corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dewismotorsport's supercharged Astra coupe 2.2 race car build

New Poll
  <<  12    13    14    15    16  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author dewismotorsport's supercharged Astra coupe 2.2 race car build
dewismotorsport

User status: Offline
21st Dec 16 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Did you get the special coated stuff for the windscreen as it will get cloudy over time due to small scratches and scuffs etc

I'm keeping a glass front screen but the rest is just normal polycarbonate. The mayguard scratch resistant coating is good stuff but expensive, when these get bad I will just remove and replace, my front windows cost about £50-60 a pair delivered so if they last a couple of years I'll be happy at that, mayguard ones for the fronts are about £300 a pair
Steve
Premium Member

21st Dec 16 at 09:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh yeah i didnt look closely enough i thought the back window pic was the front

That ordinary polycarb will be fine for side windows etc

[Edited on 21-12-2016 by Steve]
dewismotorsport

27th Feb 17 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So todays mod was to chop up the inlet and convert it to air to air using a intercooler instead of a charge cooler.

I've never rated the charge cooler system and once on track it just wasn't effective at all.

So out came the grinder and got chopping, wasn't easy getting the lamnova holders out.

I was then left with this

Next up was to improve the flow
Before:

After:

First divider made with 2" tube

Then second air chamber made

All welded up just need to make the return pipe from the actuator. I purposefully left the tubes long as I wasn't sure on intercooler pipe runs but once fitted I could then remove 2" from their length. Inlet still retains the support bracket underneath.

Mocked up with intercooler and pipes cut to length

And then with the radiator in, all fits nicely and actually has more free space than standard.

Will finish it the rest tomorrow!
dewismotorsport

28th Feb 17 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Turned myself down some billet so I could make a actuator return

Used some rectangle box to make the extension, gave it a taper and then welded it on

Made up some O rings to act as the seal

All going well until I snapped a manifold bolt, after much swearing I drilled and helicoiled a new one in

And fitted, weighs a lot less than standard which is a bonus and also has more clearance.

chris_uk
Premium Member

1st Mar 17 at 13:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bloody hell..

Should of just fit water injection lol.

Be interested to see how it works!
dewismotorsport

1st Mar 17 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
Bloody hell..

Should of just fit water injection lol.

Be interested to see how it works!

that's plan b if the temps are still too high. Races are 40 minutes so would need a decent amount and if it had meth in I'd have to have it in a sealed box in case of roll over.

I have spoke to a guy in America who has done similar and he report good results so fingers crossed.
dewismotorsport

1st Mar 17 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Slowly working my way down the to do list, next up was to make a catch tank. Msa blue book states that anything over 2000cc must have a 3 litre catch tank so with space tight and wanting to keep as much weight over the gearbox side I measured up and made a start.............once body was welded I decided to check my maths was correct and filled it with water and it holds exactly 3 litres to the drop!!!!!

Welded the fittings and breather tubes on

Made up some braided lines and fitted, I'm running a gearbox, cylinder head and block breather

Also fitted the air filter, electrical and fire extingusher pulls in the scuttle, just got to fit a few grommets and that's that finished bar the battery wiring. Waiting on another clamp and then rad and intercooler can go on and be filled with coolant then a start up.
dewismotorsport

10th Mar 17 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been cracking on with it, made some front windows but then needed to hold the shape, so made some 3mm alloy window frames, these will be riveted to the polycarb. Windows are due to be bonded in on Tuesday.

Finished the intercooler pipework and gave the cooler a quick paint I re fitted it

Finished off the extingusher pull cords

Came to start the car and would crank, had fuel.and spark but wouldn't run. Turned out to be a cut immobiliser wire from the transponder to bulkhead connector which then goes to the ecu. After some greatly appreciated help from various users I got to the bottom of it and once re connected it started straight up

Took the car for a quick test drive, with no windows I decided safety first so donned some goggles lol

Diff definitely works

Car drove really well and pulled nicely due to the diet, the map seems to be fine if still a little rich and there are no noticeable side effects from the intercooler setup so really happy with that.

dewismotorsport

14th Mar 17 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finished the electrical cut off and external pull, also fitted the switch for the demister and mounted the traction control button

Fitted the front windows, had a bit of a mare trying to hold the curve in the middle, once shut it poked out slightly so had to just add a extra bit of polycarb in the centre and rivet it whilst I bent it. I will re visit this at a later date and worst case buy some pre curved ones at an extortionate price

Had the window guy back to bond the windscreen, rear sides and rear screen. Got them to prime a boarder on to hide the metalwork behind. Also fitted the sunstrip and race decals, still have a load to put on for the race series and my sponsors but don't have all of the stickers yet

Got the car to minimum race spec now but have 2 1/2 days left so will crack on with the rest of the mods I want to do.
djgritt
Premium Member

14th Mar 17 at 21:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome work on this recently!
dewismotorsport

15th Mar 17 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by djgritt
Awesome work on this recently!

Cheers
dewismotorsport

15th Mar 17 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So today I corner weighted the car, was always hoping for around 1050kg so this was pretty close to that, this is the weight without me in and car has about 6 litres of fuel in it.

Car has a good front to back ratio which should help the handling

And after lots of coilover adjustment I settle on this, almost 50/50 but I'm tight on time and knowing I will re do again after I get round to fitting a front splitter

Weight with me in it, I imagine race weight will be closer to 1185kg with the extra fuel

My last dyno was 243bhp but I have a slightly smaller charger pulley on now so I imagine power to be 250bhp, so that makes 215bhp per ton and 182whp per ton so I'm 18bhp inside my class B category of 200whp per ton
Simon_16v

16th Mar 17 at 08:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This may sound incredibly stupid, but I've seen before people adjusting coilovers to get corner balancing as close as possible. But how does adjusting coilovers adjust the weight distribution?
tom130691
Premium Member

16th Mar 17 at 09:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the lower you make a single corner vs the others the more weight it will have on it,

imagine having a flat rear tyre the car leans over on to it, putting more weight on the flat tyre and lift the opposite front tyre
SteveoBC
Premium Member

16th Mar 17 at 11:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

impressive metal fab work going on in here, starting to look like a right weapon
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

17th Mar 17 at 20:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When can I drive it?
Jed D

19th Mar 17 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mega, just mega!!
dewismotorsport

20th Mar 17 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers lads, no chance of driving it but happy to give passenger laps lol

Finished off the last few mods, replaced the old battery and gave the insides of the doors a quick squirt and modded the door pull wires to open the door with a pull on any part

Then made myself some spoiler uprights, I've copied the original btcc astra design which allows three adjustment settings

Test fit after drilling the boot

Made some spreader and strengthening plates, the spoiler is strong enough for me to do pull myself onto it with all my weight

Squirt of paint

And final fitting

So race day at Donington Park, few pics from the day, was a very wet qualifying which put me about middle of the pack which was good to say it was my first drive on the track and of the car and in the wet.

The track dried out a bit in the afternoon and had a dry line so put the drys back on

Race was going well climbing up a few places and having a good battle with the skyline r32 gtr (480bhp) realing him in on the braking and corner speed but he had the legs on the straight. Going into the sixth lap the car spat the oil cooler feed hose off mid corner chucking oil onto the tyres and causing me to spin into the gravel. Only damage to shell was a cracked wing mirror glass but the engine is toast.

Put it on the trailer and cracked open the beers to enjoy the rest of the weekend of racing and will deal with the engine this week. Next race is at Silverstone in 5 weeks.

Ad Blue B

21st Mar 17 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shame about the engine but the car looks awesome mate! keep it up!
dewismotorsport

21st Mar 17 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So put the oil hose back on today and filled her up with some oil and ran her up and no knocking so happy days. Will be making some better hoses up to prevent it happening again.

Removed all the gravel and gave it a wash

Few pics my friend took on the day, the coupe is just a timeless shape imo

Haimsey
Premium Member

25th Mar 17 at 08:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Loving this. Great work

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
CorsaSport1.416v

25th Mar 17 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is an awesome thread , awesome work gone in to the car , please keep the updates coming.
dewismotorsport

26th Mar 17 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers guys! A lot of hard work has gone into it but it's starting to pay off, few more mods to do before its next race at Silverstone but I'll keep it updated
SteveoBC
Premium Member

26th Mar 17 at 12:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No onboard vids?
dewismotorsport

26th Mar 17 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SteveoBC
No onboard vids?

My Internet is down at home so not had chance to upload anything to you tube yet

[Edited on 26-03-2017 by dewismotorsport]

<<  12    13    14    15    16  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dewismotorsport's supercharged Astra coupe 2.2 race car build 24 database queries in 0.1028180 seconds