corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Painting an already painted surface.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Painting an already painted surface.
Scotty_B

User status: Offline
20th Feb 04 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have bought a grill for my girlfiends Fiesta but it is painted red and I want to paint it blue the same as her car.

What do I have to do?
Red_SXi

20th Feb 04 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some people will say you have to rub it down to primer, i disagree. As long as you key the surface you should be fine. I'd re-prime it tho so it gives you a good surface to work on
thekemp

20th Feb 04 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you rub it down then spray a high build primer on it , smooth that down with wet- wet n dry then paint it . that should work !
Gavin
Premium Member

20th Feb 04 at 17:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd say nearly the same.... u need to get it as smooth as poss (thats if its not already smooth) if its a shite paint job then start from stratch!!! if is pretty good surface to work on the do ^^^^^

pew pew pew pewwwww
M4rk P

20th Feb 04 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

grey scotchbrite it, unless it has stonechips
Kris TD

20th Feb 04 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

grey scotchbrite, then just top coat, no need for primer unless as above it has stone chips.
Colour-Tec Coachworks

21st Feb 04 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You dont have to reprime it, but what you may have to do is give the grille a coat of white or grey paint. The reason for this is if the colour you are applying is a metalic pearl it needs a dedicated colour base. Depending oon the top colour depends on the under colour... hense the name "2 stage pearl". Alternatively, if its a solid colour, give the grille a rub down with scotchbrite or wet'n'dry then paint it with 2k paint, this being not 'so' be base dependant... however if the grille was say black, then obviously such a strong colour is going to effect the new finsih in terms of shade colour

New Poll