corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » corsa 1.4 16v speedo sensor, which part..

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author corsa 1.4 16v speedo sensor, which part..
Metzy

User status: Offline
13th May 14 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a 96 Corsa 1.4 16v sport, no speedo and cuts out at junctions so swapped the speedo sensor for one off my spare engine and box (which worked in donor car) now still no speedo and is cutting out

I changed the screw off part of sensor which a thread on here suggested is correct, indeed trying order a new part at my local part place we were confident its only same as part I've used, however there is another part that sits inside box and secured with a 10mm bolt, is THIS the part that breaks? And if so how does it come out? Because at the moment it isn't wanting to move

Thanks in advance

Wayne
monkeytwizzel

13th May 14 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have the screw on transducer on the box and a white plastic drive fitted in your gearbox then yes.
As you have said undo the 10mm bolt and pull out the plastic drive as straight as you can,some are bloody tight.
Sometimes they just break with age but can mean dif bearing issues also.
Metzy

14th May 14 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But is it the white part that breaks? And great. Well it doesn't want come out in one piece at all on either box so will have price new one up

Cheers

Wayne.
Metzy

15th May 14 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Swapped clocks and no different so must be that second part of the speedo drive even though my dealer has only ever sold one in 3 years.. hmm
monkeytwizzel

15th May 14 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They do stick into the box well,Yes the drive teeth strip off sometimes just spray it with wd40 get some grips on it and give it a wiggle.
Make sure all of the old drive is out before fitting the new one.
With the transducer off jack up the car and get someone to look at the speedo drive while engine is running and in gear,should be able to see it turning.
Metzy

17th May 14 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Took main sender out of both boxes, and think I have figures the problem... the one out the car has a couple of teeth damaged an the end melted a bit, then I noticed a couple of differences on the box. I think the Muppet before me has put a 1.0-1.2 box in and put the 1.4 16v sender in so he could plug it in, however I don't think they're interchangeable are they? I know Renault and pug ones certainly aren't anyway

Best fix? If I get a 12v sender and plug and wire it in will it work?
Metzy

17th May 14 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh an did as you suggested and all it did was flex the drive up and down rather than spin.
monkeytwizzel

17th May 14 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When you look into the speedo drive hole in the box do see any teeth on the speedo drive ring?
What did drive you take out from this box?
Metzy

17th May 14 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just tried look and can't see down there gonna try and video it with my phone in a min see if I can see owt

Sender removed was the white type with round 3 pin connector same as I've seen fitted to f20 box XE conversions and same as fitted to my standard original spare engine and box. X14xe 96 Corsa sport

Metzy

18th May 14 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope Monkey can see no teeth. Just had take diff plate off as last night the centre of the speedo drive dropped in box,looking up or down iI can't really see a corresponding toothed wheel like I was expecting, this means its the uncogged black plastic sender I need doesn't it?
monkeytwizzel

18th May 14 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So it`s a proper electric speedo type box? I take that you see the pick ring in there when you checked.
So if you fit a speedo sensor with a rectangle shaped connection and get the plug to match,job done.

New Poll