corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » NAS Recommenations

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author NAS Recommenations
Rob_Quads

User status: Offline
14th Sep 14 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As part of converting my converting my garage I a looking to get rid of my home server which runs in there in favour from a little nas I can run in the office.

The tools I mainly need are:

Plex server
Ftp downloader
Newsgroup downloader
Torrent downloader
Time machine support (would be nice)

The one part my server does which I have not sussed out yet is the cctv software as it runs a capture from a coax source over use. I am considering upgrading the camera to an ip camera

The synology suite of products look quite refined. As much as I love hacking around my time to do this is less so would like something fairly reliable but obviould as cheap as possible

Forgot to mention - standard disc format is also essential so I can recover it in 5 years time when the product no longer exists while still doing file duplication. (Raid normally fails here as its raid chip dependant)

[Edited on 14-09-2014 by Rob_Quads]
Bart

14th Sep 14 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This has Synology written all over it, inc CCTV capture.
Plex deciding is possible but not ideal IMO
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

16th Sep 14 at 08:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HP Microserver + FreeNAS

I'm currently running FreeNAS off a usb stick with 16GB of ram (upgrade), and 4x 3tb WD REDs, runs pretty nice with ZFS. Also replaced the two fans in the case so it runs near silent
John

16th Sep 14 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The hacked synology thing works pretty well, depending on how much setup you can be annoyed with.
Rob_Quads

16th Sep 14 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FreeNAS is an intersting one. I looked at it years ago when it was first becoming mainstream.

Its that fine line in terms of setup. I am happy to have to put in a certain amount of work to get it working. I'm a geek, I'll tinker but equally there will be times when I just don't have the time to be messing around with it so I don't need to rely on having to maintain it all the time.
I've done all the hacking of NSLU2 slugs etc and enjoyed it but don't have the time to be messing around with it night after night

John - When you say Hacked Synology - whats the hacked side give you.
willay
Premium Member

16th Sep 14 at 10:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't know about you, but once I've setup RAIDZ2, Samba, and Plex, the box runs itself.
John

16th Sep 14 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not hacked as such, just running the synology OS on non synology hardware.

I've got it running on an old PC (for CCTV only). The PC was a lot cheaper (free) than a proper synology box costs.
Rob_Quads

16th Sep 14 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah I see - gotcha - Is that 4.2 or the newer 5?
Dom

16th Sep 14 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
Ah I see - gotcha - Is that 4.2 or the newer 5?

Both. I've got a few Microservers running it and it does ok; had a few issues with the Synology OS though, specifically the CCTV side of things, but otherwise it's ok.
Rob_Quads

16th Sep 14 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What are the problems of the CCTV side as thats one of the important bits
Dom

16th Sep 14 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
What are the problems of the CCTV side as thats one of the important bits

Generally it works fine but i've noticed whenever i have a power failure/power cut it can drop recordings - last time it happened, it missed a whole day. But this is on 4.2 and not 5 (suppose to be a load of fixes) and i'm running it purely on motion sensing (which still needs a massive amount of tweaking as i have a load of false positives). I suspect if i switch it to continuous mode it'll be ok, that and using a UPS with it which wouldn't be a bad thing anyway (plus i could get it to power my IP cameras).

Only other issue i have is to do with the scheduler and bandwidth limiting (specifics times of the day limit speed etc) which i use for backups to another server, it seems to have a mind of its own.

Otherwise the setup is pretty reliable.

Do realise this is XPEnology (on a HP Microserver), so the issues i have may be specific to that and not official Synology devices/hardware.
John

16th Sep 14 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't think I've ever had a power cut while running it so haven't seen that problem yet.

Mine just record all the time basically, it's the cameras doing the motion sensing and not the synology though. Will eventually get around to looking at it but haven't had time.
Pop

17th Sep 14 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For those of you that use Synology products; if you wanted to upload a video file from a laptop to the NAS, would you do this via USB?
willay
Premium Member

17th Sep 14 at 14:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just transfer it over the network?
Dom

17th Sep 14 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Don't think I've ever had a power cut while running it so haven't seen that problem yet.

Mine just record all the time basically, it's the cameras doing the motion sensing and not the synology though. Will eventually get around to looking at it but haven't had time.

Most of the time it's fine after a power cut but it's the handful of occasions where it'll not record for an hour or two, or do what it did the last time and not record anything from all the cameras for a day*, that's the problem.

But i'm not running the latest version 5 of Synology OS (rather 4.3) nor the recent update for Surveillance Station and as i said, i think if i switch it all to Continuous Mode (and get it to dump a file every 5/10 minutes) then it'll be ok. Tbf, i really need to spend a day peeing around with it again.

Btw, are you dumping to a NFS/FTP/SMB partition straight from the cameras or are you using Surveillance Station (in Continuous Mode) for the recordings?

* There was a gap of around 24/25 hours in the recordings, so i guess some service didn't start correctly until the following day where it started dumping recordings again.

Pop - Nas storage presents itself as a network drive (similar to other drives) on your computer. So as Willay says, you'd just copy the file via the network drive.

[Edited on 17-09-2014 by Dom]
John

17th Sep 14 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm using surveillance station, got fed up trying to get it to record to a share, didn't manage to get that working at all.
Pop

17th Sep 14 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

willay / Dom - thanks for clarifying
Rob_Quads

19th Sep 14 at 08:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm going to with with XPEnology.

Time to move the server into the office while I am playing around with it. Then maybe back into the loft
Rob_Quads

19th Sep 14 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

XPEnology installed nice and easily. Now have the fun of messing around with discs to get all the files into the system

New Poll