corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Networking Question

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Networking Question
luca2020

User status: Offline
10th Feb 04 at 02:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi i have a question on home networking

if there are 7 people in a house, and all are wanting to connect to eachother as well as the internet, would it go like this:

7 PCs
Switch
Router

oviously all connected with cat5 cable, can the route act as a Broadband modem?
Munchie

10th Feb 04 at 03:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

NO....WILL NEED 7 NETWORK CARDS TO CONNECT TO THE CAT5 CABLES
drunkenfool

10th Feb 04 at 03:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the router will not act as a broadband modem as it is just a router. You can buy boxes which have both devices combined into one, but most of them are either 1 or 4 port. There may well be 8 port ones out there, but if not, you will be better off buying a modem/router combined, with one output, then run that with cat 5 to the uplink port on an 8 port hub.

[Edited on 10-02-2004 by drunkenfool]
luca2020

10th Feb 04 at 03:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the network cards go without saying

yer just thought 8 port switching hub - modem/router

so from the modem/router i would just need 1 connection to the switching hub, so i would just really need a 1 port modem/router?
dacorsaman

10th Feb 04 at 07:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What connection are you on, Broadband?

If so theres and easy way to do it.

Buy a Wireless Modem/Gateway Router

And 7 Wireless Cards

When you set it the router up you will get instructions on how to access it, usually 192.168.2.1 or something like that, Then you need your user name and pass, along with the DNS Servers(Available from your ISP)

Once this is up and running you need to set up the wireless cards, usually very easy!!!

Then go in and set each machine with a static IP address (ie 192.168.2.5) or something close.

Put the router IP address in the Default Gateway, and the DNS servers under the properties of the Network Card (TCP/IP configuration) and thats about it!

Phew

Once this is in
Siberia

10th Feb 04 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ya dont need a router at all

7 ---network cards

1 --8 port switch(cant get a 7 port 1)

1 ---dsl modem

Cables to connect them all

set up your LAN I.E the 7 computers get them all talkin to each other forget about the internet bit for a second

once u have this done desinate one computer (the most powerful one) as your main computer. connector ur dsl modem to this

go to winproxy.com and download winproxy or download a program called winroute

winroute has more features like DHCP but u can use static IP's also.

this program makes the computer connected to the net act like a router however u can still use this computer as normal once u set up winroute. It just sits in your system tray

have a read about it u can set it in serveral different configurations to suite your needs.
luca2020

10th Feb 04 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

getting 2mb line

dont want wireless network due to the fact the house is allready semi-networked, each room has cat5 cable running to it and all going into 1 room where the modem would be

so yer one 8 port switch but is it possible to have a modem without a destination computer, hense the reason for a modem/router + allso we want the modem/router to act as a hardware firewall
drunkenfool

10th Feb 04 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can have firewall software running on a gateway computer if you wanted, but it would mean that it would have to be on all the time. The easiest way is just get a box that does the same job, which also uses a lot less electricity (mounts up over time!). Are you going for cable or ADSL?
Richie

10th Feb 04 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best built in combo modem/routers ive used is the Netgear DG814 (New model is DG834) and for a single port at this price these beauty's are unbeatable http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=48448
Melville

10th Feb 04 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry to invade your thread but......

at the moment I have 8 computers all connected via a switch and one is connected to the net which has to be on all the time. Im trying to get away from this and have been looking into some routers. How does the internet actually "connect" if you use a router as at the moment with BT you have to click "connect" to the remote computer.

Thanks for any advice
luca2020

10th Feb 04 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well not sure yet, whatever is cheepest for a 2mb line

Austin that looks good mate, were on a budget (were students) but that looks g8 for what we need

so that connected to a 8 switch hub (there cheep as chips), connect all the PCs up to the hub, get the Broadband sorted out and were away, sweet thanx lads
drunkenfool

10th Feb 04 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the routers usually have adsl 'modems' built in. One wire connects the box to the ADSL line on the wall, and another wire connects the router to your hub. All the software is contained within the router that lets it connect to the internet and share the connection etc (you can access the router remotely to set set it up, either with HTTP or Telnet).
dacorsaman

10th Feb 04 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Since you have cat 5 already installed the best way would be to buy a routerwhich you can plug your adsl modem into, Since you may need more than four cat5 ports a switch may be needed also/

Piss easy to do and no need for winroute or any other pish like that, just configure the TCP/IP properties of your network cards to the router IP address, and add BT server addresses usually 213.120.62.99 an 213.62.62.100.

