corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Just to settle an argument (possibly)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Just to settle an argument (possibly)
PaulW

User status: Offline
2nd Dec 03 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok I had a few people now asking me about ET38 alloys (15's), and saying people are telling them they WON'T fit on a corsa at all, no matter what you do!

I've had a set of 15's (ET38) on my corsa now for nearly a year (3 door), with a 60mm drop on a set of coilovers with no problems at all with a few small modifications.

What I did to get them on without any scrubbage (even with 3 people in the back & a boot full of ICE), aswell as no problems up front, was to trim the metal on the front wings back by 10-12mm, roll them out a little, then de-bolt the plastic-arches & stick them on.

For the rear I just knocked-out the inner-arch a bit with a rubber mallet, de-bolted & stuck the plastic arches on. No problems!

Just make sure though if you do get 15's with an offset of ET38, don't get 50-profile tyres, as even with doing what I did above, they will still catch unlike 45 profiles!

I'm not sure about 5-doors though, but I know my 3-door has had no problems at all!
Greg_M

2nd Dec 03 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had 35ofset 15'son for a while and had no probs with my corsa B,

changed em now tho
jrsteeve

2nd Dec 03 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had some OZ Saturn wheels on my old corsa B in et38 and they were completely fine until i lowered it. Then they scrubbed on medium bumps and with people in the back.

I didn't touch the arches, and took the expensive route, fitting a Spax PSX adjustable suspension kit. This sorted it.

The fronts were ok it was just the rears. So cutting the arches back should sort it.
Kerry

2nd Dec 03 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

vauxgirl has et 38 with no arch work
Gavin
Premium Member

2nd Dec 03 at 19:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have et35 with 195/45/15....lowered 40mm

no scrubbing at all with full load

pew pew pew pewwwww
Kris TD

2nd Dec 03 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have et40 16's lowered 60mm and dont have a single prob, even with a full car.
Kris TD

2nd Dec 03 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

although i did glue the archs on, cut the metal up, use longer bumpstps, rubbed like buggery on et42 15's lowered 35mm this is a 5 door btw.
miles

2nd Dec 03 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why anyone would want et38 whether they physically fit or not is beside me. They will screw handling and wear out bearings. They will also look silly!
BeArDy

2nd Dec 03 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Vauxgirl off here she has 17's on a ET38 offset
and i know this FOR A FACT

jrsteeve

2nd Dec 03 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

posted on 02-12-2003 at 08:39 PM
Why anyone would want et38 whether they physically fit or not is beside me. They will screw handling and wear out bearings. They will also look silly!

the oz wheels had a maximum of et38 and i got em cheap, then sold em - thats why
BeArDy

2nd Dec 03 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wear out bearings

vauxgirl has have Et38 for ages AND a 2lt 16v and i only know of 1 going in the past few years
PaulW

2nd Dec 03 at 23:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by miles

Never had any problems with handling on mine, nor any problems with excessive tyre-wear or anything! If anything, the handling was a great improvement over standard & the twisties gave me no problems at all!

quote:
Originally posted by BeArDy
wear out bearings

Only replaced the off-side rear bearing within the last 12 months, rest are fine! And have done near 20k miles since fitting the alloys & lowering the car 60mm
miles

3rd Dec 03 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had 15" et42 voodoo's on my nova, then sold them and got vaux et49 16's, the handling improvement was very noticable, even with the bigger wheels. It just to tramline quite badly before, doesn't at all now.
M2RTY

3rd Dec 03 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i can tell the difference between et45 and et42 onb the front in my corsa

et35 is just silly, ditch them VW rims and get some vaux ones!

to be fair, vauxgirl has done some work like grinding the welds off the back of the drum?
M2RTY

3rd Dec 03 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

these are et45 with 3mm spacers on them = et42, 17" with coilovers wound very far down

with 2 people in the wheel sits way under the arch, ill get some pics of it later on

New Poll