corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Android tick things for TVs

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Android tick things for TVs
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

User status: Offline
27th Jul 15 at 14:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want to display a webpage on a TV at work, I'm trying to avoid connecting it up by a long VGA cable and thought perhaps this would be a good application for a Intel NUC or one of them android TV stick things? what are the current options out there? a Intel NUC does seem very overkill for just displaying a page.

DaveyLC

27th Jul 15 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Banggood does the Android sticks for about £30 and a full windows 7 PC stick for about £70..

Or you can use a Google ChromeCast and cast a tab from a chrome browser but that does mean having a PC running.
pow
Premium Member

27th Jul 15 at 18:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would a chromecast running www.greenscreen.io do the job?
Nismo

27th Jul 15 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its a cabling issue, CAT5 to VGA convertor?

1080P Asus Nettop for £83?

http://www.ebuyer.com/718137-asus-eeebox-eb1033-mini-desktop-pc-eb1033-b013e
willay
Premium Member

28th Jul 15 at 06:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

greenscreen looks good but unsure how mature the project is?

nismo - cabling aint an issue, in fact I dont think there be any cat5 there but we do have a nice shiney new ruckus wireless network.
Bart

28th Jul 15 at 07:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Intel Compute USB stick: http://www.nigelohara.com/intel-compute-stick-win81-hdmi-boxstck1a32wfcr-pid180606.html?gclid=CPq4s8mh_cYCFfHJtAodEIoMDw

Windows 8.1 although that might be upgradable to 10?
Not bad for £100
Richie

28th Jul 15 at 09:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
greenscreen looks good but unsure how mature the project is?

nismo - cabling aint an issue, in fact I dont think there be any cat5 there but we do have a nice shiney new ruckus wireless network.

Been going since Mid 2014 and is pretty robust and a good support network on github.

As long as whatever you want to display can display within an iframe you are good to go. Taking the piss with takeovers is hilarious
pow
Premium Member

28th Jul 15 at 10:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Richie - have you deployed it? Can you lend me a hand with how you set it up - ie the server side setup - what flavour of linux (I use ubuntu server 14.04 UTS for the 3 linux servers I have here), what to install?

[Edited on 28-07-2015 by pow]
DaveyLC

28th Jul 15 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Richie - have you deployed it? Can you lend me a hand with how you set it up - ie the server side setup - what flavour of linux (I use ubuntu server 14.04 UTS for the 3 linux servers I have here), what to install?

Why go through all that Agro? Why not just cast a tab from Chrome?
pow
Premium Member

28th Jul 15 at 10:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because this is a set and forget solution for lots of screens. Bodge it Dave
Dom

28th Jul 15 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

RPi and Chromium; only downside is the lack of GPU acceleration but unless the webpage is filled with JS animations/videos/gifs then it should be fine.

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
Intel Compute USB stick..

This isn't a bad shout tbh; the linux variant is around £70/80.

[Edited on 28-07-2015 by Dom]
willay
Premium Member

28th Jul 15 at 18:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:
Originally posted by pow

Why go through all that Agro? Why not just cast a tab from Chrome?

I guess I could use a VM to cast the tabs, however this has a nice interface that we could give to certain staff if we wanted to use the broadcast feature
Richie

28th Jul 15 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow

I haven't deployed it personally but our Unix/Linux chaps have it running for tickers and alerts for the service desks. Will ask them for guidance on it

If I remember correctly from talking about it you need to be careful with giving people details to it because there's no authentication mechanism leaving it open to abuse. At work it's on a private SSID on an isolated network bridged to a lab environment that runs the VM's. But they demonstrated how they can take control over all of them in case of a fire alarm or major incident ect - but they used various animated GIF's to take the piss
pow
Premium Member

29th Jul 15 at 09:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd run it on it's own ringfenced VLAN with a hidden SSID here, any guidance on what to use would be greatly received!

[Edited on 29-07-2015 by pow]
Rob_Quads

29th Jul 15 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In terms of setup if you already have linux boxes you could put Docker on one and then just start up a container with greenscreen such as https://github.com/tomologic/docker-greenscreen
willay
Premium Member

31st Jul 15 at 09:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the link Rob! As much as I like greenscreen there is a push here to use some Pi's, we got one of each (pi and chromecast) so might have to see which one will be better...

New Poll