corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » PREPARING AN ENGINE BAY

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author PREPARING AN ENGINE BAY
Greasemonkey

User status: Offline
1st Mar 04 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right after another of me engine nightmares it looks like its gonna be another week till its finished, i am having my car delivered back to me tomoz, enginless, i want to clean and re-spray the engine bay, suspension turrets need doing, chassie legs, battery tray etc, any tips, the battery tray is my main concern cos it rusty, what do i use to paint over this, can i get something to kill the rust off then what do i paint it with before applying primer paint and laquer?????
Any tips would be helpfull cheers
blackula

1st Mar 04 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Parts like battery tray could be blasted. Leaking batteries can of course of avoided, hard to get at rust, can be converted with chemicals, it converts rust to a another chemical from iron oxide. Etching primers on perfect panels totally rust free is what you want. Daubing on anti rust primers is a bodge. I've used rust converters , zinc primers, wax-oyl on and over rust and rust is one hard bastard.
Kris TD

1st Mar 04 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

buy a new battery tray from vauxhall, they are only like 10 quid.
Greasemonkey

1st Mar 04 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine is like welded in though its an m-reg gsi
Kris TD

1st Mar 04 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fair enough, mine is too, my bros one is a bolt in jobbie though. use the dremmel on it, paint it in crust then black hammerite etc.. cant see it anyway
Greasemonkey

1st Mar 04 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

am i ok to sand down the suspension turrets and paint them, do i need to use special paint or do i just paint it like any normal panel
Kris TD

1st Mar 04 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i just painted my engine bay, did it in anthracite hammerite, just painted straight over the top, well thinking about it think i sanded it a little

New Poll