corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » egr stuff! help asap!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author egr stuff! help asap!
broster
Premium Member

User status: Offline
10th Feb 04 at 12:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok basicaly i wanna know exactly what it does, i think it pumps exhaust gasses back thru the inlet to warm the cat up etc, but only when engine is cold am i right? basically i thnk mine is still pumpin gasses thru when engine is warm as car is runnin wierd when i cruise at a constant speen but ok when i accelerate? iv got a new exhaust manifold with blanking pins where the egr shit goes, what do i need to do to take it off? will just taking it off cause the ecu light to stay on?? need help asap! p.s. im getting no warning lights on at the moment! by the way joff im sure u mentioned it to me on sunday!
Wolf In Welsh Clothing

10th Feb 04 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's the secondary air injection pump your on about taking off.
Only pumps air into the exhaust as the engine warms up.
When the idle decreases to 1000rpm you normally hear a click behind the dash as it turns off.
ECU light came on on my 98 sport when i took just the pump off (had left the valve on the exhaust manifold).
You could leave the pump in there if you wanted, just not connected.
Hope uve got a de-cat!
broster
Premium Member

10th Feb 04 at 15:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why hopei got a de-cat? ill be fitting it tomoz.
Wolf In Welsh Clothing

10th Feb 04 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you disconnect the pump then it won't be pumping air through the cat to burn the excess fuel on warm up, may reduce the life of your cat if uve got one fitted, don't they explode if they get blocked?
broster
Premium Member

10th Feb 04 at 15:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well ill take it off otmoz anyway, exploding cat, sweet! lol
broster
Premium Member

11th Feb 04 at 09:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ttt
Cybermonkey

11th Feb 04 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

EGR is required by law, and is not the same thing you are going on about. You are talking about the secondary air pump as already mentioned by wolfy. Its a system that replaces the primitive hot air shrouding and ducting found on the old 1.2/1.4 8v corsa engines. These used to lift hot air straight off the manifold to the airbox to heat the air as it enters the engine. These engines had very simple fuelling systems and used RON plugs instead of modern knock sensors. So to adjust the fuelling rate, the incoming temperature was changed according to how much heat was allowed into the airbox from the manifold cover. This was measured using a Vacuum pipe. EGR is a different thing altogether, and pumps exhaust gases back through the intake to be recycled over and over before they exit the engine. All new-ish cars are required by law to contain some form of EGR valve.
broster
Premium Member

11th Feb 04 at 10:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i get ya now! cheers

New Poll