corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » performance chip for a 1.2 16v

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author performance chip for a 1.2 16v
MikeH

User status: Offline
15th Sep 03 at 01:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 bits of info here

1. the corsa B has 75bhp? I think this is true also.

2. the corsa 1.2 16v has a restritive inlet manifold like the bigger models?
chris_uk
Premium Member

15th Sep 03 at 09:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont this the Corsa B 1.2 has 75 bhp. coz i race one all the time and leave it. i think they only have 65 or summin like that.
J4MIE P

15th Sep 03 at 09:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
i dont this the Corsa B 1.2 has 75 bhp. coz i race one all the time and leave it. i think they only have 65 or summin like that.

On paper, they do only have 65bhp, coz I found the old corsa brochure the other day and it said so. I thinks its the same engine with diff ECU.
chris_uk
Premium Member

15th Sep 03 at 09:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

0-60 in 10.5,, erm comeone.
Paul_J

15th Sep 03 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

MikeH no idea - but dbilas do a product called Flowtec Inlet Mainfold for both Corsa B and Corsa C and they have proven it gives 25 bhp!

chris uk - is it a sxi or just a 1.2 16v?

the sxi has a different gear box to the 1.2 16v normal corsa b's...

I don't get left behind by corsa C 1.2 16vs

Paul J
chris_uk
Premium Member

15th Sep 03 at 12:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.2 16v
sxi boy

15th Sep 03 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my old sxi beat my m8s corsa C sxi

they are both 75bhp engines, but vx claimed the corsa b sxi to be 65bhp for insurance and tax purposes
Gambit

15th Sep 03 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in the corsa b, is it not early sxi's are 65bhp and the later ones are 75bhp?
Juha GSi

15th Sep 03 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when you look the at dbilas flowtec page you get the better picture. i think that all vaux do have bit or very restrictive inlet manifold.

http://www.dbilas.de/English/Saugrohre%20Opel.html

one reason is good overall power figures*nice curve*and fuel consumption and better drivability. but when you change it youll get better response on upper revs but loose bit from down and and engine consumes bit more fuel, and cos they are normal production cars that not what most of the people likes...

and thats main reasons why there is inlet manifold as it is, at least the way i see it... might be wrong though.
MikeH

15th Sep 03 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a shame the dbilas manifolds are so expensive...
MikeH

15th Sep 03 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also if you bought one from them would you have to post your ECU to them for an update?
Juha GSi

15th Sep 03 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah theyre bit expensive, but ->

All FLOWTEC-inlet manifolds are pre-mounted and ready to be installed.
The kit contains fitting instructions, inlet manifold and all necessary small parts.
After conversion, the electronic control unit must be reprogrammed.
The kit includes the reprogramming of the electronic control unit.
All prices include VAT (value added tax).

dont know how in england but the in finland one gets it in price whats in the website...
Juha GSi

15th Sep 03 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as i remember, it was so that if there is authorised retailer you dont have to send ECU to them. they will send the chip to you but,and you can change it by your self,but after that the TUV certificate isnt proper paper.

and thats why i chose mantzel cos in finland all tuning parts has to have proper TUV paper.

dont know how in england...(?)

[Edited on 15-09-2003 by Juha GSi]
R Lee

15th Sep 03 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sxi boy
is that with proper timing equipment or with ur stopwatch??

its jsut a stop watch timing...
i know it aint that accurate, but who cares... i drive a 1.2 it aint going to go fast, my times were just done by me for fun... nothing technical
dannycorsa c

15th Sep 03 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mate has a corsa B sxi xreg and my corsa c is just abit quicker and mine aint an sxi its a club
R Lee

15th Sep 03 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my corsa c sxi is just a wee bit faster than my bros corsa b sxi... not by much so i guess that bhp is the same... probably the very earliest corsa b sxi had a different ecu then they changed at some point post '97?
Daimo B

15th Sep 03 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
the dbilas inlet mainfold gives 25 bhp increase, thats 100 bhp for starts, + exhaust system and decat = 105/7 bhp (ish) your talking GSI performance...

Then cams, chip etc and you may be looking over 112/5 (ish) bhp...

anotherwords your 1.2 will now be beating GSI's, beating VTRs, etc...

Manztel have made a prototype Supercharger for the 1.2 16v - which they said will take it to around 115 (ish) bhp.

and I think they want to shift it cheap because of lack of demand!

Best quote i've heard in ages. It WONT beat a GSi, or Saxo. How much torque do u think a 1.2 engine can produce? It wont beat GSi's, and i'd say that 25bhp is a little over optimistic, esp when the bigger engines are only getting between 10-20bhp even when setup.

Mantzel producted the SC a few years ago now. ITs not cos they cant sell them, becuase they dont and never have done. They had problems with teh EU emisions tests and it kept failing. They continued work on it and then thats the last i heard of it about 2+ years ago.

I mean, i know most of u owners have 1.2s, but stick to bodykits and zorst n filter. Unless u spend BIG £££, ur never ever ever gonna make it go fast.

Hence why i never bothered modding my 1.4 16v, the engine just donst produce enuff power/torque. A 1.2 small block car is certainly going to be worse!!
Daimo B

15th Sep 03 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
0-60 in 10.5,, erm comeone.

1.4 16v, not 1.2 16v. 1.2 16v does it in around 12+ seconds.

And before everyone starts moaning that i drive a 2.0 16v, yes i do. But then i also driver EVERY day a 1.2 16v Corsa C SXi (Donnas) so i know exactly how they perform. ANd i've been into my corsas for long enuff as to know how a Corsa B 1.2 goes as well.

Corsa C is the heavier car, but as said, has aroubnd 10bhp more.

Dont take it all the wrong way boys n girls, the 1.2 16v can be tuned to get into triple figure bhp numbers, but the torque will never be near that hence why the 1.2 will never be a good engine to tune.

That is unless u can find someone to make a supercharger.

I do remember a discussion about 3+ years agothough about a 1.2 16v that had had a turob conversion, a lower compression etc.

Was good enuff to nearly keep up with a standard 2.0litre corsa up to about 80. Still, your gonna be spending £3-4-5k + to achieve these figures, and theres no point when a 2.0 16v can be done for £1000-£1500!!
The Guru

18th Sep 03 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 1.2 16v sxi used to keep with 1.4 16v Corsa sports uptil 100.. and there are a good few sport drivers around my home town that can vouch for mine.

But everyone is right, its pointless spendin £ks on it, thats why I got a 2.0l.. but I still say that the Corsa b SXI can still be a good wee car for what it is. After all it'll still be a 1.2 16v puddle jumper
Paul_J

18th Sep 03 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well said Daimo B - needed someone who knew what they were talking about to reply. I did think it all sounded a bit crap and thought something was missing (the torque side of things)...

the figures like 25 bhp for inlet mainfold is just what I got off the dbilas site - supposedly proven figures and yes it does also list the 1.4's etc that it only says is like 20bhp... weird...

the guy basically said 'what can I do to my car' so just said what he could do at no point was I saying 'Go for it'

I think most people want to mod there 1.2 16v's for performance for the fact they don't feel guilty modding a 1.2 16v and still paying for insurance on a 1.2 16v with no mods declared!

where as if they chucked a 2.0 in they would have to get it insured! the fact is though if they heavily modded their 1.2 16v and crashed without declaring engine mods they'd probably get screwed.

Paul J
luca2020

18th Sep 03 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just read this post, quite funny

was gonna say about the 1.2 having no balls in the tourqe department if tuned to 110bhp, but damio summed it up a treat
valverguy

2nd Jan 07 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive had a 1.2 8v corsa B keep up with 14. sri's and sports... its not hard... its called knowing how to drive and how to improve throttle responce etc.. No corsa unless it is a highly tuned gsi or c20xe/let is going to be fast.. lests face it they're all slow. We have corsa's because we like the way they look.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll