corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » MP3 Head Unit

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author MP3 Head Unit
wee_kev

User status: Offline
18th Mar 04 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am thinking about changing my cd changer and getting an MP3 Stereo.

Any reccomendations on what to go for or to avoid?!?!
corsa_paz

18th Mar 04 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got the Alpine CDA-9812RB mp3 system

its nice and smart, plus its powerful.. 60x4.
wee_kev

18th Mar 04 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How is the quality? Some people say because it is an mp3 you loose out on quality.
James@CCC

18th Mar 04 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got a panasonic something (dunno the model) only cost 200 quid and plays mp3 and wma, and it looks gooood.

I havent noticed any decline in quality and i dont think you will if your getting ur mp3s from a cd, not downloading them of internet.

Definatly worth getting one, i wont go back to normal cd's now
dan_sri

18th Mar 04 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iv got the KDCM907 kenwood, i love it really good quality, for what i need nayway
LScorsa

18th Mar 04 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive just bought the new sony CDX-7500 with mP3 and its quality- i know people go on about sony being shit but its exellent.
mwg

18th Mar 04 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got Pioneer DEH-7500MP and it really is excellent quality. Cant tell difference between CD and MP3 on it. Its not too bad a price either
Scotty_B

18th Mar 04 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got the Pioneer 8400MP and its superb. No difference between CD and MP3. Bit dearer than most MP3 players though.
diddon

18th Mar 04 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa_boy69
I got Pioneer DEH-7500MP and it really is excellent quality. Cant tell difference between CD and MP3 on it. Its not too bad a price either

I have this one too, very good quality
Rocky

18th Mar 04 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got a Kenwood Z838w Had it nearly 2 years now had no props absoultely excellent system
Adam-D

18th Mar 04 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive had a kenwood system
top notch headunit
stil works now my bro has it
soundz_good

18th Mar 04 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by wee_kev
How is the quality? Some people say because it is an mp3 you loose out on quality.

It depends at which bit rate the MP3 was ripped at - but you should not loose quality.

I had a Soney MEX5DI but after a big down grade I have got a new Sony CDX - 7500, it is still in the post but no doubt will be as good as the next unit as it is only the very top units that you can tell the difference with, and then it will be the siginal to noise from the HU that would be most important, any HU around the same money will be pretty as much as the next one, but dont be silly and get a £99 HU if you can afford the £300 HU, then go to Hallfords test it- see if it feels sturdy and userfriendly - buy it somewhere cheaper and enjoy.
rocafella

21st Mar 04 at 00:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corser
ive got a panasonic something (dunno the model) only cost 200 quid and plays mp3 and wma, and it looks gooood.

I have a "Panasonic CQ-DFX783 - CD/MP3 PLAYER", listed at 200 quid - though i managed to find a bargain at 250 quid from my local dealer ...

This the same head unit you've got mate ????
danregs

21st Mar 04 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

most head units from sony/ alpine/ pioneer / blaupunkt / kenwood will keep you happy. the only diff between them really is gonna be what gimmicks/ extra features they have.
you may find that if you really get into using folders and stuff on mp3 discs then there will be some small differences. but if ur not really into the whole mp3 thing then you will prob only be using a straight forward mp3 disc.
you cant really tell that theres much difference between cda (CD Audio) and mp3 (Mpeg 3) quality unless the mp3 has been sampled at a VERY low rate. most mp3's you get off the net or kazaa (...etc) will be 128 or 192. you wont hear the diff between these unless you have a really big ICE build.

i would say go for whichever head unit has the features you wan on it as you wont find much diff on mp3 playback

dan
rocafella

21st Mar 04 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree with dan on that 1. Just choose the headunit that best suites your needs, if your not gonna use the feature then i wouldnt fork out the extra money.
The sound quality between 128 and 192 is unnoticable. I've got 15GB of ripped cds @ 192 quality, and the odd 128 quality that i've downloaded seems to be able to be played LOUDER on the mp3 headunit than the 192 without sounding awful My panasonic offers the folder option which i find very useful when u got 120 tracks on the 1 cd
Dom

21st Mar 04 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive got a pioneer 77MP and its great i use mp3s all the time, although i can notice the difference between mp3s and it gets more noticable the better speakers you have Thats why most (95%) of my mp3s are 256 - 320kbit, you tend to notice a better higher end and deeper bass with higher quality mp3s (thats what mp3 compression does, cuts the top and bottom off). So if you get a mp3 unit, download decent mp3s...although the downside being file sizes - ie: 128 can be 5mb where as a 320mb (same) track will be about 11mb etc, so less songs on a cd but hey

Also, with mp3 HU will notice that there can be a lag on loading the cd as well as changing tracks, and to be honest most mp3s HU's will do this. Infact, my mate has an alpine and it take about 25secs to load a mp3 CD and about 5secs to change track, whereas my slightly cheaper pionner takes about 15secs to load a mp3 cd and about the same to change track. So dont always assume that more expensive stuff will be better etc
AdiSRI

23rd Mar 04 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would reccomend the alpine units, they r very good.

The quality of the sound from MP3's wont be based upon the unit so much as the quality of the encoding of the file. Just make sure that the file sounds good and has a high bitrate before youwhack it up or u may find it sounds a bit crap!!
Corsa_Lova

24th Mar 04 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got sony mp40 - looks good - sounds good - result!
AdiSRI

25th Mar 04 at 01:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Lova
i got sony mp40 - looks good - sounds good - result!

just might not last too long.....
Cavey

25th Mar 04 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had my Sony MPX-80 for a year now, still works great, looks better than most others too, and has a CD try (like a PC) so it doesn't skip either. Unlike the kenwood i used to have
Rocky

26th Mar 04 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

kenwood z838w wins all the time

New Poll