corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Windows 10 licencing question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Windows 10 licencing question
oceansoul

User status: Offline
8th Sep 15 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quick question (which I am trying to Google too),

I have a laptop running a not so legit copy of win8. My understanding is that I cannot auto update to win10? I know I couldn't do the auto update to win8.1. This laptop however, has a legit (was bought from PC World years ago) win7 COA licence sticker on the bottom, that's still readable.

Can I DL the win10 fresh install package, reformat and install then use my win7 licence to activate it?
Bart

8th Sep 15 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by oceansoul
Can I DL the win10 fresh install package, reformat and install then use my win7 licence to activate it?

Nope.
But if you install a clean copy of Win7 with the legit key you have, you'll be entitled to the free upgrade.
Best way to go without a shadow of a doubt.

Once the upgrade is completed, your motherboard hardware info will be stored on the MS servers for free installations of windows 10 on that same machine, i.e no need to enter a serial key again on the same PC.
oceansoul

8th Sep 15 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one, cheers.
Cavey

8th Sep 15 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbf, my not so legit copy.of win7 (I think) upgraded without a fuss :/
Rob_Quads

9th Sep 15 at 07:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When you say a not so legit copy? Have you just used a random key etc?
If so then you will be able to upgrade - Will it be 100% legit, no but it will be a lot less hassle then having to reinstall the PC and you will never get picked up for it.

If you want to follow the 100% legit route then follow Barts process.
DaveyLC

9th Sep 15 at 07:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its an activated copy of windows 7/8/8.1 then windows 10 will work and that machine will then have an activation stored for if you want to re-install it.
Cavey

9th Sep 15 at 08:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My copy was from demonoid or something, so not sure how it worked tbh
Richie

9th Sep 15 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most Windows 7 hacked installations were activated using the SLIC injection trick method which Microsoft were never able to circumvent. Basically an action happens before boot that tells the OS that your machine was licensed out of the factory to use whatever version of Windows 7, and used the corresponding SLP key for whatever vendor it was spoofing.

It was dropped in Windows 8.1 so SLIC injection was no longer a thing. It means Microsoft kind of shot themselves in the foot though... because you can build any new machine with a copy of Windows 7 - use Daz loader from the mydigitallife forums to activate it - then use the Windows 10 tool to get a free copy of Win10 for that box - and just rebuild
oceansoul

9th Sep 15 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm just imaging it now before installing win 7. Tbh I haven't tried the win 10 updater. I did have the win 8.1 updater though and that said i wasn't eligible for 8.1 but failed to give a reason. Will try win 10 when this image is completed. I'm running win8 BTW. Licenced with a hacked WGA tool I believe.

New Poll