corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » rattling exhaust manifold shield thingy!!!!!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author rattling exhaust manifold shield thingy!!!!!
leon_in_uk

User status: Offline
22nd Sep 03 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a p reg sport and when starting up and in low revs, the shield has worn away from rusting and slides along the front of my exhaust system, by the engine!!

any1 else had this problem?
if so what did you have to do!!

cheers
broster
Premium Member

22nd Sep 03 at 16:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get a repair washer an put that under the bolt an do it up, prob solved.
leon_in_uk

22nd Sep 03 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its actually worn off tho, away from the metal
broster
Premium Member

22nd Sep 03 at 16:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah but a repair washer is about the size of a 10p so it shud catch on part of it an hold it in place, if that dont work get a new shield!
DangerousDave16v

22nd Sep 03 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not hard just to rip off the manifold shield,but it mite not be the end of your problems,cos i did it (mine is 99 sport) and ended up it was the cat ratlling/rasping.also theres some insulation under the shield which apparently brings the cat up to operating temp quicker.
u can be sure theryl be another annoying noise as soon as u fix that one,corsas are rattly little things
purple_B

22nd Sep 03 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tear that shield off and if your car is as low as mine used 2 b(on 15"'s) speed humps /girlfriend will car off cat cover,then theres nothing 2 rattle lol
rob_watti

22nd Sep 03 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jus rip it off, thats wot i do and im a mechanic!!
broster
Premium Member

22nd Sep 03 at 19:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sure thats a good idea? i mean its there for a reason surely! as dangerous dave said there is insulation under it to bring cat up to temp quicker!
broster
Premium Member

22nd Sep 03 at 19:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

didnt read post propa, if its just the manifold one then yeah take it off, it wont harm!
corb

22nd Sep 03 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mines bin doing this for quite a while now, kinda got used to it, but everyone else hears it and thinks 'shit!'
jparnell

22nd Sep 03 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had this problem a few weeks ago. I was going to rip it off, until i thought about using a jubilee clip. Push the heat shield up towards the engine, and tighten the clip, it should stay pretty solid then (mine has!)
Big Col

22nd Sep 03 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i ripped mine off after the jubilee clip / exhaust bracket fix only lasted about 2 weeks then it started rattlin' again
miles

23rd Sep 03 at 07:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lmao, on minute people are busting there gonads to put in cold air feeds and heat sheilds, then everyone is telling him to rip his exhaust manifold heatshield off! LMFAO
leon_in_uk

23rd Sep 03 at 08:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats a jubilee clip?????? i wacked a bolt in there bout a month ago unitl it was solid, now its rattling again!!!!! corsas these days
broster
Premium Member

23rd Sep 03 at 08:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be honest miles, can u see that heat shield savin the engine loadsa heat, the main reason it is there is so the air box can get hot air off it via the pipe, taking it off wont make the engine any hotter imo! a jubilee clip is a band of metal with a screw on the outside, u screw it up an the band gets smaller, an vice verse!
miles

23rd Sep 03 at 08:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The heat shield sits above the hottest part in the engine, it help to stop the heat from it going into the engine bay. It probably wont make much of a difference, about as much as a cold air feed.
leon_in_uk

23rd Sep 03 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers

New Poll