The router will always be connected 24/7, once you enter the user and pass.

Hope this helps mate, installed loads of routers recently, becoming the in thing to have if youve got broadband. But seriously Wireless is the way to go!
luca2020

10th Feb 04 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

were gonna go this way about it:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3Jldmlld3M=&product_uid=55667

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=44855

and were getting a 2mb bulldog connection
Dan B

10th Feb 04 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bulldog 2Mbps is Datastream, I'd seriously avoid ANY datastream-based connection at the moment, and stick with IPStream.

I know someone working at Bulldog, and you'll be lucky to get 1Mbps through a 2Mbps connection, never mind the full 2Mbps...
luca2020

10th Feb 04 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats the difference between datastream and ip stream?
BlueCorsa

10th Feb 04 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Melville

at the moment I have 8 computers all connected via a switch and one is connected to the net which has to be on all the time. Im trying to get away from this and have been looking into some routers. How does the internet actually "connect" if you use a router as at the moment with BT you have to click "connect" to the remote computer.

Thanks for any advice

The modem/router usually has a web-interface that you point your browser to, put your settings in (like ISP username/password) and then click connect. You can just leave the Router on all the time, connected to the ADSL and just restart the router every few weeks or so (just like you restart your PC/server every so often).

I have an ADSL modem/router combined, connected to an 8-port hub, with an 802.11 Access Point which serves 2 laptops, and 2 other computers connected to the wired hub + Playstation 2. Also got Print Server connected to the 8-port hub to share printer out on the network.

Tariq
Firestartar

10th Feb 04 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've the same scenario, Student house, 7 computers all connected to an 8 port switch, this then goes into a 4 port router, and this goes into a NTL modem, so its like this,

NTL Modem 1MB
\/
4 port Router (Belkin)
\/
8 port Switch
\/
7 PC's all on XP Pro

All the PC's can connect to the internet, but we cant work out how to get them talking to each other.
luca2020

10th Feb 04 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmmm with a switching hub u should be able to communicate with eachother
John_C

10th Feb 04 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Firestartar
I've the same scenario, Student house, 7 computers all connected to an 8 port switch, this then goes into a 4 port router, and this goes into a NTL modem, so its like this,

NTL Modem 1MB
\/
4 port Router (Belkin)
\/
8 port Switch
\/
7 PC's all on XP Pro

All the PC's can connect to the internet, but we cant work out how to get them talking to each other.

y have a 4 port router? totally wasted. modem to the switch surely
Firestartar

10th Feb 04 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not quite sure on the function of a router, but am under the impression that its needed to at least initialise the connection, and also to offer some protection to the computers behind it from outside attacks.
John_C

10th Feb 04 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only thing i can think of is a coax connection to the router, which the switch hasn't got. switch is eseentially a better version of a router.
Firestartar

10th Feb 04 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This site was given to me and I've loosely followed it to get things going, but never figured out how to get computers talking to each other,

http://www.networklab.co.uk/cmodem/index.html
John_C

10th Feb 04 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i c where ur coming from now, router is assigning the ip address and the switch is just providing more connections. could of jus bought a 8 port router
Melville

10th Feb 04 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BlueCorsa
quote:
Originally posted by Melville

Thanks for any advice

The modem/router usually has a web-interface that you point your browser to, put your settings in (like ISP username/password) and then click connect. You can just leave the Router on all the time, connected to the ADSL and just restart the router every few weeks or so (just like you restart your PC/server every so often).

I have an ADSL modem/router combined, connected to an 8-port hub, with an 802.11 Access Point which serves 2 laptops, and 2 other computers connected to the wired hub + Playstation 2. Also got Print Server connected to the 8-port hub to share printer out on the network.

Tariq

Cheers mate. One other question. The modem I got with BT is USB. Can I connect this to a router or is it best to buy another modem that has rj35 on it?? Cheers

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll