corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » will i need, a new alternator and cap for this system???

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author will i need, a new alternator and cap for this system???
MoNkEy MaGiC

User status: Offline
   6th Apr 04 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive currently got alpine 4x60watts headunit with 3 pre outs of which one is running a Alpine v12 amp 120watts x2 on 6x9s at the back

and am thinking getting a 1000watt alpine sub with 800watt v12 amp to power it.....

ive got a more powerfull battery, u think i wud need a new alternator and a cap or both???

im a begginer to ICE so im not sure about all these caps, batterry and alternators!!

also can u post any wiring diagrams that could be use full

cheers
DC

7th Apr 04 at 00:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not really.

When u start havin a couple of subs i wud consider uprating the alternator n maybe gettin a cap but ya shud b ok 4 now
drunkenfool

7th Apr 04 at 01:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are those figures RMS or max power? If it is max, you should be fine with just the uprated battery. Only wiring diagram i got that may possible be of any use is the split charge one in my garage under "other" but probably wont be that much use anyway!
cdcool1

7th Apr 04 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont bother with a cap, waste of time. Alternator is best place to start mate
MoNkEy MaGiC

7th Apr 04 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah all those figures above are in watts, so its not a mega load system but nice n decent

yeah ive heard that a cap is just for show really unless u got a heavy ice install!!

thing is my Gsi engine heats up really quickly!!!!!!! jus the way they are.

so during a cruise with my mates i tend to have the engine switched of wen we have pulled up sumwere for a bit and have the sounds still playing!!

this causes the car to suddenly cut out n stall wen we do start moving of again, but this is not as bad since i had the new battery put in??

any ideas???
cdcool1

7th Apr 04 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

might be an idea to have 2 batteries if you listen to your music alot whith the engine off. You'll need a split charging system to charge them both up. If you have any questions mate just u2u me and i'll tell you how to do it
drunkenfool

8th Apr 04 at 06:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats the rough idea, ignore the figures on there though, thats for my sistem.
cdcool1

8th Apr 04 at 09:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't use an ignition live feed, this would activate the relay if the key is in the ignition and only turned to the first bit, you want the relay to activate when the engine is actually running, otherwise you wi'll put a lot of strain on the system.

Your alternator should have 2 wires comming from it, one should be much bigger than the other. this will go to your battery. The other one goes through the bulkhead to your dash board, this is for the warning light on your dash board. When the engine is started, its goes to 12v. You want to run a wire from this connection to activate the relay
Richie

8th Apr 04 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by cdcool1
I wouldn't use an ignition live feed, this would activate the relay if the key is in the ignition and only turned to the first bit, you want the relay to activate when the engine is actually running, otherwise you wi'll put a lot of strain on the system.

Your alternator should have 2 wires comming from it, one should be much bigger than the other. this will go to your battery. The other one goes through the bulkhead to your dash board, this is for the warning light on your dash board. When the engine is started, its goes to 12v. You want to run a wire from this connection to activate the relay

You can connect it to an ignition live because when you turn they key to start the engine, most ignition lives are disconnected until the engine has started. All i did was go through a few fuses in the fusebox until i found one that shut off when you started the car, and i tapped off that.

So when you turn the key, it disconnects the relay, but turns it back on once the engine is running.

Easy peasy
Richie

8th Apr 04 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MoNkEy MaGiC
yeah all those figures above are in watts, so its not a mega load system but nice n decent

yeah ive heard that a cap is just for show really unless u got a heavy ice install!!

thing is my Gsi engine heats up really quickly!!!!!!! jus the way they are.

so during a cruise with my mates i tend to have the engine switched of wen we have pulled up sumwere for a bit and have the sounds still playing!!

this causes the car to suddenly cut out n stall wen we do start moving of again, but this is not as bad since i had the new battery put in??

any ideas???

This is because when you park up and shut your engine off, your battery is powering all your ICE without the greatly needed help of the alternator. When you start your car, your alternator is working its bollocks off to recharge the battery. This will place strain on the engine, hence the stalling. When you put your new battery in it probably hasnt been as bad because its a much better battery that isnt so much trouble to recharge unlike your old one which was probably shagged.
MoNkEy MaGiC

8th Apr 04 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, my old battery almost caused a fatal accident man!! was crossing a very busy fast paced road wen engine suddenly cut out!!! all i cud do is jus look at the car cumming towards me skidding all the way...but luckily it just stopped on time inches from my door!! after that i got the new battery put in

i guess best thing to do is just give the the engine time to warm up n let the battry get charged before pullin of again

New Poll