corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 2002 Corsa C 1.0L ECU Upgrade help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 2002 Corsa C 1.0L ECU Upgrade help
Cake-Eater

User status: Offline
8th May 15 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've searched this but haven't found anything on it, so hopefully I'm not wasting any thread space here.

I have recently put a stainless steel exhaust on my 1 Litre Corsa C. The company that hand built it has recently called me to offer a deal on an ECU upgrade for around £200. It's a custom unit, so I can choose what I want done.

My car has peak power and torque at around 3500RPM-4000RPM if I remember correctly. I would prefer it to be closer to the 2000-2500RPM mark, as that's where I spend most of my time. The company tells me this (whilst also making MPG better) is entirely possible with a ECU remap, and I believe them.

Whilst it's probably not worth the money, I would like to do it anyway, but I'm curious as to whether there's any downsides. I've read that some remaps (mainly the peak power upgrades) wear out engine components quite quickly, and this is not something I want to risk.

TL;DR Essentially, what I'm asking is, do you think a remap that shifted my peak power to lower in the rev range would have any negative effect on the reliability of the car?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Dee25790

8th May 15 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I couldn't say from an educated pint of view but if it was me I would be dubious about it too. I've heard you can get a fair bit of power out of a 1l if you've got very very deep pockets haha
Cake-Eater

8th May 15 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Frankly I'm not looking for *more* power - just to shift what little power it has lower. I never rev very high but it's so gutless at low revs. Shifting the power/torque lower would suit me to a T. I just don't want to compromise any reliability - I love that little car!
Dee25790

9th May 15 at 03:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know I was just saying you can apparently get 300bhp with the right mods. I revved the arse out of my 1L B and it never did any harm.
That's what 3 pots are for you rev it till the valves are about to pop out onto the bonnet then change gear.

the engine has been designed to have peak power at those rpm so revving it that high won't damage it and certainly won't reduce reliability. If you move the power lower down the stresses are then on the engine in a different place to where they were designed to be. I can't see it suddenly making the engine go bang but any mods of any form that stray from manufacturers spec will reduce reliability in some form.

Tbh I wouldn't waste the £200
Cake-Eater

9th May 15 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough - thanks for the advice.

New Poll