corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Running wires through stud partition walls from ceiling to floor

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Running wires through stud partition walls from ceiling to floor
drunkenfool

User status: Offline
14th Aug 07 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just wondering the best way to do this? Basically Im going to network my sisters house properly for her, she doesnt want wi-fi cos she has a baby and is extremely health conscious about everything "bad", and obviously dont want wires everywhere. Ive run the cables through the floor/ceiling in my own house, and hidden them on the walls with conduit, but I was wondering the best way to hide them through the walls?
Ive just bought some fish tape off ebay which apparently helps you feed the wire through, but if there is a horizontal bit of wood between the floor and ceiling in the stud partition, how do you get hte cable through? Or are the cables run through plastic trunking inside the wall, and its a case of getting the cable to run through that?
Any advice appreciated
Russ

15th Aug 07 at 05:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not clear want you mean ( to me anyway) your runnig a wire down a stud wall, following the vertical stud and theres a horizontal stud in the way? if you can get at it, cut a groove in the stud. if you cant... have a really high newrok point
Craigos

15th Aug 07 at 06:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above if the wall has not been sheeted then drill a 20-25 hole into the stud. if it has been sheeted and you can either find the stud and cut the plasterboard either side of the stud and then drill holes? or if you have access above the stud wall then i have got extention drill bits that can do up to 3mtrs long. so u stand in the ceiling and drill through the top plate and keep drilling all the way down the wall.. then use a bit of cable or something to use as a draw wire to pull down the wall..

try and keep the data away from the power aswell. especially if running in parallel
a_j_mair

15th Aug 07 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

feed the cables through where there are sockets as should be holes drilled in any dwangs for elecrtic cables to go through.

wont be easy to get through all the same
Dom

15th Aug 07 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

like craig said, either cut the plasterboard either side of the horizontal stud or use a drill bit extension, you certainly dont want to be running network cable near mains cable if you can help it.

Cable doesn't have to be in trunking/conduit if it's going down plasterboards, just concrete/brick walls. And i would opt for some sheilded CAT 5/6, it's slightly stiffer as well and helped when i had to feed it around the house
Cosmo

15th Aug 07 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What exactly is she afraid of the wifi doing? Allowing the kid to pick up webpages in its head?!?!

drunkenfool

15th Aug 07 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
What exactly is she afraid of the wifi doing? Allowing the kid to pick up webpages in its head?!?!

theres still the debate about if its bad for your health or not, they are thinking of removing them from all primary schools till there is more info, same as the mobile phone debate I guess but she doesnt want to take the chance. Plus wired networks are much more reliable
John

15th Aug 07 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why are people only worried about mobiles and wifi, oh thats right, because they are on the tv.

If you worry about them you have to worry about all the other electromagnetic waves as well.

You would have to live in a faraday cage.
drunkenfool

15th Aug 07 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

probably cos they are transmitting signals from a much closer proximity to people than other sources. Personally I think its all bollocks anyway but you know what mothers with young babies are like!
Cosmo

15th Aug 07 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

She better hope her neighbours dont have wireless then, or take the sprog to public places as the majority have wifi hotspots now aswell.
C2RL R

16th Aug 07 at 07:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i can just picture her sitting at her comp searching for wireless connetions and freaking out when all her neighbours pop up!
lee mitchell

16th Aug 07 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by drunkenfool
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo

theres still the debate about if its bad for your health or not, they are thinking of removing them from all primary schools till there is more info, same as the mobile phone debate I guess but she doesnt want to take the chance. Plus wired networks are much more reliable
all the schools i do nowadays have wifi in every room plus about 30-60 data points aswell
MikeD

18th Aug 07 at 05:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=533
Aaron

19th Aug 07 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MikeD

Wow!

Has anyone got one of these?

This would make my life so much easier because i've got a cable to run from my media centre to my server at the other side of my flat.

If the quality and speed of these are any good then i'll get one!
mattk

19th Aug 07 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Our local makkies has wifi

as do the last 3 makkies ive been in
Gregor

19th Aug 07 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You will just need to try and find ?(as said) points where cables go up through the partition. Fucked if they come up form the floor though

Also remember that there might be insulation in there too, yet another problem

Good luck !
Dom

19th Aug 07 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Aj.
quote:
Originally posted by MikeD

Wow!

Has anyone got one of these?

This would make my life so much easier because i've got a cable to run from my media centre to my server at the other side of my flat.

If the quality and speed of these are any good then i'll get one!

look on The Register, they've done some groups tests between the different models and powerline chipset manufacturers -
> HERE <, > HERE <, > HERE <, > HERE <, > HERE <, > HERE <, > HERE <

etc
Ian
Site Administrator

20th Aug 07 at 02:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As a precaution, its a fairly insubstantial.

As a networking decision though, its a wise one. Wireless is far more hassle.

If the walls have horizontal bracing then there's no reason why you couldn't just hack through them as you find them. Plasterboard walls are easily repaired so its not the end of the world if you have to make a few additional holes.

New Poll