corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » let me get this right.... monoblocks

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author let me get this right.... monoblocks
RichR
Premium Member

User status: Offline
20th Feb 04 at 00:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this may sound dim but I always assumed a monoblock amp was used to run one amp; however Ive just been told u can run two off one - can some1 let me know cause Im just about to buy an alpine monoblock - and now hope to run 2 type r subs off of it
corb

20th Feb 04 at 00:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you mean run two SUBS off one amp??

you can run loadsa subs off one amp. Just need to be clever about the wiring.
RichR
Premium Member

20th Feb 04 at 00:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah its a monoblock - which I always assumed meant one channel which could run one amp - now Ive been told i can run two off of it - how would u wire this up

Im assuming, +ive on amp, to +ive of sub 1, then to +ive of sub 2,
then negative of sub2, to -ive sub1 and finally back to -ive of amp
RichR
Premium Member

20th Feb 04 at 00:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

RichR
Premium Member

20th Feb 04 at 00:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

RichR
Premium Member

20th Feb 04 at 00:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just found these - but the type rs are DVC, how will this effect it.
corb

20th Feb 04 at 01:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when ordering it all, let them know what it is you plan to do and they can supply you with the correct subs, eg, dual 4ohm coils.
SRi_m00k

20th Feb 04 at 06:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mono block does not refer to the channel type...rather the sound it produces....ie...mono not stereo as its only for subs

i've a genesis mini block for sale if anyones interested...absolutely mint!
TOMAS

20th Feb 04 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mate if you inted to run two type r's off a single Alpine M500 you need the DUAL voice Coil 2+2 ohms subs. You wire each sub's coil's in series and then run both the subs in parallel to the amp.
cdcool1

20th Feb 04 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can think of dual voice coil as essentially two subs, and wire them as above, whichever way you choose
Dom

20th Feb 04 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
this may sound dim but I always assumed a monoblock amp was used to run one amp; however Ive just been told u can run two off one - can some1 let me know cause Im just about to buy an alpine monoblock - and now hope to run 2 type r subs off of it

Run on amp? you mean sub(s) i hope

But yea, MONOblocks are one channel'd amps, and the majority of them have a limit of around 100Hz, so there only suitable for SUBS. However, you can run as many subs as you like from the single monoblock amp, as long as the resistance created by the subs being linked (either in parallel or series) matches what the amp can produce.
But yea, like tomas said, get the alpines in dual voice coil format and run them in parallel (like the diagram shows)
DC

21st Feb 04 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The voice coils of the subs you buy all depend on what impedience ya amp will run at and how much power ya need.
If ya amp is 2 ohm stable and ya getting 2 type r dual voice coils you need dual 2 ohm voice coil subs wired in series.
That wil give u a 2ohm load at the amp and give u the largest amount of power from the amp within the reccomended guidelines of amp stability. If you were to wire them in parallel you would see a low 0.5ohms.
If you were to buy two dual 4 ohm voice coil subs you would get either a 4ohm (series) or 1 ohm (parallel) load at the amp
D

[Edited on 21-02-2004 by DC]
corsa-sxi

21st Feb 04 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought that u can get 2 type r subs dual 4 ohm and wire them to show a 2ohm load? instead of buying 2 dual 2 ohm
TOMAS

21st Feb 04 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes but DC if you wired each dual 2ohm sub's coils in series then you can wire the subs in parallel to show you 2ohms
RichR
Premium Member

21st Feb 04 at 22:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its alright - just haviong one now - but still a type r (so I can sink it into the spare wheel well)- how do I wire this to the amp, cause its dual voice coil - Ive had the 300 model amp me thinks - I'll knwo more 2moro
RichR
Premium Member

21st Feb 04 at 22:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if u treat each voice coil as a seperate sub - it best to wire for a 2ohm load or 8ohm - from the diagrams above or is there another way entirely?
Ally

22nd Feb 04 at 00:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol summary pleaseh

Ur getting an Alpine MRDM300 amp.

• 300W x 1 RMS [2Ohm @14.4V (1%THD, 20Hz-200Hz)]
• 150W x 1 RMS [4Ohm @14.4V (1%THD, 20Hz-200Hz)]
• 200W x 1 RMS [2Ohm @12V (1%THD, 20Hz-200Hz)]
• 100W x 1 RMS [4Ohm @12V (1%THD, 20Hz-200Hz)]

Im assuming your getting a 12" Alpine Type R with dual 4 ohm coils.

To get the maximum possible power out of the amp you would need to wire the coils like this, then connect directly to the amplifier.

RichR
Premium Member

22nd Feb 04 at 12:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so would that sub and amp combo be suited

- picked amps up this morning - got two v12 4channels to run components, bridging both to give 2ch per amp; theres gonna be a roof pod with a set of components in then custom fibreglass/carbon door build with them in as well

Richie

22nd Feb 04 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

An Alpine 12" Type R Dual 4 ohm coils will suit a Alpine MRDM300 perfectly
DC

23rd Feb 04 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i no u can run the 2 ohm DVC subs at 2 ohms. It was the 4 ohm 1's i was talking about if ya read ma reply mate
DC

23rd Feb 04 at 08:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Richie
An Alpine 12" Type R Dual 4 ohm coils will suit a Alpine MRDM300 perfectly

Yer i agree but i had the problem of having 1 dual 4 ohm JL sub runnin at 2 ohms. Then when i wanted another 1 off the same amp it meant either a 1ohm or 4ohm load at the amp unless TOMAS can help me out and explain differently
Richie

23rd Feb 04 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you plan to get another one you should go for a 1 ohm stable amp, it makes sense.
RichR
Premium Member

23rd Feb 04 at 09:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im dropping it in the spare wheels well now, as opposed to the other build Id come up with - so yeah only having one - Im assuming that the SWR 1241 is the 4ohm version as opposed to the 1221 which is the 2 ohm.

RichR
Premium Member

23rd Feb 04 at 09:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Richie, saw a sneek preview of ur feature as well - when stubbsy had his feature done - looking luverly
Richie

23rd Feb 04 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 1241D is the dual 4 ohm version which is the one you would want

Cheers for lettin me know about feature, any idea how many pages?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll