corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » front window tints

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author front window tints
rudecors@

User status: Offline
   2nd Feb 04 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just took my car to have the windows tinted and been told that the two front side windows cant be tinted, said it was illegal. Has any one had this prob? And has n e 1 pulled over because of this?
Adam-D

2nd Feb 04 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there not sposed to do it
some company do it and say they never u gotta say u did it aparently
stuyw

2nd Feb 04 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u can tint ur side windows but it needs to be 30% in. Light smoke tints should be ok i reckon. If u get them darker n the plod pull u, then they can fine u and/or make u take them out, so its not worth spending up to 200 notes for the coppers to tell u to remove them
Greasemonkey

2nd Feb 04 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the company that did mine didnt say it was illegal they just wrote down on the invoice that the tints they put in were of a legal % which they wernt the fronts are 2 shades too dark
rudecors@

2nd Feb 04 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

apparently the law for this has only just changed this year
Greg_M

2nd Feb 04 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by stuyw
u can tint ur side windows but it needs to be 30% in. Light smoke tints should be ok i reckon. If u get them darker n the plod pull u, then they can fine u and/or make u take them out, so its not worth spending up to 200 notes for the coppers to tell u to remove them

depends of your windows are tinted from the factory like mine. then you cant tint them at all
MattyB

2nd Feb 04 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As of January 1st 2004, it is ILLEGAL to have ANY TINT on the front 2 side windows.

Thats bout the 10th time i've said it on here.

Any tinting firms found providing this service, can themselves be prosecuted, so i very much doubt you'll find anywhere doing this any longer.

Matt
Greasemonkey

2nd Feb 04 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

90% of all cars have some sort of a tint on there windows, just get a light smoke on the front and dont worry about it but trust me when i got mine back i was dissapointed i wanted the fronts darker
Greasemonkey

2nd Feb 04 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so we gotta prove when we got our tints done now, that sucks
MattyB

2nd Feb 04 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No - it does not matter when they were done.

Even if your car was done 5 years ago, then it is still illegal. However, the police will be leaniant in such cases. I believe that will grace you a 14day period to have the tint removed.

I dont care myself, i still went out on Jan 2nd and got 30% tints all round on my Pug, and touch wood, so far, so good.

I also dont understand what would happen if they pulled my dad over. His CR-V has factory tints all round, and its not a film either. Its actually smoked glass, which cannot be removed. The only way it could be done would be to purchase clear front glass, and at over £100 a side, somehow i dont think my dad would do such a thing.

Matt
Greasemonkey

2nd Feb 04 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i seen a CR-V the other day and thought that, the tints dont actually look legal on them im sure lol
Kris TD

2nd Feb 04 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not smoked glass matty, its a spray they put on the glass. mates dads ctr has silly dark windows as a factory option too.
Red_SXi

2nd Feb 04 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wot happens if your car was tinted last year then? you have to take the front ones off?
Greasemonkey

2nd Feb 04 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it seems that way????, i carnt belive they would make you do that
Kris TD

2nd Feb 04 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i have non e marked rear lights, no reflectors, 160 watt headlight bulbs, plenty of other stuff which i shouldnt have, never had a problem with it, i dont see why they would pull you over anyway.
Anish1905

2nd Feb 04 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had my tints done last week. I had light smoked at front and limo black elsewhere. Thats the legal tints u can get. But im going back on saturday and getting limo at the front. As i see it if i get pulled over i'll say i bought the car like that. Hehe
Greg_M

2nd Feb 04 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Anish1905
i had my tints done last week. I had light smoked at front and limo black elsewhere. Thats the legal tints u can get. But im going back on saturday and getting limo at the front. As i see it if i get pulled over i'll say i bought the car like that. Hehe

yeah and they will still book you
Greg_M

2nd Feb 04 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Greasemonkey

they dont unless they are over 45% i believe, althoough they make give you a warning of 30 fine. dont worry
Baz-Zico

2nd Feb 04 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My pal got pulled over in his civic jordan, they told him his front 2 tints were illegal so he just put both front windows down n said he'll drive like that haha no tints officer, they cop was pissed off cos he out smarted him, he even said u cant drive like that, my m8 said ill wear a jacket LOL
MattyB

2nd Feb 04 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Greg12v
quote:
Originally posted by Greasemonkey

they dont unless they are over 45% i believe, althoough they make give you a warning of 30 fine. dont worry

Have you not read ANY of this post???

