corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official F1 Season 2015 Thread

New Poll
  <<  35    36    37    38    39    40    41  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Official F1 Season 2015 Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

User status: Offline
6th Sep 15 at 21:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BBC saying Hamilton's pressures were read when the tyres had already cooled to 101degC, and Rosberg's at 84degC. Hence the big differences in lower pressures. Pirelli had only stated that the pressures would be read between 3 and 5 minutes before the start of the race, hence why Mercedes were let off because the tyres would have been at the correct pressures before the blankets were removed.

MX5 Project Thread
Ben G

6th Sep 15 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Silly things like that can cause upset throughout the pit lane, despite Mercedes being all above board.

It could've also caused problems for Lewis in turning his engine up to pull out that gap at the end. Strat 3 isn"t quite Strat 9, but it's putting more stress than necessary on the engine, which as we saw with Rosberg, aren't the most reliable when pushed to their limit.
Steve
Premium Member

7th Sep 15 at 05:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

David coulthard doesn't know what the Mercedes strat modes mean but Ben g does

[Edited on 07-09-2015 by Steve]
Kyle T
Premium Member

7th Sep 15 at 07:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah no idea what Strat3 actually is but as he was pushing for 25sec gap we can only assume it was a higher power mode.

Back in Bahrain14 during "strat-gate" they were referring to Strat6 as if it were a peak of performance, but strat7 was being discussed as a performance downgrade and Strat3 was referred to in the context of "let's go back to Strat3" as if it was some kind of default.

These strats could vary each race, but I don't think it's a linear scale of 1 = slow and 9 = fast.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Steve
Premium Member

7th Sep 15 at 08:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah merc wouldn't be so obvious as to just make the higher strat mode = higher performance and give it awa so blatantly to other teams.

Could be that strat 1-5 is engine performance and the rest other changes. Who knows
Ben G

7th Sep 15 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apologies armchair fan Steve.
Steve
Premium Member

7th Sep 15 at 09:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you stop spitting feathers and going wild in the aisle plz
Ben G

7th Sep 15 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not forgiveable mate. Seriously, David Coulthard? I only listen to the skysports F1 team.
Kyle T
Premium Member

7th Sep 15 at 09:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G

Some guy on the Z4 forum has even resorted to saying he doesn't like him because of his dress sense and because he may well be gay

This reminds me, on the Autosport forum there was a discussion which was basically trying to say that Vettel > Hamilton by comparing reference team-mates, along the lines of:

Seb beat Webber comfortably
Webber beat Nico
Nico took Lewis to the final race
Seb > Lewis

Then counter arguments came from the Lewis camp regarding Nico's performance vs Schumacher which should raise his stock.

I then heard the best counter counter argument ever:

43 year old Schumacher will be much better than a 43 year old Hamilton

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
whitter45

7th Sep 15 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

great result for Hamilton - fully deserved was easily the best driver with the best car

Not sure why he had to moan straight away on the radio though - he had just won the Italain GP FFS

Good win and even though I do not like him would have been harsh to remove that victory from him

Was a boring race and really showed how far ahead merc are. Even with Ferrari having a new engine, with what I understand to be mostly due to fuel mixture giving around 40BHP means they cannot run like that all weekend

If Hamilton had been pushed for more of the race (liked asked towards the end) the lead would have been greater

He even asked on the radio what he can do to protect the engine due to how far ahead he was and what pace he had in the bag
Kyle T
Premium Member

7th Sep 15 at 14:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
Not sure why he had to moan straight away on the radio though - he had just won the Italain GP FFS

You're driving around in a living prototype at ~160mph average speed and you're leading comfortably. 5 laps from the end you're told to push like crazy to make a bigger gap before the race ends, but are also told to not ask questions - just execute.

Obviously we all know the reasons now, but as a driver are you telling me at the time you wouldn't be absolutely shitting yourself for 5 laps? I'm not surprised he has a moan, I'd have gone mental

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Rick Draper

8th Sep 15 at 08:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wonder what Red Bull will do for engines next year. Autosport claim they are no longer sticking with Renault and the board at Mercedes have rejected the chance of a engine supply to them.
Dave

8th Sep 15 at 08:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ferrari.
tom130691
Premium Member

8th Sep 15 at 09:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Ferrari.

sky sports are expecting this also
Dave

8th Sep 15 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, it's not exactly a secret. Surprised by the question really, it was being talked about all weekend, I think ferrari have even said they would be willing to supply now too.
Rick Draper

8th Sep 15 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it will be interesting as that will mean Ferrari supplying potentially two more teams. It will be interesting to see what happens with Red Bull as iirc Horner had made comments about not wanting a non works engine.

Also I've seen McLaren have called for the head of Honda Motorsport to be removed. No surprise really.
Stu_22

9th Sep 15 at 09:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If Red Bull ditches Renault then I doubt weather they will remain in F1 and then that means Lotus are finished.
Leaves F1 with 2.5 engine suppliers(not sure we can call Honda an engine supplier just yet)
Rob_Quads

9th Sep 15 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A few times through the weekend I thought it was mentioned that at the next race that there is a high change that Renault are going to announce taking over Lotus so I think even if Redbull ditched them they will still be in F1

Its an interesting turn around. Basically they are stuck with Ferrari - It was only a few weeks ago that Horner was saying he didn't want a Ferrari engine as he knows he will never get as good an engine as what the Ferrari team are using
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th Sep 15 at 13:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Rob said, Renault seem serious about regaining a works team so a dropout seems unlikely.

Only thing worse than failing to produce a good engine is then quitting the sport because you can't turn it around.

On the Ferrari front, there's currently a regulation that each engine can only supply 4 teams? Currently there is Ferrari, Sauber and Manor so if RBR switch I guess Torro Rosso will have to go elsewhere otherwise that would be 5... they've had split providers before. That said, I think Manor are in talks with Mercedes?

Even if Merc board has ruled it out, don't rule out Bernies influence - he wants RBR to be competitive again as they represent twice the grid presence!!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

9th Sep 15 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bare in mind that Haas will also be using Ferrari engines.
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th Sep 15 at 14:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good call

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th Sep 15 at 16:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Despite Hondas laughable year I'm sure they're looking to offload an engine to somebody, Manor most likely I guess.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
djgritt
Premium Member

9th Sep 15 at 22:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely if RBR go for Ferrari, and want to bring STR into the same circle; Horner & Marchionne would have a little word with Bernie and a regulation change to allow Engine Manufacturers to supply 5x teams would conveniently come around...
Rick Draper

9th Sep 15 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
On the Ferrari front, there's currently a regulation that each engine can only supply 4 teams? Currently there is Ferrari, Sauber and Manor so if RBR switch I guess Torro Rosso will have to go elsewhere otherwise that would be 5... they've had split providers before. That said, I think Manor are in talks with Mercedes?

I believe to supply over 3 teams you have to seek authorisation. Merc did this year with the supply to Lotus iirc taking it up to 4 teams running its engine.
whitter45

10th Sep 15 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
Bare in mind that Haas will also be using Ferrari engines.

are they definitely confirmed to race though - heard stories they won't be ready

<<  35    36    37    38    39    40    41  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official F1 Season 2015 Thread 24 database queries in 0.0292718 seconds