corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Fitting suspension

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fitting suspension
Red_SXi

User status: Offline
12th Mar 04 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a pretty good idea how to do it, but was wondering if anyone has done a tutorial so i can check up on a few things?
littletriad

12th Mar 04 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on the back unbolt the struct inside the car first then bo the bolt underneath the car. the on the front un do the strut outside first then under the bonnet
Siberia

12th Mar 04 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

urm u forgot about jacking up the car
stuyw

12th Mar 04 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have a look at the max power manual
James@CCC

12th Mar 04 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i believe hes talking about on a corsa c, so no haynes or max power manual.

u doing this on ryans car? and congrats on the march feature car mate

[Edited on 12-03-2004 by corser]
MODDEDCORSAGSI

12th Mar 04 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im sure im goin 2 miss sum bit and do things differently 2 other ppl but this is how i did my gsi, my m8s sport and my currrent corsa b!

I did the back 1st both times, undo wheel bolts, jack the car up, palce axel stands underneath, take wheel off. put another jack under the axel to hold it, undo the bold at the bottom of the damper, lower the jack under the axel util the spring goes slack, usually means that the axel has to b all the way down. hard bit, i used a screwdreiver to lever the spring out but theres prob a safer way. the place in the new spring, shud go in really easy wiv it being shorter. jack the axel back up, replace the bolt through the end of the axel, preferabley a new 1 but i jus used the old 1 agen! replace wheel remove jack from axel, remove axel stand, and then lower gently on the jack makin sure the spring sits in place properly on both the axel and the car! repeat with other side or if u have enough jacks do both sides at the same time! let me know if u want me 2 tel u how 2 do the front!
MODDEDCORSAGSI

12th Mar 04 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh and thats jus changing the springs and i dnt kno if its the same4 a corsa c!
Red_SXi

12th Mar 04 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh its Ryan's, and cheers

Ok here's how i think i do it. (i'm only fitting springs)

Rear: Undo the bottom bolt for the damper with teh car at rest (no jack) then once the bolts are out jack the car up at the bodywork, and pull the old springs out and slot the new ones in.

Front:
Jack the car up at a point on the chassis (god knows where but i'll find one). Then unto the bolts under the bonnet at the top of the suspension, and then undo the 2 bolts at the bottom of the damper, then the whole thing slides out. Then with spring comrpessors tighten them on the springs to take away the force and undo the bolts at the top of the damper, and slide the spring off, then gently undo the compressors. Then i obviously have to compress the new springs and slot them on, and reverse the above to fit them.

The thing i am unsure about is when i undo the bolts on the suspension on the front, will the car drop at all or anthing? and do the dampers slide out of position very easy?
MODDEDCORSAGSI

12th Mar 04 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u dont need 2 compress the new springs as they wil b shorter and will wobble about in the damper when its as tight as it will go neway, but will b held tight when the weight of the car is on them, yes the strut cums out relatively easy after uve dun thew top and bottom 2 bolts, bottm bolts can b a bitch sumtime but ur car is quite new so shud b ok!
MODDEDCORSAGSI

12th Mar 04 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

undo wheel, jack the car up, take wheel off, undo top bolts a bit, then take bottom bolts out completely then undo top 1's completely, and then try and get the strut out around the break pipe, easily done, i dnt c y sum ppl pay loadz 2 get other ppl 2 do it 4 them
Siberia

12th Mar 04 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just going on a corsa B take off wheel--> undo the bolts at the bottom first--> there the ones on top of the strut--> take it out on the ground->> spring compressor till the compesssion is off the stut--> undo bolt at top of strut--> take pring off--> put spring compresson on new spring(u WILL neeed to do this) put spring on strut--> put cap and nut on and tight--> put back in car and tighten up top nuttts in the engine bay first--> then do u up bottom bolts--- bobs yer uncle!
Siberia

12th Mar 04 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MODDEDCORSAGSI
u dont need 2 compress the new springs as they wil b shorter and will wobble about in the damper when its as tight as it will go neway, but will b held tight when the weight of the car is on them, yes the strut cums out relatively easy after uve dun thew top and bottom 2 bolts, bottm bolts can b a bitch sumtime but ur car is quite new so shud b ok!

the cap wont go back on
MODDEDCORSAGSI

12th Mar 04 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

e.tym ive lowered a car the springs have been -60mm and the cap goes bk on fine, ive dun it three times, but i dnt kno if its only -40mm! and u might have a bit of trouble gettin the cap off the top unless u have the right tools, eg dished 18mm(i think) spanner
Siberia

12th Mar 04 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh it was -40 springs i did u need to reduce the spring size by about 2-3 inches to get cap back on
Red_SXi

12th Mar 04 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh this is 40mm, so might need compressing. Please can someone answer the question about the car dropping when you take the suspension out of the front
MODDEDCORSAGSI

12th Mar 04 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

y will t he car drop if uve got i jacked up??
Red_SXi

12th Mar 04 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because the jack it holding the chassis up, but when you remove teh suspension there is nothing stopping the bodywork from dropping.
MC Kustoms

12th Mar 04 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the car wont drop m8 only the hubs and breaks when u move them about nothing will drop and hit the floor
MODDEDCORSAGSI

12th Mar 04 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^^^^^^^^^^lyk he says m8
MC Kustoms

12th Mar 04 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yah the bodywork is welded onto the chassis
Red_SXi

12th Mar 04 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh ok cool
BabyBlade

13th Mar 04 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MODDEDCORSAGSI
e.tym ive lowered a car the springs have been -60mm and the cap goes bk on fine, ive dun it three times, but i dnt kno if its only -40mm! and u might have a bit of trouble gettin the cap off the top unless u have the right tools, eg dished 18mm(i think) spanner

Was going to try lowering my corsa when i was completely inconfident about working on my car, started on the front took the strut off compressed the spring and then realised i coldnt undo the bloomin cap!!

where can i get a dished 18mm spanner from as i'm going to be doing this pretty soon??

will check i can undo the cap this time before even jacking the feckin thing up
BabyBlade

13th Mar 04 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i.e

getting the spaner on that nut

ArdenSXi

13th Mar 04 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should get an 18mm offset spanner at most car stores.
Little tip for you, undo the nut before anything else, leave it on 3 or 4 threads, saves a lot of fuckin about with it off the car.
TOMAS

13th Mar 04 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The answer is you wont find a dished or gooseneck spanner to undo the nut whilst you hold the struts flats at the top. Easy answer is to LOOSEN the nut with a socket & wrench whilst the car is on the ground. Give it a good hard jerk my man The same goes for tightening it up. Wait until youve dropped the car on the ground otherwise it just spins round round baby round round. The car's weight 'gripps' the top cup with the below rubber

[Edited on 13-03-2004 by TOMAS]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll