corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Corsas Bark Worse Than Bite

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsas Bark Worse Than Bite
chris_lee100

User status: Offline
16th Feb 03 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just thought id spark off a discussion relating to the sheer number of suped up but also power lacking corsas. They look oh so nice but dont shit, the corsa is undoubtedly a beautiful car to modify and variety is the spice of life, just thinking though that the term fast car and corsa in the same sentence is become a more rare occurance, what do you think, the 1.6 certainly bites heels, not the 1.0 12v! lol
Kris TD

16th Feb 03 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be honest, all teh engines are slow compared to what other manufacturers pump out, but then they are easily modded
chris_lee100

16th Feb 03 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

always wondered how the engine equivelants would do with saxo in out and out drag
sri_boy

16th Feb 03 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

reliability is what vauxhall aim for when producing an engine and therefore performance is reduced, thats why manufacturers produce faster cars which blow up after 100,000 miles. Its al;l bout preference and i'm sure the 1.8 turbo that will be out soon will have a bit of bite
corsa120

16th Feb 03 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh maybe the bark is worse than the bite but ive took on some good enemy's and won but also lost to! my 1.4 16v sport has 140 bhp i can beat a bmw 3 series pish, beat a gsi, saxo vtr, bout same as a 106 gti and saxo vts, heck i even beat a 2.5 v6 passat of the lights til the v6 kicked in at 3rd gear then he left me lol beat all the focus's part from the st170 and stock 2.0 all good fun
AgentBlue

16th Feb 03 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

GM strangle the performance of their engines in favor of low emissions maximum fuel economy and maximun service intervals.
But the MG ZR 105 is a 1.4 16v with 105bhp and has good economy emissions and average service intervals.

Why can't GM do the same??
dazz25

16th Feb 03 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think top speed is very important.

When can you ever get up to them speeds, not often where I live!!

I just like people to look at my car and im sure theres a few people in here that think the same!
Nath

16th Feb 03 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Less power also keeps the insurance down.
supacorsa

16th Feb 03 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes but for under 1000 you can get maye 250 bhp in a corsa
STEvieXE

16th Feb 03 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will u tell me how to get 250bhp in my corsa 4 under 1000 guid and where u can get it. so i get get it. PLEASE lol
goldcorsa

16th Feb 03 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stick a tuned LET engine in that may get the corsa up to 250BHP, and cost less than £1000 if you can get hold of one from a scrap yard.
STEvieXE

17th Feb 03 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah but what about conversion costs?
Fear

17th Feb 03 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No offence but there is the insurance costs!!!!! Yeh you can get 250BHP+ in a corsa if you really want but when your talking the best part of £1000 for a 1.0L then the only thing you can do without sending the insurance sky high is make it look good!!!! and anyway some people dont care about performance alot like to cruise and when your cruising a high street or something you dont need 250BHP!!!
Plus BHP's dont tend to come cheap!!!
Makarus

17th Feb 03 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They aint bad cars. the engines are an old design though, going back to the Nova's.

They are normally cheap to insure. And remember that most people who mod cars are young going from about 17-30 tops normally, before your about 23 its hard to get decent insurance costs for modding so many people choose to have a lower spec engine so they can mod and still afford the insurance.
Plymouth_Corsa

17th Feb 03 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

vauxhall make good looking cars, the main reason french cars are quicker as standard is because they are so much lighter, but thats because they are not as solid or as well built, ive had 2 saxo's in the past, and wouldnt change either for my corsa, its so much nicer all round!

Vauxhall's hold value pretty well as well, and it goes to show, all other car manufacturers stoped there small cars like saxo, 106, where as the corsa, keeps living on...only other car going for longer is the fiesta, and if you count the nova as the corsa a which it is really, then its not a lot in it....2nd best selling small car of all time, probably the nova/corsa...been going since 1979-1980...around that anyway, and they ALWAYS sell, so vauxhall must be doing something right.

The 1.6 16v Corsa engine is heavily restricted as standard, cure that and you've got yourself a vts beater no problem, been proved in the past.

And as for competition against rivals, all i can say is redline saxo vs corsa day...corsa's won, so nothing can be said, although it was/will be.

What other car (example is 1.4 16v SRi/sport) offers good performance, cheap tax and fuel costs and insurance group6!?! Nothing comes close, other then the VTR but that is higher tax and not as good on petrol.

A lot of us are not all that bothered about performance, we just want kits, and ICE - thats where cruising is heading in my eyes, with insurance crippling youngsters so much, we all turn to ICE and kits and wheels etc, who goes to a cruise and races around, those are track day people, Im a cruise attender and people dont care that my corsa is a 1.0, it has a smart bodykit, big wheels and a very loud ICE install....thats more then enough to impress people. I would love a big engine to finish it off, but until insurance goes down, then that won't be happening just yet.
STEvieXE

17th Feb 03 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine is a 1.2 16v and it has 427bhp. peco exhaust abd k+n filter and splitfire sparkplugs
Plymouth_Corsa

17th Feb 03 at 23:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

427bhp - nice one mate, i got double that just from removing my backbox....
Makarus

17th Feb 03 at 23:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, my 1.2 8V has 426BHP but remember it has 8V less than yours so I have done quite well.
Plymouth_Corsa

17th Feb 03 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

:-D very well done id say...
RichardSXi
Banned

18th Feb 03 at 01:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Compare 1600 GSi to a VTS

TJ_KING

18th Feb 03 at 03:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I find it so funny the amount of bickering that goes on in here just because someone has 200cc extra!!!
Plymouth_Corsa

18th Feb 03 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or i have so much less........lol
Gambit

18th Feb 03 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Plymouth_Corsa

Vauxhall's hold value pretty well as well, and it goes to show, all other car manufacturers stoped there small cars like saxo, 106, where as the corsa, keeps living on...only other car going for longer is the fiesta, and if you count the nova as the corsa a which it is really, then its not a lot in it....2nd best selling small car of all time, probably the nova/corsa...been going since 1979-1980...around that anyway, and they ALWAYS sell, so vauxhall must be doing something right.

what about the VW polo??

Daimo B

18th Feb 03 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chris Lee,

aye, as standard, Saxo n Pugs are quicker (16v). But as proved on my Corsa Vs Saxo Day. Corsas, modified, will still beat a saxo
jipp

18th Feb 03 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AgentBlue
GM strangle the performance of their engines in favor of low emissions maximum fuel economy and maximun service intervals.
But the MG ZR 105 is a 1.4 16v with 105bhp and has good economy emissions and average service intervals.

Why can't GM do the same??

cos the 2.0l range doesn't have much BHP as standard.
example being the 1.6 and 1.4 16v engines, when these were originally produced the kicked out 150 and 130 bhp respectivly. these ebgines are fitted to astras as weel so why pay the extra for 1.8 or 2.0 astra when a 1.4 or 1.6 will match the power???

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll