corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My gsi turbo. Massive long overdue picture update!!

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My gsi turbo. Massive long overdue picture update!!
dale87

User status: Offline
16th May 11 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 - 3 days i think mate. What you see is what you get, you need to take your standard corsa linkage apart and build it back up with these parts in place of the standard bits.

Also where the linkage attaches to the box needs shortening on the linkage by cutting and welding it back on, making sure its still at the right angle.

As soon as my autovaux order turns up (got 2 new cup bushes on order that go on the ball joints in the linkage) I'll fit mine and put pics up of what I mean as it's kind of hard to explain.
AlexW

16th May 11 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah its 40amp the std fuse for the 106 pump, I think mine runs a 20 or 30 amp fuse. Might be worth undoing the cap now and then for the first use, it can become under vacuum and its mega hard to get the cap off after lol

You wired up the LED's on those switches, I done similar in my nova.
Generation

16th May 11 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stranr question, but where did you get your swicthes for fault reading etc? they're nice and subtle and I've been looking for one
AlexW

16th May 11 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^ Ebay I think, Although I can get them via work with a red LED.

Give me a U2U if you want me to find out price.
danny90

16th May 11 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking good mate coming on now just loads of little things to do on it ayit

AW06 - the leds wont work as they are wired using the earth i think and canot use a live as it will just blow lol and we tried a load ov combinations to get the leds to work got them to work but when the switch is of the led is on swaped the wire around and then no light when turned on or of :S i aint got a clue lol

dale87

17th May 11 at 07:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AW06 - I'm using a 15 amp fuse to test it but got a feeling it will blow as soon as the pump is under load but the 106 relay is 40amp so I'm guessing it's a 40amp fuse standard.

I havn't wired up the led on the switch yet as I'd planned to buy some warning lights so I know they are switched on but tbh i'm not too fussed about it atm it's something to sort once the engine is in and running. I did get them to light up when the fan or pas pump is off but I'd like to find a way to get them to illuminate on or off but when the dash lights come on but I'll look into that in the future.

And thanks for the tip on the pas pump lol

Generation - The switches are on ebay with any coulour led, mine are amber to try and match the dash bulbs. £1.20 each I think. Rated to 16 amps.

cheers for comments people!

[Edited on 17-05-2011 by dale87]
AlexW

17th May 11 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To make it work with the dash lights you would just have to find a illumination wire, Cant remember if they are live or earth switched though.

15amp will deffo pop. The relay is rated to 40amps or it has a fuse aswell? I'd go with 30 as I'm sure thats what I have in mine.

Will be intersting to see how you find the PAS, I, after all the work I put into it etc ,Don't like it lol, Just don't have the right feel, Oh well.

Also, I'm sure there is a way to make the switch light up even with earth, I'll perhaps check it tomorrow at work.
dale87

22nd May 11 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quite a big update today.

My autovaux order came in the week so I could get onto fitting the gear linkage and sorting a few other things.

Parts.

New cup bushes, circlips and rubber gearstick bush.

Cut and welded the corsa gear linkage.

This is the rubber 'o' ring on the gearstick. Very easy to replace and removes loads of play in the stick.

I copper greased to metal joints on the linkage and rubber greased the cup bushes and nylon bushes, set it up with the drill bit method and it now perfect, I can now select all 7 gears spot on

Bought some some aeroquip oil pipe and moquip push on fitings for my oil cooler. I've used 1/2 bsp hose with 1/2 bsp 90 degree push on fittings. I used M16x1.5 to 1/2 bsp adapters at the sandwich plate end.

Adapters and fittings.

All fitted in its final position. Hose has been pushed on fittting more since pic.

Got 2 new washers on the turbo oil feed pipe.

New pollen filter

Passenger driveshaft fitted with 2 new cv joints.

With the engine nearly ready to fire up I thought it was about time I painted the rocker cover. I went for smoke grey in the end and left the spark plug cover original red because it's in great condition saying its 18 years old.

The rocker and timing belt covers were still in their first paint from the factory so one coat of nitromors got that off easy enough. Before nitromors.

After nitromors.

And the finished product and how the engine bay currently looks.

And one more thing.

When I bought the car it had a broken drivers seat subframe but the whole seat was worn right through the bolster so I'd been on the lookout for a mint drivers seat since getting the car in september.

After seeming impossible to find one last week I finally came across a full 48,000 mile gsi interior for the bargain price of £50! all because the bloke was stripping his gsi for track use so had no use for it!

The money shot. one MINT gsi drivers seat

Not far off now, thanks for looking.
Pridzz

23rd May 11 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Engine bay looks so clean and OEM, New header tanks make such a difference!
danny90

23rd May 11 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lookin so good now mate its so close loads of work done this weekend wasnt there covers am looking good aswell
Kieran
Premium Member

23rd May 11 at 20:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All this hard work has payed off I see. Fair play lad making me very jelous!
JWest

23rd May 11 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just read from the begining mate,your doing a very good job indeed keep up the good work itll soon pay off
thomson

24th May 11 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

great stuff dale. lucky so and so for geting an interior like that. not long now till its ready.
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

24th May 11 at 19:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its coming along great Dale! Keep it up

Where did you get the Inner CV's from?

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
fazza

24th May 11 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

most motor factors sell them mate

mk2 cavalier, 1.6 petrol. 22inner spline, 34 outer.

there also on ebay
dale87

24th May 11 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Darryl - exactly what fazza said. And your driveshafts will be with you tomorrow mate.

Thanks for comments everyone.

I've got new bearings and new lmf big block hubs which I'll be getting pressed in tomorrow hopefully. I've also got the lowering plates for the crossmember, the spacers for the lower arms and new GM lower ball joints.

If I can get the hubs sorted tomorrow I can fit all that, fit my brakes and then put it on the ground for the first time in about 7 months.
Darryl H
Premium Member

24th May 11 at 23:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Dale and Fazza Will see how much they are at the motor factors first!

dale87

26th May 11 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had some good progress on wednesday, danny90 on here even had the afternoon off to help lol cheers mate!!!

New lmf big block hubs and new bearings fitted and ap coilovers fitted.

Put the brakes on the hubs. Reyland 305mm 4 pots

Put the lower arms, the tie rods and new GM ball joints on with all necessary lowering plates/blocks. Painted red in good old hammerite lol.

Then put the wheels on. 15 inch compomotive MO's which I bought brand new 4 years ago and are still on the first set of toyo's.

Tracking was out a just a touch, that's with the steering wheel straight lol

Sorted that out good enough until I get the tracking done properly.

Nice snug fit over the brakes.

And then put the bumper. Fits perfect. Goes on and off as easy as any corsa bumper and keeps the coolers hidden which is what I really wanted. I'm dead chuffed with how it looks now.

Intercooler.

Oil cooler

And as it currently stands.

Not far away now
Darryl H
Premium Member

26th May 11 at 22:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one Dale, is it going to be at PVS?

[Edited on 26-05-2011 by Darryl H]

dale87

26th May 11 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers mate.

I honestly don't know about pvs yet. I'm going with danny90 in his silver sport but if this is finished I'll take it. I'd really like to it's just having the time/money to do it and my main priority is to not rush it.

Thing left to do are;
dump valve
actuator
roose turbo coolant pipe
gearbox oil
engine oil
coolant
bleed brakes
boost pipes
adjustable fuel pressure regulator
exhaust
underseal it
fit new driver seat
possibly higher suspension to get off my parents drive lol
mot
tax

think thats it

[Edited on 26-05-2011 by dale87]

[Edited on 26-05-2011 by dale87]
Darryl H
Premium Member

26th May 11 at 22:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not stupid amounts then just all mounts up Hope you manage it mate, will be good to see it in the flesh!

Linch

26th May 11 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You might already have, but make sure you use longer wheel bolts with that brake set up mate, had same set up before I converted to studs
dale87

26th May 11 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Darryl H - Tell me about it! need to sell some more parts from my xe lol

Linch - what size bolts would you say to use mate? I'm sure i've always used normal sized bolts and i've had the brakes 4-5 years could be wrong though
Mark.W

27th May 11 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Excellent work Dale
dale87

27th May 11 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Mark!

Some more goodies came today.

Got my boost pipes just need the straight alloy pipe to come now. I'm using 51mm from turbo to intercooler and 60mm from intercooler to tophat. All good except they sent me a 90 degree 51-60mm bend and I ordered 45 degree so will have to get onto them about that.

And a brand new collins twin piston dump valve.

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My gsi turbo. Massive long overdue picture update!! 24 database queries in 0.0194290 seconds