corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Rebuilding a C16XE (top & bottom)

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Rebuilding a C16XE (top & bottom)
PaulW

User status: Offline
4th May 04 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just wondering roughly what sort of costs I'll be loking at (mainly for parts) as will be doing it all myself. Will also be fitting a Lexmaul manifold & also a set of cams (unsure as to what profile, any recommendations)

Will be looking at replacing things like water pump, oil pump, timing-belt rollers & pre-tensioner, piston-rings, lifters & followers, valve springs, stem seals, etc... Pistons, rods & crank will remain...

Cheers
miles

4th May 04 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you rebuilding as standard or do you want to uprate things?

Will the lexmaul inlet be the ultimate spec or is it likely to see throttle bodies at any stage?

See www.autovaux.co.uk for standard parts at great prices.
PaulW

4th May 04 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doubt the engine will see a set of TB's, but you never know, I might change my mind in a few years.

So just incase, may aswell uprate bits to play safe, plus want it to be a bit more reliable than the norm.

[Edited on 04-05-2004 by PaulW]
broster
Premium Member

4th May 04 at 17:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

from just glansing over firsly u need a x16xe lower inlet to have a lexmaul aswell as the rebuild stuff. miles or greasemonkey are your best bets to ask about what needs doing to be honest
PaulW

4th May 04 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hope they read this thread, would rather it be in here than via u2u's...

Also, which would be the better choice...

Lexmaul ram0induction thingy or the mantzel powerbox
Fraser Young

4th May 04 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mantzel, coz Lexmaul has to be x16xe no?!
corsa_jim

4th May 04 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

now mate jus prices off the top of me head right head gasget set all gasgets n seals included in the set from payen £30 ish good stuff fitted to my own corsa all we fit @ work ,water pump £15 after market one cam belt same bout £15 and a set of good rings round about £25 mark id say
just rough guide if not jus ring vaux and ask for there parts department n see them

Jim
PaulW

4th May 04 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye but i'd be looking at uprated items.
corsa_jim

4th May 04 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh ok then mate nm

Jim
Stu_22

4th May 04 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43120&item=7901412284&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Thats a good start if you want high lift cams
Greasemonkey

4th May 04 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Funny thing is if ya fit a Mantzel power box it comes with a X16XE lower manifold to replace the C16XE one, i would definately dumpo the standard inlet route and start with Velos/Mantzel box ya wont be dissapointed, while doing the re-build its worth fitting ARP rod bolts, and getting SBD metal idler pulleys, ya will never have to worry about this agin then, maybe even polish the inlet and exhaust ports, another thing worth changing are valve springs (£19) cheap and worth it along with hydraulic valve lifters, i would say a decent DIY job could be done for £350-£400, i got an invoice if that helps from re-build dont know how much info is on it
PaulW

4th May 04 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just u2u'd you aswell, hehe

cheers for the info though! Thats not a bad price, 350-400 + cost of the mantzel/velos & unichip, so about 1.3k possibly with everything??

Will have to get intouch with SBD about the idler pulleys, unless you have a rough idea on cost?

Should keep me busy for about a month rebuilding it all
Greasemonkey

4th May 04 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To answer ya u2u, the mantzel is a good bit of kit, the 20BHP gain that is claimed is very likely to be achieved, ask daimo his donna and another guy he knows had a mantzel power box, lexmaul manifold, filter, zorst and chip and both broke the 160BHP mark with these mods, my cars booked in on the rollers on saturday with broster so i will keep ya informed of what i get, 145BHP is quite likely but i am definately hoping for + 150BHP
Greasemonkey

4th May 04 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SBD idler metal things are £120 delivered but are unbreakable they are good for 9000rpm never ever need changing, i would definately reccomend a chip, in ther back of my mind im thinking my BHP figure is gonna be good cos donna got 161BHP and i have her actual Mantzel chip and stainless 4-2-1 manifold lol
PaulW

4th May 04 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

certainly is quite a tuneable lump then! Wonder if it would be worth then getting a GSi in a few months & spending time just rebuilding the engine & sorting the rest of the car before instead of waiting till around christmas & doing it all a rush job... Just means havine 2 corsa's on the drive in bits though

Mantzel Chip... is this one specific then for the mantzel box, or with a few more mods would a unichip be more beneficial because of it being mapped to the engine, or are you able to do this with the mantzel chip also?

[Edited on 04-05-2004 by PaulW]
Greasemonkey

4th May 04 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol, what ya like, well my cars for sale, no one seems to want it, i got a bit of cash at the mo and if i buy my MR2 in a couple of weeks im gonna rent a lockup and strip my car for parts which will be a shame, hope it goes well for ya and you dont have half the set backs i did, i dont regret it though it pulls like a mo fo
PaulW

4th May 04 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll have more corsa's on my drive in bits than you get at a CS meet soon enough

I'll be after a completely standard gsi, something I can work with & take my time with, not fussed at having no car for a while, as its nearly summer & all the walking is doing me good, so if I get it done for winter I'll be ok!

Aye I remember the threads with all the probs you were having, was real bad some of the stuff you said though, bloody cowboys! But like you say, you don't regret it & I doubt I will, will be interesting to work on a 16v engine aswell as I've only ever worked on 8v's before, all vauxhalls too!

Good luck though with selling your car, just hope when it does go the person who buys it apreciates all the work you did & doesnt kill it like some people do
Greasemonkey

4th May 04 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah would be a shame to see it written off a week later or summit, if its not gone next weekend its going on e-bay and i will take what i get for it
PaulW

4th May 04 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ebay nooooo you'll probs not break-even with what you spent on the engine if it goes on there!
Stu_22

4th May 04 at 23:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I may have a mantzel power box with X16XE inlet manifold for sale.

I thought it was sold but buyer taking his time to pay
PaulW

5th May 04 at 00:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it wont be for a while before I get stuff in, just want to clear up my loan first (ends in august) and find somewhere to store the other corsa shell, then the GSi project can begin.
miles

5th May 04 at 07:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You wont get decent rings for £25. Vaux rings are really expensive. Contact Speedx pistons, the place in the ebay link, they also sold me decent big end bearings and mapped my car. Cost about £60 for rings and the same for the bearings.

Fit ARP's as said, they are about £70 all in from rally design, get the flywheel lightened, worth getting the bottom end balanced. My SBD rollers were about £105 all in. Worth looking into getting the road deseemed, or do it yourself.

If your going to spend £800+ on a mantzel and chip you should seriously think about finding another £500 or so and getting a secondhand throttle body kit for a much much better engine.

I wouldn't worry about valve springs unless your fitting cams, you can clean your lifters quite easily.
Stu_22

5th May 04 at 07:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Miles do you have any picures or description of this deseaming of the con rods and how does this stregthen it?
Also what cams are you running
miles

5th May 04 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im running Piper BP285's.

Deseeming removes a pressure point, so less chance of failure. Simply using a flap wheel to smooth the rod. I'll try and post some pictures tonight.
Greasemonkey

5th May 04 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

apparently i heard that deseaming the rods means ya good for an extra 500rpm over what they can normally take

[Edited on 05-05-2004 by Greasemonkey]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll