corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Should i remove my cat. convertor?Please advise.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Should i remove my cat. convertor?Please advise.
Lazarus1

User status: Offline
29th Dec 03 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After talking to alot of my friends they advised me to remove my cat. convertor saying that after 50-60k on the clock on my car and the low quality unleaded fuel that we get down here,that it almost has lost it's function.They said that after removing it i should expect the car to "breathe" more freely and that it will be more nippyer.Now i can't aford to by some brand name pipes like Supersprint or Remus i just want to replace it with an ordenary exhaust pipe.I asked them what about that lambda sensor thingy that i don't understand really wich measures the flow of the gases and sends a message to the ecu?And they told me that they just dissconect them on hondas and other cars?Whats your profesional opinion guys?Your experience?Will i be able to use unleaded fuel if i remove it?what to do with the lambda sensor?Share your thoughts on this matter,Thanks.
Greg_M

29th Dec 03 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends what year your car was made in, if its a corsa then you will fail your emissons test as all corsas need a cat (i think). Some people remove them and put it back for MOT, which you will have to do.

It will improve performance, slightly, and will make your exhorst loader, minimally. But one down side is if the police pull you over and test for emmissions on the side of the road, they can deam it unfit to be driven and take it from you within 45mins on the spot.

My advice is if you want to risk it, then dont put it with a load exhorst cos this will draw attension to it. If you dont have a full stainless steal system already, dont bother.
corsafreak

29th Dec 03 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a few guys on the primera forum(last car was a primera) had removed the precat and cat from the exhaust and the cars would still pass the emission test. a friendly mot dude is always handy aswell when it comes to not having a cat .

btw i think most places only do a visible check to make sure the cat is present,so if the emission pass you could have a dummy cat build around your straight through section.

i think though they only gained a couple of bhp and more noise, also an ecotech valve was good for dropping the emissions aswell.
i know we are talking about corsa's but it may help abit.
Greg_M

29th Dec 03 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

every car that takes its mot that should have a cat fitted by law will do a full emissions test using computer equipment and they should rpovide you with a print out.

If your car doesnt need a cat but has one fitted then it will not have an emissions test, i think its upto H-reg (but dont quote me)

Although some places may no test properly for emmisions, and do you a good deal and you may get away with it. But i know for a fact some police forcess carry electronic emmisiions testers in the patrol cars as ive been pulled over by one before, and they told me that if i'd have failed they could have taken my car!
Lazarus1

29th Dec 03 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Greg it's a 1996 1.4 16v corsa and i will get the cat back on MOT time.And the police is nothing to worry about,they are not that thorow(spelling) here in macedonia.cheers for the comments.Any other thoughts?
Greg_M

29th Dec 03 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah do it it is easy enough to do. just take the cat off and replace with pipeing. will only increase buy a matter of a few horses, but if you want it, go fo it
MODDEDCORSAGSI

29th Dec 03 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive already removed the silencer on my 1.2 8v, will removin da cat make it ne louder!
corsafreak

29th Dec 03 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MODDEDCORSAGSI
ive already removed the silencer on my 1.2 8v, will removin da cat make it ne louder!

yes
Lazarus1

30th Dec 03 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could you tell me what a should do with the lambda sensor?Thanks.
CorsAsh

30th Dec 03 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lambda sensor isnt affected. Thats the bit that sticks outta the manifold, so takin the cat away wont matter...
Greasemonkey

Lambda sensor os on your manifold so wont be effected matey
Greasemonkey

ahhh beat me to it
CorsAsh

30th Dec 03 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think its safe to say he doesnt need to worry about the sensor then