corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official F1 Season 2015 Thread

New Poll
  <<  34    35    36    37    38    39    40  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Official F1 Season 2015 Thread
whitter45

User status: Offline
25th Aug 15 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

was just thinking the same of how lucky Massa was

Very sad news
Jambo

25th Aug 15 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

RIP Too many this year. Not good for Motorsport.

Saw something on FB about closed cockpits all starting up again. Not sure what I feel about it? Want the drivers to be safer, but also its open seater racing.... Perhaps there is some sort of compromise? Like a windscreen deflection thing?>
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Aug 15 at 14:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FIA did some "jet fighter" style canopies a few years ago, I think following the death of Surtees Jr.

Few issues surrounding driver egress always get banded around as counter arguments.

One of the critical findings in the FIA tests were that you may be saving the driver at the expense of wiping out some fans or marshals, as a bouncing wheel hitting a curved cockpit at 200mph is going to make for quite a launch! That said, I'm sure the same effect would occur if a bouncing wheel hit an LMP car or similar?

Full "roll cages" have also been looked into, but with visibility concerns and they won't stop Massa style incidents with bouncing small objects.

Really not sure what the right move would be, ultimately the F1 chassis of today is so tight and compact that anything is likely to impede visibility and/or driver egress (it's not like they can feasibly fit a side door...)

Canopies may even avoid fatalities such as Jules', but I'm sure it would create other scenarios in which previously walk always become fatalities.

Perhaps the answer is more work to avoid foreign objects bouncing around racetracks, we all know F1 wheel tethers rarely work in a big shunt for example, but how you would stop a crushed nosecone from bouncing across a track I don't really know.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Jambo

25th Aug 15 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T

Canopies may even avoid fatalities such as Jules', but I'm sure it would create other scenarios in which previously walk always become fatalities.

This was my concern also, you are just trading one scenario with plus/minus points for another, that may have saved a life in scenario X but in Scenario Y may cause fatalities. Its a very difficult subject IMO.

Super powered deflection lasers on the nose cone of each car
Steve
Premium Member

25th Aug 15 at 16:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im sure I read that a canopy would not have made any difference in Jules accident. It would have collapsed too.
Ben G

25th Aug 15 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, but in this case, aswell the the surtee's Jr accident, it probably would've saved their lives.

Advantages and disadvantages for everythijg I guess.

Drivers know the risks before they step into the car. They tell you that all the time. If there was a problem, they would no doubt come out and speak about it, like the tyre blowout issue.
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Aug 15 at 18:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Im sure I read that a canopy would not have made any difference in Jules accident. It would have collapsed too.

Quite possibly the case, he hit a pretty immovable object

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
nibnob21
Premium Member

25th Aug 15 at 18:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Definitely nothing a canopy could have done to save Bianchi. If the impact was enough to destroy the roll hoop, I doubt a canopy would have miraculously come out of that impact unscathed.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

25th Aug 15 at 20:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On another note...I was too busy enjoying my long weekend in Belgium to be able to put together anything as comprehensive as Kyle has with regards to photos etc., but here's a short summary:

The support races were absolutely immense. Rammed full of action and I wouldn't have left Spa disappointed if the F1 wasn't even on! Some of the crashes were pretty impressive - Daniël de Jong had a very heavy crash at Blanchimont when attempting an overtake on Pierre Gasly in GP2. He's ok but has had to have surgery on his back after fracturing a vertebrae.

Sebastian Loeb made an appearance in the Porsche Supercup which was an added bonus.

There was a big collective cheer and laughs when the Maldonator binned it in FP1. There was also a lot of support for Lewis, Kimi and Verstappen from all nationalities. I think everyone recognises Hamilton's undeniable pace, Kimi's not-giving-a-shit attitude and Verstappen's raw talent for someone who doesn't even have a driving license.

There was also a funny moment on the driver's parade when the classic car Bottas was in couldn't get up Eau Rouge and had to stop halfway up Just as a load of Marshalls ran down to give it a push it just about managed to get going again lol.

And I know everyone bangs on about it, but you really can't have an appreciation of the elevation changes on the track unless you see it for yourself. The angle of Eau Rouge is quite surprising; you're just met with a wall of tarmac. Plus other areas I thought were flat, like the Kemmel straight, are also inclined. Such an amazing track.

So here are just a few photos I have and a small compilation of video clips from across the weekend.

You can here in the FP2 section how rough the Maclaren sounds. To be fair to it though, it did look very balanced and composed in the corners - hard to tell how much of that is down to the two experienced drivers though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EUWaJmLtus&feature=youtu.be

Probably loads I've missed off. All I can say is that it was an awesome weekend and I think I'll try and follow GP2 and GP3 a bit closer. Already thinking about which one I'll go to next year!

MX5 Project Thread
Ben G

5th Sep 15 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New Mercedes engine looks rather dominant! Although by Nico has had to change his and has gone back to the Spa engine. Lewis ok for now
Ben G

5th Sep 15 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, Alonso's new bird
Ben G

5th Sep 15 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

7 poles in a row for Lewis

Nico

Kimi
Jambo

5th Sep 15 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jambo

5th Sep 15 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
Also, Alonso's new bird

Yes! This!!
Steve
Premium Member

6th Sep 15 at 13:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rosberg

What's this mystery about Lewis. .
nibnob21
Premium Member

6th Sep 15 at 13:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BBC reporting he's under investigation for starting tyre pressures.

MX5 Project Thread
Cole

6th Sep 15 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tyres 0.3psi under regs on 1 tyre rosberg 1.1psi under regs on 1 tyre
Cavey

6th Sep 15 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No further action to be taken
Cole

6th Sep 15 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

really considering mitch evans was removed from the results of gp2 for exactly the same thing
Steve
Premium Member

6th Sep 15 at 16:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This was because the blankets were unplugged leading to a cooler tyre when checked. They were at the correct temp when fitted to the car. Nothing to see here. All other examples are irrelevant.

[Edited on 06-09-2015 by Steve]
Ben G

6th Sep 15 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rosberg poor guy. Actually beginning to feel a bit sorry for him now.

Got worried about Lewis towards the end. Thankfully all good 53 points clear.
Ben G

6th Sep 15 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

P.s. What a bloody boring race. After this year of Lewis dominance, I wouldn't mind a mix up of the grid.

I like the idea of a reverse grid. Look how good it was to see Kimi fighting through.

[Edited on 06-09-2015 by Ben G]
Cavey

6th Sep 15 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Two shorter races like the touring cars, reverse the first races finishing positions
Kyle T
Premium Member

6th Sep 15 at 18:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fastest FP1
Fastest FP2
Fastest FP3
Fastest Q1
Fastest Q2
Fastest Q3
Lead every lap of the race
Fastest Lap
Race win

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

6th Sep 15 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yet he's supposedly not good enough

Some guy on the Z4 forum has even resorted to saying he doesn't like him because of his dress sense and because he may well be gay

<<  34    35    36    37    38    39    40  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official F1 Season 2015 Thread 24 database queries in 0.0231450 seconds