corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Split charging system.....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Split charging system.....
cdcool1

User status: Offline
29th Mar 04 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right, planning on doing my install this summer, got a yellow top on the way (cheers corb .)

been trying to find info on a split charging system, but not found anything of much use really

one american site was talking about having a 2nd high rated alternator. i know i'll have to be upgrading my alternator, but this was talking about having 2 alternators, with the high rated one just for the audio battery

is this feasible? if so, how would i fit it?

if i were to use just one alternator, can i just wire both batteries up to the alternator? or do i have to buy some switching circuitry so the alternator is only ever charging one of the batteries at a time?

cheers
drunkenfool

30th Mar 04 at 00:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ignore the amp ratings, that was just me trying to sort out my system, but that is the basic diagram.

cdcool1

30th Mar 04 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers mate, thats more or less what i'd got, but i had a seperate witch after the relay instead of on the relay signal line, yours is a better idea

surely you'd want at least 4awg cable between the batteries tho?

my only other question now really is where can i get these split charging relays from? do they have two main terminals capable of fitting 4awg/0awg??
drunkenfool

30th Mar 04 at 09:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine came as a whole kit from autoleads, including the cables, inline fuse holder, fuse and relay, it was about £35 i think. THe cble between the batteries only carries the charging current from one battery to the other, not the current that the amp draws, thats why you can get away with a higher AWG and a smaller current.
cdcool1

30th Mar 04 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its ok now, found a 180A one for £11 new

when charging at high currents though the cable and relay need to be able to cope.

been recommended to use 2 or 0 awg wires between the two batteries on a car audio forum site. could get away with 4 awg, but i'd rather be on safe side

New Poll