corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Putting tv on stud wall/plasterboard

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Putting tv on stud wall/plasterboard
DanCobb

User status: Offline
3rd Feb 14 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone on here done this, if so what did you use to mount the bracket on the wall? Just getting round to decorating the front room and want to do it at the same time

Here's a pic of where I want it mounted

Sorry for shit pic
Dave

3rd Feb 14 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Find a stud if you can, they are typically 400/600mm apart or 18"/24".
If there isn't one where you need a few of these should be strong enough but I'd always recommend trying to hit something solid

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-5-x-37s-bp-hm-metal-plasterboard-anchor-pack-of-20/33559
sc0ott

3rd Feb 14 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a 47incher on a bracket fixed with a screw at the top and one at the bottom. Theyre quite big screws as well, no chance theyre being ripped out.
John

3rd Feb 14 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There should be a stud right in the middle of that at the least. If you get a couple of screws in that, it won't move.
RichR
Premium Member

3rd Feb 14 at 21:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If there any sockets behind the TV stand; take the face off and pull the pattress out ( assuming it has a plasterboard pattress); that should allow you to put a long screwdriver or similar through the hole to work out where the uprights are by comparison.
John

3rd Feb 14 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd just knock along it with my knuckle first, no point unscrewing stuff if it's obvious.
Gary
Premium Member

3rd Feb 14 at 21:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm with dave. Tho so anchors are cracking.
RichR
Premium Member

3rd Feb 14 at 21:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If there's a socket slap bang in the middle of the wall; there won't be an upright there to fasten to.

[Edited on 03-02-2014 by LiVe LeE]
John

3rd Feb 14 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Knocking along the wall still applies.
Aidan-Fleming

3rd Feb 14 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On that wall you will have a stud at either side of the door and one bang in the centre.
Hold your bracket up where you want it and put a small pencil mark in the middle of the bracket at the top.
Take racket down and put a level line horoztonal
Place the bracket back up to the wall with the top edge on the line you've just put on.
Mark the holes onto the wall that are on the bracket for fixing and try a screw in the holes you've just marked. If the bracket has numerous holes then line it up where the centre post is. One at the top of the bracket Into the stud and one at the bottom. Then for either end of the bracket you'll need screws there also but there probably won't be a stud so screw in a spiral fixing, then your screw will go through the bracket and into the centre of the spiral fixing. You'll have one spiral in each corner and two normal big screws into the stud. That will be more than enough to hold your tv. Baring in mind I'm a joiner to trade
sc0ott

4th Feb 14 at 08:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What fixings would you recommend for hanging the wooden tv stand up as well?
pow
Premium Member

4th Feb 14 at 08:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Find one stud, get a couple of screws in that and also use those metal fixings with the setting tool to flare them out properly
DanCobb

4th Feb 14 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks guys shall try and find a stud at the weekend. I've already bought some of them screw things, might buy some more to be safe. Oh and the socket is slightly to left rather then in the middle.
RichR
Premium Member

4th Feb 14 at 10:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That would suggest the upright is bang on centre then
sc0ott

4th Feb 14 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would still recommend buying a bracket that allows you to move the tv sideways for that final centre adjustment.
DanCobb

5th Feb 14 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You lot were right about the upright in the middle, put a good few screws in that

New Poll