corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Upgrading sound system from scratch- total newbie!!!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Upgrading sound system from scratch- total newbie!!!
shinobi

User status: Offline
   12th Jan 04 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all!!

I've just found out that you can replace the shitty Corsa C head unit for some decent ones. All I have at the moment is 2 Sony Xplod's 3-Way speakers on the parcel shelf wired in instead of the standard rear speakers. (Sorry I can't tell you more about the rear speakers but I can't find the box with the exact spec on )

I am looking for a head unit that will match in with the Chrome already in the car that will preferably play MP3's and will work with all 6 speakers already in the car.

Also I want a sub for the boot- not a massive one as I still want some boot space- and I guess I'm gonna need an amp with all that? And any hints on the best way to wire all this equipment in would be great!!! Like- where the amp wires into?

If anyone can help me I'd be chuffed! To be honest- I don't have a clue where to start I've just turned 18 and I want a kick ass sound system that aint gonna fill the boot

Cheers for any help,
Andy

[Edited on 12-01-2004 by shinobi]
Trucido

13th Jan 04 at 01:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you will need to buy a amp wiring kit as well (cheapest about £30 i think) this will have a power cable that will have to be connected to the battery...a remote which will need to be connected to the head unit...and phono leads that need to be connected to the head unit and a earth that goes to a earth on your car (eg. seat belt bolt)

as for the head unit...theres a Apline unit thats silver with blue buttons and it plays mp3's and its sweet for £270

or a another alpline one costs £350

but really depends how much your prepared to spend??
drunkenfool

13th Jan 04 at 02:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you give us an idea on how much you want to spend,and how good you want it to be, we might be able to help out a bit more! For a "kick ass sound system" ( ) I would recommend ditching the sonys, getting some decent components up front (your budget is the limit really) run off an amp, and a single sub in the boot if space is also needed. What type of music do you listen to, ahd realisticly how loud do you want it to be?
shinobi

13th Jan 04 at 07:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok cool- thanks for the help so far.

My budget is about £500 and I mainly listen to R&B/Hip Hop/Rap/and a bit of rock. Ideally I want a good neat all round system that be louder and of better sound quality than the current.

One question- is the sub drilled into the floor in the boot? How ever it's fitted how do you get access to the spare wheel- total newbie question probably lol

Thanks for any help!!!
Andy
andy hirst

13th Jan 04 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For around £500 you can get

Rockford sub and amp package (12") boxed - 199
Inifinity comps - 85
amp to run comps - 120
Maybe a different hu than the alpine for bout 150 - 170

All from caraudiodirect.co.uk

i know its a bit more than £500 but it will be worth it.
shinobi

13th Jan 04 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I couldn't find a rockford sub and amp package- only an Alpine one, will this do? And for the infinity comps and amp- what sort of amp?

Sorry to ask such dumb questions.

Andy
T5POL

13th Jan 04 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To get access to your spare wheel, you build a false floor with a circle cut out slightly bigger than your tyre using MDF & you hinge your sub box onto the false floor. When you need your spare wheel you just push your rear seats forward, push the hinged sub box forward and lift the circle cut out from the floor.

[Edited on 13-01-2004 by T5POL]
shinobi

13th Jan 04 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All I want is a sub and an amp, I already have 8 speakers in the car that will do for now.

Is there any way an amp can power 8 speakers. I currently have my parcel shelf speakers wired in instead of the standard ones. What amp would I need to connect up all 8 and a sub?

i will be going with the £270 Alpine head unit shown above.

Help appreciated!!!

Thanks.
Dom

13th Jan 04 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

...mate, trust us on here. Get some comps up front, get rid of your 6x9's 9in the back and get the rockford sub/amp package, problem solved It will sound better than the oe speakers and sony 6x9s you have in there Also, the oe speakers wouldnt be worth amping, since they will be about 15wRMS or something, so you would run them off the HU As for the 6x9s, ditch them eitherway, since they will sound crap when you get your sub/amp in the back - although there are ways to get the 6x9s sounding good (ie: build a box for them, amp them, crossover them) but it will be too much hassle
And the alpine is a good HU, i know alot of people on here will agree with me and they sound really good too Although nothing beats my pioneer 77MP
shinobi

13th Jan 04 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol ok point taken. Still can't find this rockford sub/amp package, has anyone got a link.

Thanks for the help all! You've all been a great help- I have half a clue what Im doing now heh heh.
T.CorsaSRI

15th Jan 04 at 23:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got the Alpine 9815 head unit a couple of weeks ago, and i rekcon its top dog!

Im just waiting for my Rockford subs to arrive now!
mike_southside

16th Jan 04 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

buy max power and look at all the sub and amp deals in there, thats ur best bet mate
M4tt

16th Jan 04 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

junk those crappy rear speakers, buy the decent HU like the one above, buy some moderatly expensive 17cm components, buy a sub and amp package, hey presto a decent starter system.

its better have less speakers, because the sound doesn't get so confused due to the varying distances the sound waves have to travel.... also ppl generally listen to music from in front, not behind... and bass is non directional so it doesn't matter where the sub is placed
M4tt

16th Jan 04 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by shinobi
All I want is a sub and an amp, I already have 8 speakers in the car that will do for now.

you don't want 8 speakers in your car, i have a set on comps and subs, thats loud and crisp
combatprojex

17th Jan 04 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by T.CorsaSRI
i got the Alpine 9815 head unit a couple of weeks ago, and i rekcon its top dog!

<b>do u use i-personalise??</b>
T.CorsaSRI

17th Jan 04 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by combatprojex
quote:
Originally posted by T.CorsaSRI

<b>do u use i-personalise??</b>

nope, dont know what it is. To be honest i aint even read the manual, and i dont know how to switch the Traffic Programs off :@

New Poll