corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Wheel bearings for front hubs (c20xe conversion)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wheel bearings for front hubs (c20xe conversion)
seanmooney

User status: Offline
2nd Feb 15 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So bought a redtop conversion and it came with equal shafts and the hubs but I was taking the car off the trailer on sat past for painting and of course the bearing shit itself cause I had no shafts in to help support it..

I had some other hubs that came with the car but the splines in the hubs are different..

Anyone know what bearings I need to get for hubs? Astra bearings? Corsa bearings?

Thanks

Sean
davegreen
Premium Member

3rd Feb 15 at 06:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends on which hubs you have?
if the hub has been machined down then corsa bearings.
if the carrier has been machined out then vag bearings.
seanmooney

3rd Feb 15 at 07:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I haven't a clue If they have been machined down..

What should the dimensions be of the hub or carrier if they have been machined?

The bearing has a red seal each side if that means anything? Not sure if different bearing have different colour of seals or just could be a manufacturer thing..

random dav
Premium Member

3rd Feb 15 at 14:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the carrier has been machined the bearing hole will be 68mm to take vw bearings. If its smaller than 68m it has corsa bearings and machined hubs

WRLFC !

Project cars
seanmooney

3rd Feb 15 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got the bearing pressed out and the old bearing is 64mm diameter outer 34mm diameter inner and 37mm wide.

I went to a local motor factors and it looks like a corsa b bearing only a new bearing is 66mm outer diameter, would the 2mm matter?

[Edited on 03-02-2015 by seanmooney]
random dav
Premium Member

4th Feb 15 at 05:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

66mm seems too big, pretty sure they are 64mm. I'd go back and check others at the shop.

[Edited on 04-02-2015 by random dav]

WRLFC !

Project cars
seanmooney

23rd Feb 15 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got a 64mm bearing and got it pressed into the knuckle but when I pressed in the hub flange it was still loose.. Turned out that the outside part of the hub flange was wore down.
So I'm going to get the hubs machined down but what I need to know is what are the hub flanges from?
random dav
Premium Member

24th Feb 15 at 11:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Which bits? Pic

WRLFC !

Project cars
random dav
Premium Member

24th Feb 15 at 11:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its possible the hubs are worn and you may need to replace them.

If the corsa bearing fits in the knuckle correctly you need new conversion hubs seen above.

Dave

WRLFC !

Project cars
seanmooney

25th Feb 15 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah its the new conversion hubs i need.. was looking everywhere on line to get new hubs and couldnt so after piecing information from researching on line im going to get the knuckles machined out to take the audi 90 bearing and then press in the hub flange so theres no porblems with the hubs shearing like ive been hearing about..

My main problem was finding out what the hub flanges were from that take the larger shaft. So after taking to a Vaux breaker he gave me a pair of cav diesel and mk4 astra hub flanges.. they look slightly different but he told me that they are the same size shaft where it presses into the bearing and also to take the big drive shafts.

Does anyone know is there any other machining to be done to the hub flanges if im just going to fit into audi bearing?

New Poll