corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Atlantis Blue 5 Door *Sold :(*

New Poll
  <<  9    10    11    12    13    14    15  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Atlantis Blue 5 Door *Sold :(*
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

User status: Offline
17th Jul 12 at 22:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They might be making an appearance soon... finally!

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
nibnob21
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 22:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Darryl H
They might be making an appearance soon... finally!

Good good

Mine won't be unfortunately. Got a friend back at home who works in a bodyshop though so I'll see if he can get me a good quote to have them done. Haven't really got any money at the moment though and I need to get some new top mounts and the tyres changing over as well as the tracking after lowering.

MX5 Project Thread
Darryl H
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 22:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I have some top mounts in the shed if you just need a replacement? Unless you're getting it all new?

Tracking's always a pain in the arse. Might as well get that done when the tyres are being done as well get it all set up at the same time

nibnob21
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 22:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I think I have some top mounts in the shed if you just need a replacement? Unless you're getting it all new?

Tracking's always a pain in the arse. Might as well get that done when the tyres are being done as well get it all set up at the same time

Yeah that's the plan with the wheels. There's a good cheap independent garage I've used several times before at home that I'll get to swap the tyres over, balance them up and do the tracking. He's done the tracking for me about 3 or 4 times in the past and only charged me a tenner once. Other times he did it for free lol.

And thanks but I'm going to get the whole assembly replaced. Top mounts and the bearing bits etc.

Basically parts 15 and 16 from picture 1 and 45, 46 and 47 from picture 2.

MX5 Project Thread
Darryl H
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 22:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough mate, atleast it should be sound after that is changed

nibnob21
Premium Member

20th Jul 12 at 18:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Popped to a scrappy yesterday on my way back to Devon and found this little gem in a mk3 astra sri estate that was looking very sorry for itself in the corner of the yard. Bit grubby and mouldy but it'll clean up nicely

Gave it the baby wipe treatment and it looks as good as new No damage, wear or marks on it at all. Very happy.

Got it fitted today.

Also got new top mounts and front strut bearings ordered today ready for when I fit the new suspension.

New wheels didn't come with centre caps but I'd bought some brand new ones for the previous set so thought it was worth checking if they can be swapped over. Perfect fit Only thing is they say ATP as opposed to Irmscher but Darryl may have some he can send me

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

20th Jul 12 at 19:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got some Irmy centre caps coming now thanks to Darryl

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

27th Jul 12 at 12:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got my Irmy centre caps in the post yesterday from Darryl.

Also got new top mounts and front strut bearings for when I fit my new suspension. Just waiting for some rear shocks to be delivered then the suspension and new wheels will all be going on.

Gave the car a quick wash. Bonnet looks like it needs another polish and wax already; it always seems to fade really really quickly. Don't know why?!

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

5th Aug 12 at 17:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car is filthy and still jacked up here but my yesterday I got the car lowered and new alloys fitted

Few more crappy phone pics.

Before it had settled it looked crap lol.

Looks much better now after a short drive

Seems lower in the flesh, pics make it look like standard height. Definitely looks higher though than when I used to have it lowered 40mm. May look into 60mm springs, I'll see how I feel in a week or two.

Anyone who's used Spax adjustables, just wondering how I'm meant to adjust the dampening on the front shocks?

The rears are simple, a big green knob that clicks. I can't work the fronts out though, they have no knob like the rears. Is it to do with this little bit on top of the shocks?

Previous owner seems to have mangled them slightly :S

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the front is way too stiff at the moment.

Cheers.

MX5 Project Thread
Darryl H
Premium Member

5th Aug 12 at 17:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The top nut thing is the adjuster

Looking good a little lower would be better IMO but i know you can't do that

nibnob21
Premium Member

5th Aug 12 at 18:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The top nut thing is the adjuster

Looking good a little lower would be better IMO but i know you can't do that

Cheers Darryl Are the adjusters meant to turn smoothly or do they need a bit of force to turn them to click round? I don't won't to break them :S

I would like it lower than it currently sits but it may settle more. I think it was lower before because I was using Nova 40mm springs, not Corsa 40mm springs. Think the Nova ones lower a Corsa closer to 50mm-60mm.

Like I said, I'll see how it is in a week or so and then I may look into some 60mm springs.

MX5 Project Thread
Darryl H
Premium Member

5th Aug 12 at 18:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah cool

My top ones move fairly easy but they are brand new

They might be hard to move if it's at it's hardest setting?

nibnob21
Premium Member

5th Aug 12 at 18:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well the rear ones are really easy to adjust as they have a sticker on them indicating which way to move them. What I don't want to do with the front shocks is to try forcing them the wrong way. They do seem very stiff at the moment but not sure whether to turn the knobs clockwise or anticlockwise.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

6th Aug 12 at 12:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Managed to adjust the fronts, any idea how long the shocks should take until the stiffness changes? They still seem stiff as hell still.

MX5 Project Thread
Darryl H
Premium Member

6th Aug 12 at 13:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine have a lot of adjustment but it's really noticeable each click

nibnob21
Premium Member

6th Aug 12 at 15:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Mine have a lot of adjustment but it's really noticeable each click

Oh are the fronts meant to click too like the rears? The little adjuster knobs just screwed smoothly a few turns each before stopping. Should I then force them and they'll click?

Just being a bit weary as I obviously don't want to force them and break them.

MX5 Project Thread
Darryl H
Premium Member

6th Aug 12 at 15:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I was getting confused with the backs for a second then but they definately go round and it is noticeable, I'll go out and check if mine click if you want me to?

nibnob21
Premium Member

6th Aug 12 at 15:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah if you wouldn't mind mate, would really appreciate it. Just seems the knobs were turning properly but the shock stiffness didn't seem to change at all.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

6th Aug 12 at 15:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At the moment I would say the ride is harsher than when I had Jamex shocks. The reason I got the Spax ones was to be able to adjust them so they are soft and comfortable.

MX5 Project Thread
Darryl H
Premium Member

6th Aug 12 at 16:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok I'll pop out in a sec

Should have bought Gaz Can make them feel like standard even as low as mine is Although I'm sure the front would be kissing the floor a few times that soft

nibnob21
Premium Member

6th Aug 12 at 16:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been tempted to get them to be honest. Saw a cheap set in the classifieds and I'm still thinking hard about it.

Could sell my setup and then it wouldn't actually cost that much more to get Gaz.

MX5 Project Thread
Darryl H
Premium Member

6th Aug 12 at 16:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do it

One of the best things I've probably bought for mine

nibnob21
Premium Member

6th Aug 12 at 16:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Do it

One of the best things I've probably bought for mine

We'll see

For now I just want to get these front Spax shocks sussed.

MX5 Project Thread
Darryl H
Premium Member

6th Aug 12 at 16:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't find my adjuster key thing to try but the internet says it clicks

nibnob21
Premium Member

6th Aug 12 at 16:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Can't find my adjuster key thing to try but the internet says it clicks

Ok cheers mate. I didn't get the key, I've just been using an 8mm socket.

MX5 Project Thread

<<  9    10    11    12    13    14    15  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Atlantis Blue 5 Door *Sold :(* 24 database queries in 0.0294261 seconds