corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Sub and 6x9's together causing distortion...help!!!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Sub and 6x9's together causing distortion...help!!!
Geeza10328

User status: Offline
24th Jun 03 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm running 2 vibe SA69 speakers on my parcel shelf powered by a kenwood 848 amp. Both speakers are gettin about 150rms each. I;ve then got a vibe active sub 10" in the boot too. This I think pushes out 150-200rms not sure.

Anyway I have the 6x9's crossovers set to high pass so basically they produce the mid range and the sub produces the bass however the 6x9s still kick out shit loadsa bass. If I turn the sub off and just have the 6x9s going it sounds just as loud and as bassy as when I have both the 6x9s and the sub on. But the sound quality is excellent without the sub and just the 6x9s.

I'm pretty sure theres not enough power goin to the two amps since the speakers do peak and cut out then start again if I really have it up loud so I'm thinkin bout gettin a cap. But this still I doubt would solve the problem of the distortion wen both sub and 6x9's are running.

Has anyone got any ideas what to do? My headunit isn't a great one, its an old sony cdplayer one not sure of the model so this could be having an effect.

thanx

matt
CopyWrite

24th Jun 03 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh dear....you're not gonna like what I have to say because I know ur 6x9's cost 80-90 pounds...as i have exactly the same ones, and the only reason i got these was when my subs got pinched and I couldnt be arsed to fork out for new subs untill i had an alarm which where I loose the 6x9's when I get new subs.
basically what I'm sayin is 6x9's and a sub using the same enclosed air is abit like synchorised swimmers swimming in a choppy ocean (think of ur 6x9's as the swimmers n the sub as the sea)
all the bass produced by the sub is pushing the same air the 6x9's r tryna push which is why when it's up loud everything sounds pants.
This also explains why when u have ur 6x9's on their own they sound awsome.
Alot of ppl here would agree 6x9's are a waste of time when u have a sub.
Best option is to box off the air the 6x9's are using so they have their own seperate cab to push with.
(or ditch them)

[Edited on 24-06-2003 by CopyWrite]
Kris TD

24th Jun 03 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

unplug the 6x9's and listen, it will sound much better.
TOMAS

24th Jun 03 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Raise the crossover on the 6 x 9's to 110-130 Hz highpass and run youre sub at 90-100 Hz lowpass. This should pretty much split the two but if you still having problems switch the phasing of the sub to 180degrees if thats possible and have a listen.
To be honest a 10" active 100-200wrms sub is not going to really effect youre 6x9's too much, maybe a pair of 12" but no way a single 10"! I recon that you have gains and crossovers set wrong and possibly a phasing issue? If you can describe the distortion, is it like cracking from an amp clipping or does it just sound wrong i.e sound cancellation?
CopyWrite

24th Jun 03 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

r the 6x9's runnin off an amp?
if so run them in series instead of stereo.
TOMAS

25th Jun 03 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^
Richie

25th Jun 03 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Run them in series instead of stereo? surely u mean parallel? lol

But doing that would raise the total load to 8 ohms, which i dont think the amp would like.
CopyWrite

25th Jun 03 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no i mean series not parallel
parallel is with all the terminals of each speaker goin onto one channel.
series is wiring it so instead of both terminals from the speakers goin to a channel one goes to the other terminal on the speaker.
I was told to do this anyway so the 6x9's ar ein mono.
Richie

25th Jun 03 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol whoever told u dat is a numpty, putting them in mono aint gonna help it all.

i meant surely u meant parallel instead of saying stereo

series + parallel stereo + mono
CopyWrite

25th Jun 03 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dunno i read it in some magazine mate..i thought they wudda been right.
TOMAS

26th Jun 03 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car Mod mags are rubbish, i mean they do say a fair amount of correct shite but they talk about settings and techniques as though they are gospel law - i.e you MUST run your subs at 80Hz lowpass etc... Bollox!
How to screw a system in one fell swoop - run your mids in mono... YAK! Their are people out their spending thousands on developing new Dolby surrounding and youre on about running MONO! Move out the dark ages, why have a 'stereo', get a grammar phone install - PHAT Sorry mate dont mean to have a real dig at you...

New Poll