corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Hi Fi warning

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Hi Fi warning
NeilRocks

User status: Offline
10th Dec 03 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A lot of people know of my problems with my car.
Now it's all sorted for....£380!

I needed a new ECU because - get this - my after market head unit was causing a surge on the ECU (I must have made a BIG mistake somewhere)

So how much to get a pro to fit my headunit / amp into my Corsa B?
Cheaper than £380?
vauxtillidie

10th Dec 03 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant think wot u did wrong there matey, my mate recently paid 40quid to have a head unit fitted at a local car audio shop so maybe about that
martin@BBG

10th Dec 03 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I paid 70 for fitting of a headunit, amp, sub and four speakers to replace the standard shaggers.
TOMAS

11th Dec 03 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WHO told you that your h.unit caused that? Thats the biggest load of bo11ox ive EVER heard! Now fitting an aftermarket h.unit could of caused the battery to run low and I know that ECU's dont really like low voltage but I dont think low voltage hurts them, not like high voltage (15V+) would. I think youve been scammed! Did you wire pos/neg the wrong way around on your h.unit? It would cost you about £50-£75 to get both h.unit and an amp/sub fitted but they are EASY so do it yourself!
NeilRocks

11th Dec 03 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Vauxhall told be that my headunit / immobiliser was causing high voltage surges to the ECU?? My headunit is connected directly to the battery (no ignition live) so that might be a problem.
Melville

11th Dec 03 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like the usual Vauxhall bolloks!! Slightyl diff subject but I rang them about my brake pads and the said that they couldnt chande the pads without changing the discs. When I asked why they said because the new pads would grip too hard on the old discs. Ripping bastards!!!
TOMAS

11th Dec 03 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats RUBBISH!!! They CANNOT produce power so NOWAY are they giving you too high a voltage!! ONLY your altenator could do that... youve been raped my friend, good and proper!
I'd phone all the other Vauxhall Dealers in your area and ask to speak to service. Ask them - "is their ANY way an aftermarket stereo and immobiliser can create a HIGH voltage that could damage an ECU"
Answer is NO unless you have possibly wired the positive/negative feeds for them wrong and shorted the pos wire but then still all it will do is burn the wire out, it shouldnt make the battery chuck its guts and give too high a voltage, thats one in a million

[Edited on 11-12-2003 by TOMAS]
NeilRocks

11th Dec 03 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My dads just told them to get the fcukin problem sorted. They have had my car for the best part of 6 days. Got to the point where I don't give a shite how much it's gonna cost just want it back working.

New cambelt / tire / ECU / MFD in 5 weeks.

Whats next

The bloke was sitting there yesterday with a new ECU and my car would not programme it Laught if that ain't the soloution.

[Edited on 11-12-2003 by NeilRocks]
NeilRocks

11th Dec 03 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Set up in my car.

Headunit powering 6x9's
Amp from battery but no fuse in connection just on the amp unit itself
Headunit connected directly to battery
Sub powered off amp
Amp grounded to back panel

MFD not connected at all. Wires cut and taped up.
Immobiliser / alarm work fine.
TOMAS

11th Dec 03 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup they raped you. Faulty ECU and they blamed it on you stereo/immob!! All that sounds wired up fine, if the stereo/immob was all working then they are wired up correctly. What was wrong with the car that made you take it in to get checked? Vauxhall ECU's are common not to like high voltages (15V+) but the ONLY way you could of had a voltage like that is if one of the diodes in the back of the altenator popped (this can happen whan you run LARGE stereo systems) but it hasent happened on mine in 3years and im running 3 BIG amps with a MASSIVE fuse rating. I'd speak to an auto electrician about your problem, not vauxhall muppets!
NeilRocks

11th Dec 03 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The problem I had was my car kept cutting out when coming to a stop or rolling it into neutral. Vauxhall read the fault code and it come up as the speedo sensor that was faulty. Replaced it - no difference.
Now they are fcuking with the wires. If a new ECU cures it then I don't care. I will pay the money cuz I HATE THE FCUKIN' BUS.

It's probably my ICV!
MattyB

11th Dec 03 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont ever take an even slightly modified car to a main dealer - they'll immediately try and blame the problem on that.

Even normal garages do it. Rediculous.

Matt
MattyB

11th Dec 03 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by NeilRocks
If a new ECU cures it then I don't care. I will pay the money cuz I HATE THE FCUKIN' BUS.

erm.....ok. i'd rather get the bus anyday, than give £100s of my hard earned cash to idiots, when they cant even fix it.

Matt
NeilRocks

11th Dec 03 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MattyB
quote:
Originally posted by NeilRocks
If a new ECU cures it then I don't care. I will pay the money cuz I HATE THE FCUKIN' BUS.

erm.....ok. i'd rather get the bus anyday, than give £100s of my hard earned cash to idiots, when they cant even fix it.

Matt

Touche!
Thing is the only bus that gets me to work arrives 55 minutes early.
I'm gonna start a fight if they don't find out the problem by this evening.
They will probably blame it on my chrome door handles.
TOMAS

11th Dec 03 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sod it though, 55mins early and how many hours do you work to earn the cash??? - LOTS. Just chill out and think clearly. People who are impatient end up chucking soo much money away. Could be the Throttle position sensor - possibly? You dont want a new ECU though from Vaux!!! You could pick one up second hand for not a lot and get it unlocked to run in your motor... Just see what they say and dont agree to any expensive work yet. Get other garage's/dealers oppinions.

New Poll