corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » GearBox Upgrading

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author GearBox Upgrading
Siberia22

User status: Offline
24th Oct 03 at 08:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just looking for some advise on the following:

I have a 1994 corsa 1.2 8v with a 4 speed gearbox and i want to put a five speed out of a later model into it. Apart from the clutch and flywheel what else needs to be changed? does the gearstick assembly need to be changed?

i know alot of you would argue that the whole engine should be changed as it wouldnt pull a pair of socks off and belive me i would change it but you just dont understand how expensive insurance is in Ireland

Anyways as much help as you can give me would be appriciated espesically about the gearstick assembly.

Cheers
miles

24th Oct 03 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The gearstick assembly is the same, just need to reconnect and adjust the linkage.

The clutch and flywheel might be the same.
ainsley_brader

24th Oct 03 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gearstick if its like the novas is different as it has a plastic lug on the side to stop you moving across to the 5th gear position.

clutch and flywheel should be the same, as the bellhousing and input shafts are the same.
Cybermonkey

24th Oct 03 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

correct, all F10 4/5 speed gearboxes are identical whether they came from a nova or corsa. having a 5 speed F10 will be no different though, since the engine will not have the power to turn the wheels faster. In fact its just an overrun gear with top speed reached in 4th, regardless of the 5th gear.
Cybermonkey

24th Oct 03 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so TBH, just stick with F10 4speed, unless your worries are on motorway cruising
Siberia22

28th Oct 03 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats the problem its not for speed, just to stop the Pig overreving on the motorway and maybe to help a small bit with fuel consumption
Cybermonkey

28th Oct 03 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes if those are your intentions, a 5 speed F10 would be a better choice. At 70mph, it will be at significantly lower revs in 5th gear.
whitter45

28th Oct 03 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to how many revs. Whats the indiacted rev speed at 70mph in a 1.2 8v
Cybermonkey

28th Oct 03 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well its a WR gearbox, so at 70mph in 5th gear its probably at about 3-4k revs.
Siberia22

28th Oct 03 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theres no rev counter in it so hard to tell. what i can tell you is that anything over 60 is stressing the engine badly i was doing 70 last night and i though i was going to get a valve or a con rod in the head, not healthy at all.

I think the 4 speeds are ment for grannys to pick up there shopping with, not for long distance but hey its my first car

Just to clarify the gear stick assembly needs to be changed?
MattyB

28th Oct 03 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

70mph in 5th gear in a 1.2 8v = 3k revs exactly (on 14"s 185/60)

The above infomation is correct.......top speed is still achieved in 4th gear, even with the F10/5.

The f10/5 will go straight into ur corsa using the existing clutch set up. However, as already mentioned the gear stick will have to be changed (use the one from the doner car).

Motorway fuel consumption is pretty significantly felt with the f10/5, especially on longer runs. Very worth while conversion if u do alot of m-way miles. Box is only gonna set u back £25, if that!!

Optimum cruising speed in the 1.2 8v with f10/5 is about 56-60mph in 5th, which is about 2.5k revs. If u stick to this speed and dont labour the engine on hills, u'll easily get 50mpg. The c12nz 5 speed, has to be one of the most economical petrol engines that was every put into the corsa (due to the box mainly), even competing with diesels for mpg. However, consumption will fall drastically low if u start tryin to do long drives at 80mph, or cruise at like 50mph, and floor it up hills on the mway to achieve this.

If u really wanted to make sure u were gettin good mpg on the 1.2 8v, get urself a vacuum gauge. This way u can tell just wot sorta vacuum u have in the inlet chamber, indicating how much the throttle butterfly flap is open. In turn this will show how much fuel is goin in, givin u a good idea of fuel consumtion. The guages are only around £15, small, illuminated and take like literally 5mins to install on the 1.2 8v motors.

Matt
MattyB

28th Oct 03 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was gonna suggest a rev count to help u out, but seeing as u have a 1.2 8v 4 speed, u therefore have a Merit, which doesnt have the wiring ready to accept a set of SRi/GSi dials
Siberia22

28th Oct 03 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly right a 1.2 merit Gear box should be simple enough just dont want to have it out on the ground and then figure out i have to go back to the breakers for the gear stick

Thanks for the help lads
Gambit

28th Oct 03 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why do u need the gearstick?? apart from the fact it say 1,2,3,4,5,R on the Ball
Siberia22

28th Oct 03 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well the gear stickk assembly. I want to make sure it will travel to all 5 gears
Cybermonkey

28th Oct 03 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Siberia22
Theres no rev counter in it so hard to tell. what i can tell you is that anything over 60 is stressing the engine badly i was doing 70 last night and i though i was going to get a valve or a con rod in the head, not healthy at all.

I think the 4 speeds are ment for grannys to pick up there shopping with, not for long distance but hey its my first car

Just to clarify the gear stick assembly needs to be changed?

I wouldnt worry about that mate, if well looked after these engines are bombproof. I drove back from the new forest in my old corsa, 2 hour drive and i didnt go below 90, used a hell of a load of petrol, but it was happy as larry by the time i got home.

Dave
Cybermonkey

28th Oct 03 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

then the catalytic converter broke a week later
MattyB

28th Oct 03 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just as a rule of thumb with the 1.2 8v's..(only applies if running std air box)....

When ur really booting it, when u get so high up the rev range there is a whistling noise coming from the air box, ur near enuff approaching the Redline, so back off there.

Matt
Cybermonkey

28th Oct 03 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so thats what the whistling was
Siberia22

28th Oct 03 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh pushed it last night to c what it could to got up to 82 Mph id say there was prolly 5 more in her but i was about 150 mile away from home so didnt fancy walking if sumat went wrong

I dont know if ya can get it in the UK but i put that shell pura petrol in it. i think thats like a roast beef dinner to the engine cause there was a lovely *pur* from it and fairly responsive(for an 8v) id say it would sound nice with a big exhaust on it but as its my first car and my insurance is so high i'll leave the serious modding for a year or 2.

Gonna drill the airbox prolly make no difference but sure we will see anyways.
Cybermonkey

29th Oct 03 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds good siberia, but the engine wont blow up. I have driven those engines at 100 mph for 30 mins and it never failed me once. Just look after it and give it frequent oil changes. Also treating it to a nice set of plugs and HT leads will do the world of good.
Siberia22

29th Oct 03 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also another question is it easy to change the sump gasket on them? What do i need besides the gasket some oil and oil filter and the tools? do i need gasket sealant?

The rocker cover also needs to be done but im sure i can manage that

The water pump also needs to be changed (or so i was told when it was down the opel main dealers getting a timming belt done) i leave that to the garage as i wouldnt feel confident enough to start messing around with the timming belt

Dont think the car was serviced in years

New Poll