corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Gearbox question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Gearbox question
drunkenfool

User status: Offline
3rd Dec 03 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im pretty sure my gearbox is on the way out (over 120k mileage), and i need to do something about it obviously! I was wondering if the 6 speed box will work with the 1.4 8v SRi engine (c14se) or is it just for the c20xe? If so, what sort of price are the boxes and fitting, and if not, what sort of cost am i looking at for a standard one? Only reason for wanting to upgrade is a planned C20XE conversion, so i may as well do it now if its feasable. Cheers for advice, Matt
Kris TD

3rd Dec 03 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no its not compatable, its a big block gear box and the 1.4 8v is a small block. wat makes you say the box is on the way out, mine has done 144k and is fine, and my engine shoves a hell of a lot more torque through it than ures does.
drunkenfool

4th Dec 03 at 00:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i havent had a chance to look at it yet properly. last week or so gearchanges have been pretty rough, have to firce it in the right place. Driving today, 1st and 2nd gears were almost impossible to get into. It might be that the gearbox has come lose and shifted or something... Car is going to be in bodyshop 2moro, fri and sat, but booked into garage on monday so ill get them to have a look!
PaulW

4th Dec 03 at 00:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you checked the condition/levels of the gearbox oil? see if the garage will have a look when it goes in.

Linkage could be out a bit aswell??
drunkenfool

4th Dec 03 at 00:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it had the MOT just over a week ago, so im guessing they checked fluid levels then. the linkage has snapped twice since ive had it, although one was a temporary replacement from when the first one snapped. Its possible, ill get them to look!
PaulW

4th Dec 03 at 01:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont think they check gearbox oil levels as its a bit of a fiddly job to do (I know since I've had my corsa they've never checked it in any of the MOT's), so they will just check engine oil levels.

[Edited on 04-12-2003 by PaulW]
Cybermonkey

4th Dec 03 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

maybe its just the clutch cable that needs tightening?? F13 gearboxes are pretty tough things. Kris, the 20XE/LET are not big block engines. Its just the housing will not fit onto the engine.

New Poll