corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » major oil leak in spark plug cylinders!!!!!!!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author major oil leak in spark plug cylinders!!!!!!!
MoNkEy MaGiC

User status: Offline
   9th May 04 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was topping up oil today as my Corsa B Gsi C16xe burns/uses shite loads!! and i thought i mite as well giv the spark plugs a little clean....

i found that all the spark plug cylinders had oil in them!!!!!

the fourth plug cylinder had sooo much oil in it that the oil was almost drowning the spark plug!!! im surprised it even sparked!!!!

what the hell is wrong???
valve stem seals? head gasket?

and how long will it last like this, is it still drivable???
Mistamist

9th May 04 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

worn piston rings?
Cybermonkey

9th May 04 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

probably worn piston rings and oil has travelled through spark plug thread
MoNkEy MaGiC

10th May 04 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nooo not piston rings!!! how much will that cost???

really dont wanna spend money on piston rings as i mite as well do a full rebuild while its all open and in pieces!!

would rather wait a while and save up for a conversion, so how long you reckon it will last in condition its in??
James R

10th May 04 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IT's not the pistons rings. don't jump to silly assupmtions. it's the rocker covergasket leaking between the cams in to the spark plug wells. buy a new one, but makle sure you get the seal right else it will happen again.
I doubt this is connect to it burning its of oil though, you'd notice a Litre of oil coming out th etop, who many miles does a Litre of oil last?? What milage is it?
MoNkEy MaGiC

10th May 04 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by j1400
IT's not the pistons rings. don't jump to silly assupmtions. it's the rocker covergasket leaking between the cams in to the spark plug wells. buy a new one, but makle sure you get the seal right else it will happen again.
I doubt this is connect to it burning its of oil though, you'd notice a Litre of oil coming out th etop, who many miles does a Litre of oil last?? What milage is it?

shite!! i just had the rocker cover gasket done 2 months ago
and yes their was oil everywere!! but the leaks on the outside of the engine has stopped!

its a "L" reg with about 80k miles, i top up about 2-3 litres a month, i do about average 700 miles a month, burns more if i rev harder n higher!

[Edited on 10-05-2004 by MoNkEy MaGiC]
Greasemonkey

10th May 04 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as j1400 said mine did this on a brand new engine, i hadnt tourqed the cam cover down properly and i lost the entire sump of oil into the spark plug holes, mine were submerged, lol, there was so much oil it filled the whole recessed area then overflowed and poured off the end where the dis is, lol,
just change the gasket it dont cos allot
James R

10th May 04 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you've got make sure the gasket seals on the outside edge and inside edge though. seems to burn a fair amoutn of oil worth doign a wet and dry compression test on it to see how bad she is. May also be a block breather so worth a look, but if the engine's been ragged or missed an oil change then maybe rings.
MoNkEy MaGiC

10th May 04 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i do put my foot down quite a bit but for the past year ive been maintaining and topping her up and making sure the oil dont get low!

i think the rocker cover gasket didnt seal properly on the inside when it was replaced??

wat does a wet and dry compression do??

block breather??

but yes i am pretty sure it needs a full rebuild done, pistons, rings, valve seals, all gaskets etc.........
Corsa Racer 69

10th May 04 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh its the rocker cover mate
James R

10th May 04 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A compression test- measures how much pressure is generated in the chambers, so you know if it's makign the correct rpessure, if it's low then it's a sign of wear. you then put a few ml's of oil in each cyl, then repeat, if the results go up radically then the rings are worn, if not then the head needs re-build (roughly speaking)
When you replace the seal, just make sre it's seated correctly and press it gentle, then tighten the bolts up gentle so they are all a little tight, then tighten them correctly.
I wouldn't worry too much about the oil issue, just top it up. as long as the performance and fuel consuption is still fine.
Hope this helps
James
MoNkEy MaGiC

10th May 04 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks a lot for info mate

much appreciated

yeah the performance is ok and so is the fuel consumtion, just hope it lasts a few months more till i can save for rebuild or engine conversion

[Edited on 10-05-2004 by MoNkEy MaGiC]

New Poll