ALL FRONT WINDOW TINTS ARE ILLEGAL. Not 30%, no 45%, but any. In the eyes of the law, even a light 22.5% smoke is illegal now.

Yes all cars have a factory tint, but thats obviously not included as every car would be illegal. Prob <10%, which is hardly visable anyway.

It is apparently a £30 fine immediately for any tint and fix it note to get them removed and the car tested.

Matt

[Edited on 02-02-2004 by MattyB]
MattyB

2nd Feb 04 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kris TD
its not smoked glass matty, its a spray they put on the glass. mates dads ctr has silly dark windows as a factory option too.

always wondered how they did it! Nevertheless, its still around 25% tint!! lol.

Matt
kev_corsa

2nd Feb 04 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all window tints (films) forward of the B pillar are illegal, anyone who says they arent dont know what they are on about

Window Tinting - Amendments to Legislation

During the early part of 2004, Section 32 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations will be amended to include “Window Tint Films”, where such materials attached to the glass are capable of reducing the Visible Light Transmission of forward windows to below prescribed levels. These changes will be back-dated to become applicable from 1st January 2004.

This will effectively ban virtually all tinted films fitted to windows forward of the B-Post on any vehicle that is to be driven on UK roads.

The reason for these changes is the recent proliferation of vehicles that are excessively tinted. Some vehicles may be so heavily tinted that they present a real danger when used on public roads. The action being taken by the Government follows a fatality that occurred recently where a heavily tinted car was involved in a collision with a motorcycle and the window tints were held to blame due to the vision of the driver being impaired.

There is however, a recognised difference between “light window tints” which may be considered safe for road use (such as those supplied to you by Pentagon) and “excessively dark window tints” which are not.

There has also been a great deal of debate in recent years about the legitimacy of window tints that do not obscure the vision of the driver. A clear case has been argued that road-safe window tints do not actually conflict with existing regulations. The Department for Transport have argued however that Section 32 was always intended to cover materials attached to the glass, despite the fact that no mention of this is made in the Regulation itself.

The only solution remaining would be to amend the Legislation.

Consequently and in order to clarify the situation, the Government have finally decided to up-date the Regulations to specifically include Tinted Films since, in the view of the Police and the Department for Transport, this is the only way in which the problems of excessive tints can be remedied.

Unfortunately however, even tint films that may be considered to be safe for road use will now be viewed as in conflict with the Regulations, enabling the Police and Vehicle Inspectorate to take action against vehicle owners.

This has significant implications for the owners of vehicles that have window tints already fitted and also those that are responsible for installing or selling window tints.

Implications for the vehicle owner

After much discussion, a sympathetic Enforcement Policy has been agreed between the Department for Transport and The Glass and Glazing Federation to ensure that all vehicle owners that have had tints applied in the past may be dealt with fairly. This applies in particular where the infringement is with respect to tints that do not pose a significant threat to Road Safety, despite being in contravention with the amended Regulations.

In any event, after the date of the amendment to Section 32, the owner of a vehicle that has window tints applied forward of the B-Post could be challenged by either a Police Officer or by an Inspector from the Department for Transport’s Vehicle Inspectorate, where their vehicle is noticed being driven on Public Roads.

Where such a vehicle is stopped and the window tints applied are such that the Visible Light Transmission level, when measured using an approved device falls to below prescribed levels, the following enforcement guidelines have been agreed with, and recommended, by the Government.

Above 30% Visible Light Transmission (Less Severe Window Tints)

The owner or driver of such a vehicle would be required to have the tinted film removed from the windows under the direction of either a Rectification Notice or a Delayed Prohibition Notice. A period of grace will apply for a limited number of days (normally ten) during which time the vehicle may be driven whilst the rectification work is to be completed.

In either case, the vehicle will need to be inspected by either a Police Officer or Vehicle Inspectorate Officer to confirm that the glass has been restored to a compliant condition. Prosecution is unlikely in such circumstances provided the vehicle owner complies fully.

Action that needs to be taken

All Businesses that have supplied window tints forward of the B-Post are being encouraged by the Government and the Glass and Glazing Federation to contact all of their previous customers to inform them of the changes to Legislation and to offer them a chance to have their vehicle rectified by having the front tints removed.

[Edited on 02-02-2004 by kev_corsa]
kev_corsa

2nd Feb 04 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hope this clears it up for everyone.

MattyB

2nd Feb 04 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, i know all this already....its just some ppl wont listen.
kev_corsa

2nd Feb 04 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i just laugh at the people who keep thinking they are right all the time when they havent got a clue wot they r on about

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll