corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Does 2ltr FEEL much faster than the 1.6?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Does 2ltr FEEL much faster than the 1.6?
Keithie

User status: Offline
13th Apr 04 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got a gsi and im considering the conversion to a red top.

anyone been in both? does the 2ltr feel much faster? will it be worth the 1500 etc to fund the conversion?
lee mitchell

13th Apr 04 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got a tuned 1.6 and a standard 2 litre and i think the 2 litre is so much better. much more torque
MikeH

13th Apr 04 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you would say that you do conversions

lee mitchell

13th Apr 04 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no i would say that as i have the privelege of owning both so i know
J da Silva

13th Apr 04 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i owned an sxi shape corsa with a gsi engine in and 2litre's have more muscle in every respect
stuyw

13th Apr 04 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a redtop is miles better IMO, as lee says lots more low down torque and they sound better as well
Siberia

13th Apr 04 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jesus lads this c20xe must one amazing engine?

wots it like when its in the cars vauxhall made it with I.E Calibra or Cavailer?.

its prooving next to imposible to get insurance here for my conversion.

strange they will quote me on a scooby but not a on a 2ltr corsa
MikeH

13th Apr 04 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

adrian flux insurance?
stuyw

13th Apr 04 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its probably coz vauxhall never made a 2.0corsa n see as its a modified motor
Siberia

13th Apr 04 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MikeH
adrian flux insurance?

im living in ireland dude and insurance companys just dont like modifed engines here.

sure this will shock ya.... i pay €2310(£2000) for a 1.2 8v and i'm 27

so the only way around it is to buy a cavailer or calibra i think.
Fad

13th Apr 04 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

deffo 2ltr is better JR has a tuned 1.4 16v with 136 bhp mayb more? andhe says the torque is much much better pulls much better too

altho tuned 16xe's are no slouches
ianofbhills

13th Apr 04 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons so to speak why not spend the money that it would cost on a 2ltr conversion on tuning your existing 1.6.

You allready have one of the best engines vuaxhall made that has a lot of potential over the 2ltr plus you know your engines history and that it is a good un. Think about it these redtops are getting on for over 10 years old now. When you buy it second hand you are not aware of its previous history and lets be honest valver corsa's are getting to be pretty common .

£1500 would get you the set of throttle bodies for sale in the classifeds forum. Get those put on and you will have performance to match a 2ltr and you wont have the hastle of doing an engine transplant and re-registering your car or the handling problems associated with the heavy redtops.

I know which i would choose
Jambo

13th Apr 04 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As most people will tell you, theres no replacement for displacemnet
Paul_J

13th Apr 04 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
As most people will tell you, theres no replacement for displacemnet

I disagree

as ian just said, if he bought keiths Throttle bodies and fitted them to his 1.6 he'll easily see way more power than a 2.0 16v and get that lovely sound TB's make.
Paul_J

13th Apr 04 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=136786

^^^ link to classifieds - keith piper selling his throttle bodies.
The Guru

13th Apr 04 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^ What about a C20XE with Throttle bodies?

[Edited on 13-04-2004 by The Guru]
Fad

13th Apr 04 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ianofbhills

£1500 would get you the set of throttle bodies for sale in the classifeds forum. Get those put on and you will have performance to match a 2ltr and you wont have the hastle of doing an engine transplant and re-registering your car or the handling problems associated with the heavy redtops.

erm you driven a 2ltr? handling problems? i thin you will find its an urban myth conerning handling. JR has a stripped 1.4 16v with the identical suspension set up as mine and at hight speeds there is no difference in the handling at all he will also confirm this.

sure chucking tb's on a 1.6 will be great i dont dispute that but it wont be usuable as an every day car with cold starts being a bastard and you stil wont have the fat torque curve as on an XE

mines 14 years old and still pulls like a whore on crack

like i say i am might be biased but i've owned both a mildly tuned 1.4 16v and a 20xe and i know which was better

its all down the prefference i guess
J da Silva

13th Apr 04 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my view is this- if you want a 2litre u get a 2litre if you want a 1.6 then get one of them, whatever makes you happy mate, that geeza with the funny name is onto a good thing, doing a 1.6 and modding it to a 2litre's bhp figure is a good achievement and in some ways can work out cheaper as you dont need to pay for 2litre fitting if your cars already a 1600cc
J da Silva

13th Apr 04 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fadscorsa
quote:
Originally posted by ianofbhills

erm you driven a 2ltr? handling problems? i thin you will find its an urban myth conerning handling. JR has a stripped 1.4 16v with the identical suspension set up as mine and at hight speeds there is no difference in the handling at all he will also confirm this.

sure chucking tb's on a 1.6 will be great i dont dispute that but it wont be usuable as an every day car with cold starts being a bastard and you stil wont have the fat torque curve as on an XE

mines 14 years old and still pulls like a whore on crack

like i say i am might be biased but i've owned both a mildly tuned 1.4 16v and a 20xe and i know which was better

its all down the prefference i guess

i agree with the phrase highlighted in bold. people will tell you 2litres handling heavier and worse, its all knackers,people just like to say something so other people think they know what they are talking about
Tim
Site Administrator

13th Apr 04 at 19:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree also. Also I've never driven a 1.6, but I've raced a mate's GSi and it was loosing pretty rapidly...
stuyw

13th Apr 04 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive had a 1.6 16v and got a 2.0 n the 2.0 is miles better in every dept. they are heavier at the front end, but nothing that decent suspension cant sort out
Greasemonkey

13th Apr 04 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got a 1.6 C16XE with C20XE power 150ishBHP, its quick yes but the power is all high on up the rev range so it takes a bit to get going 5000RPM+ and it flies like a B-ATCH but it does lack the Tourqe of the C20XE and that makes a big difference, i think you would need a 170+BHP 1.6 corsa to give a C20XE a run for its money

[Edited on 13-04-2004 by Greasemonkey]
miles

14th Apr 04 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its physics, if you have more weight it is harder to move. Then if you put that weight over the front wheels....

I've never been in a 2.0 nova/corsa so am going to obvious theory. But at the end of the day it depends how you drive it and what your after.

Its a myth that tuned throttle bodied engines aren't any good as everyday cars and they have a poor cold start. My car gets used as a everyday car and behaves as one, whilst returning good economy.

What 1/4 times have been posted in 2.0 16v corsa's/nova's? 160bhp odd 2.0 16v nova's tend to do about 14.7.....

Ian, hows it coming along? Got much else done? Be interesting to see you at pod Im hopefully going on the 15th of May. I'm selling up if you haven't heard.
Andy

14th Apr 04 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by stuyw
ive had a 1.6 16v and got a 2.0 n the 2.0 is miles better in every dept. they are heavier at the front end, but nothing that decent suspension cant sort out

At the end of the day, those extra 48kgs sitting over the front wheels are always going to be a disadvantage round the twist stuff - spending money will improve things, but spending the same money on a 1.6 suspension set up will still produce a better handling car
Andy

14th Apr 04 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by lee mitchell
ive got a tuned 1.6 and a standard 2 litre and i think the 2 litre is so much better. much more torque

You need to come for a spin in my tuned 1.6 then - far more torquey than a C20XE (over 150lb/ft) and far, far quicker

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll