corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Why exactly does an exhaust need back pressure?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Why exactly does an exhaust need back pressure?
MikeH

User status: Offline
16th Sep 03 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just always wondered.
AdamF
Premium Member

16th Sep 03 at 20:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont no exactly but i do no it overfuels without it
Adam_B

16th Sep 03 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if u have no back pressure u will get more bhp at higher revs but fuck all power down at the bottom. i think
OzzySRi

17th Sep 03 at 08:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its all got to do with the combustion chamber. If ur familiar with the 4stroke cycle (1.suck/intake, 2.squeeze/compression, 3.bang/ignition, 4.blow/exhaust) u'll get what i mean.

As the motor goes from the exhaust cycle back to the intake cycle (the top of the piston stroke) there is a thing called 'overlap' caused by the fundamental design of the camshaft.

During this period of 'overlap' the exhaust valves are about to close the intake valves are beginning to open (both intake/exhaust are partially open). Without any backpressure in the exhaust system, the new air/fuel mix will simply pass thru the motor during the overlap... meaning less air/fuel mix in the combustion chamber for the next cycle.

So having backpressure helps keep more of the flamable stuff in so u get a bigger bang.. more power.

Well, thats the technical BS behind it

[Edited on 17-09-2003 by OzzySRi]

[Edited on 17-09-2003 by OzzySRi]
Daimo B

17th Sep 03 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above.

Also, different size exhaust bores can determin the overall power of the car. I can't remember which way round it it, but its something like, the smaller the exhaust bore, the better lower end torque/performance the car will have, the larger the bore, the more top end performance the car will have.

Also, a turbo'd car works differently. You want to get the exhaust gases away fromt eh turbo as quickly as possible hence most turbo bores are usually bigger.
OzzySRi

17th Sep 03 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah theres alot of crap involved with exhausts. Turbos can go large (3") and not be excessively loud coz the turbo itself acts as a muffler.

But there is also considerations about gas velocity. Hot air moves quicker than cold air. By going overly large on an N/A car results in the exhaust gases cooling early in the system. Having the right sized pipe keeps things hot n moving quickly aiding combustion chamber scavenging. U'll also notice that alot of systems purposly put a slight restriction after the cat to create a heat build up which makes the cat work better
Kris TD

17th Sep 03 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah cos back pressure on a turbo slows the turbo down.
MikeH

17th Sep 03 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wish i had a turbo.... i think they are just fundamentally better in all respects
Kris TD

17th Sep 03 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MikeH
Wish i had a turbo.... i think they are just fundamentally better in all respects

yep
Daimo B

17th Sep 03 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is true, but, how i think.

Ptissshhhhhh turbo and DV

or
BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHBBAAA BRRAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH pop pop or Throttle Bodies.

Unltimatly though, the turbo should always have the outright best performance

New Poll