya emissions and it'll cost u a pretty penny if they fine ya! Its always a risk mate

New Poll