corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Wheels - 17x7 - ET38

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wheels - 17x7 - ET38
Aussie GSi

User status: Offline
   17th Jan 04 at 02:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey guys,

Hey, I know this question has been done to the absolute FCUKING DEATH, but I've been getting some conflicting information.

OK, I have a GSi. At the moment, the suspension is all standard GSi components. I probably would want to uprate the suspension a bit further, a bit down the track, but I wanted to wait to see how she sits on bigger wheels. If she's a bit high, I might take her down a few cms (not much).

Now, alot of people on Corsasport agree that the best offset for a 17x7" wheel on a Corsa B, is ET45, yeah?

I've been speaking to a few guys at tyre shops, who are all telling me that if I was to go to a 7" wide wheel (1" over the standard 14x6"), that I'd have to come down to approx an ET40. I have also been shown the fitment book for Momo, which says it should be ET38.

Can anyone with a Corsa B, with 17x7 ET38 wheels, tell me what their experiences are? Input from anyone else would be appreciated too. If I need to do arch work, that's not a worry.

Any help . . .

Thanks guys.

Aus

[Edited on 17-01-2004 by Aussie GSi]
luca2020

17th Jan 04 at 03:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ll mate u still need an offset of around 45/49 (even tho proper vaux offset is 49)

many many many people have 17x7, but nearly allways go for an ET45ish, and u should be able to drop it 40mm with minimum arch work (ie take out inner arch bolts)
Aussie GSi

17th Jan 04 at 03:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the quick reply mate.

Really dude? Cos a guy I was talking to today, reckons he had a customer recently, and they had 18's on a Corsa B with ET35?

Sorry to be a pain in the ass, but exactly why do we need such a high offset? Is it just because of those little hex bolts? Cos if we COULD get ET38's on, they'd fill out the guards a bit better. They wouldn't burrow back into the wheel arch as much, if you understand me.

Thanks mate.

Aus

[Edited on 17-01-2004 by Aussie GSi]
luca2020

17th Jan 04 at 03:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cos the vaux off set is ET49 mate, im pretty sure vaux made it 49 so that if u get a puncher at high speed u can still control the car

i have 18s on a ET42 offset, but his is because i have coilovers and a wide arch kit

ET49 will give u the best handleing in a corsa, if u want to fill ur arches alittle more then id say ET42, but u will have slighly more problems when lowering it due to the tyre catching the arch
Aussie GSi

17th Jan 04 at 04:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for your help mate.

C
Kerry

17th Jan 04 at 09:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

vauxgirl is running ET38 with 17's but i am unsure of wot width the wheels are. she also has is lowered 60mm on the rear and 40mm on the front

RobHayes

17th Jan 04 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i am running ET37 17s. down 60mm front and rear
have de-bolted both front and rear arches, added -ve cambed to back wheels and it still scrubs with people in the back. ideally with this sorta set-up ul need to cut arches out and bond the plastic trims back on. thats wot im planning on gettin done soon
Kerry

17th Jan 04 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

vauxgirl had no arch work done
RobHayes

17th Jan 04 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

d'oh
Icy

17th Jan 04 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rhino had et38 17"s on his first corsa
he has to hack the rear arches to death
n stil rubbed

cud get them rims machined to et45
Kerry

17th Jan 04 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ask lisa wot she did to get hers on
RobHayes

17th Jan 04 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i didnt think it was safe to machine the rims that much, that would be taking about 7mm off, doesnt it weaken the bolt face or summat
Aussie GSi

18th Jan 04 at 02:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for all your help guys.

The wheels that I've been lookin' at DO actually come in ET45 (which is what I thought I was supposed to get), but all the salesmen kept telling me to go for ET38, as did all their fitment books.

But if anyones to know, it'll be you guys hey, cos you've actually fitted the wheels and experienced the problems. I'll just tell them that I want ET45. It'd be safer that way anyway, cos if I have any problems, I can use spacers to come down in offset.

Thanks again.

C

[Edited on 18-01-2004 by Aussie GSi]
luca2020

18th Jan 04 at 02:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yer mate were telling u ET45 is the way to go, there books are talking shite
Aussie GSi

18th Jan 04 at 03:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool. I'll post some pics when I get them on, so you all can see. I don't want to say what wheels they are, but I'll say that I'm almost certain that nobody has them on a Corsa yet.

Had them sat up against my car yesterday and I almost jizzed in my pants cos they looked so good!

Aus
luca2020

18th Jan 04 at 03:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol quality mate cant wait to see the pics

how much u gonna lower it?
Aussie GSi

18th Jan 04 at 03:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not too sure yet mate. I want to see how she sits on 17's, and then I'll decide. If I think it looks OK, I may not even worry about dropping her. I'll see how we go.

C

New Poll