corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Nzbmatrix gone!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Nzbmatrix gone!
A2H GO

User status: Offline
13th Jan 13 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by John
What sort of prices have you been looking at for VPN's? I'm £7 a month or whatever for newsgroups so would probably spend that.

If I can get sickbeard going with utorrent that would do. TV shows are most of my downloading, with the odd film.

btguard.com do a proxy and a vpn service, site gets heavily mentioned but i've read a few recent reports of crap service. But that's around the £5 mark.
Otherwise bolehvpn.net, hidemyass.com/vpn, swissvpn.net (apparently log but there's no TOS/FUP to state that; cheap though and doesn't appear to be any limits), privacy.io (looks really good and well priced, £4.50/pm, no blocking of ports; no TOS or FUP, so no idea on limits).

Edit - airvpn.org is another, about £5/pm but no restrictions that i can see.

Edit 2 - http://torrentfreak.com/best-vpn-proxy-bittorrent-110618/ lots listed in the comments.

[Edited on 09-12-2012 by Dom]

Done some research on nearly all of them an none of them allow torrent downloading, and most keep logs (although they say they don't) and will hand them over at the drop of a hat.

I've gave up looking.
Dom

13th Jan 13 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's wrong with swissvpn.net, privacy.io and airvpn.org?

No T&C's against torrenting, only SwissVPN logs (30 days) but you're governed by Swiss law.

Edit - Swiss view of torrenting/P2P - http://torrentfreak.com/swiss-govt-downloading-movies-and-music-will-stay-legal-111202/

[Edited on 13-01-2013 by Dom]
noshua

13th Jan 13 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might as well just get a cheap seedbox...
jamied

13th Jan 13 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just got a super torrents seed box from seed.st. Then use ftp to download
Dom

13th Jan 13 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by noshua
Might as well just get a cheap seedbox...

Not that cheap compared to VPN's, especially if you want a box with any reasonable storage/BW/connection. Plus you're then stuck with dealing with private trackers (any decent trackers are invite only which is another issue), most providers won't allow public trackers/torrents, and seeding your downloads (where you're most likely to get caught).

Personally, VPN + "grab 'n' run".
A2H GO

13th Jan 13 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly Dom, looked looked into seedbox first but was more expensive for a decent service and all the hassle of private trackers, maintaining ratios ect

VPN looks good it's just finding the right one. I'm on on my phone now Dom will look again when I get in but I was looking for one with UK servers since all traffic gets routed through it and the can be quite slow.

Or I could go through the hassle of setting up a machine just to run the VPN.
noshua

13th Jan 13 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

France or Germany should be good too, I always found they have good routing.
Dom

13th Jan 13 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Likewise with the netherlands.
A2H GO

13th Jan 13 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much do you trust these things? A couple of those sites only have '1000' users connected, I'm guessing they could get passwords/banking logons etc if they wanted since everythings routed through their servers?

All of them say 'supports Windows 7' too but no mention of W8, do I just assume it works with W8 too.

How much hassle to setup a virtual machine?
Dom

13th Jan 13 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
How much hassle to setup a virtual machine?

Getting an XP VM going is pretty straight forward - install Virtual Box (FREE), create an container (can get away with fairly low resources with XP) and point into the ISO, then install the OS as you would normally.
If you suspend the VM then 'booting' only takes a few seconds.
A2H GO

13th Jan 13 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool, I'll give it a go tomorrow, do you think 512mb allocated to it will be enough? Laptops only got 2gb and need enough to run the host OS.

Dom

13th Jan 13 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
Cool, I'll give it a go tomorrow, do you think 512mb allocated to it will be enough? Laptops only got 2gb and need enough to run the host OS.

Shouldn't have any problems and i suspect you could get it down to 256MB without much issue; you can change the RAM allocation anyway.
Also worth using a bridge network connection otherwise by default it runs it's own NAT setup.
A2H GO

14th Jan 13 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Installed XP on VM with a bridged connection.

Everything working fine, connection working as can browse IE fine, but can't download anything?

Whenever I click any download links nothing happens, might be because it's an old version of IE but can't update it because can't download a newer version...
noshua

14th Jan 13 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hang on, why are you setting a VPN up on your own system?
Dom

14th Jan 13 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Internet connection works ok within the VM/able to browse sites etc? You have uTorrent etc installed? Correctly setup port forwarding (ideally assign a static address to the VM)?

quote:
Originally posted by noshua
Hang on, why are you setting a VPN up on your own system?

VPN out on the VM, torrent over VPN (outside of VM, traffic will use standard connection).

Edit - you might be right in that it could be IE 6/7 causing the problem; update to 9 (or change to chrome etc) and see where you get.

Edit 2 - Talking shite, shouldn't need to port forward anything if your torrenting over your VPN.

[Edited on 14-01-2013 by Dom]
noshua

14th Jan 13 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm a bit confused, what difference will it make using a VPN that you've got installed through a VM on your own machine?

I thought the whole idea was to use a remote leg/VPN so the traffic doesn't appear to be torrent from your connection (e.g. get around throttling) and also so you're "hidden" from people looking who's downloading what.
A2H GO

14th Jan 13 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Dom, it was because such an old version of IE was bundled with this copy of XP.

Got round it by downloading the Chrome.exe on the host, setting up a shared folder on the VM, transferring it over and then installing that way. Can download stuff fine now.

Noshua - Idea is that I'll use a VPN within the VM for torrenting and continue to use Windows 8 on the host as normal for my other internet traffic, not sure how much I trust my banking details etc going through some random swiss VPN. Plus I shouldn't have speed issues (as a result of being routed through some offshore server) on the host machine for everything else.

[Edited on 14-01-2013 by A2H GO]
noshua

15th Jan 13 at 08:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah right get you now. I thought you was setting a VM up to run your own VPN host, which is obviously a bit strange.

Can't VPN's be enabled and disabled as easily as disabling a network adapter in Network Settings?
A2H GO

15th Jan 13 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Perhaps but it's only taken me a couple of hours last night to set it up and saves messing about turning it on an off, plus it just feels better to have all that separate.

Once I've downloaded I'm planning on sticking the file in the shared folder and streaming through W8 since I haven't allocated enough memory to stream from the VM. Having this link through to the host wont undermine the VPN will it?
John

15th Jan 13 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm probably missing it written very clearly but what VPN have you ended up using?
A2H GO

15th Jan 13 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I haven't yet, I'm all setup ready to sort it out, going to have another look tonight.

Need one that allows torrents, doesn't keep logs, doesn't have any limits, is fairly well known/popular and less than $10-12pm.
A2H GO

15th Jan 13 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gone with the Astrill 7 day free trial, all good so far.
Doug

20th Jan 13 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm trying nzbsrus.com and it seems alright, but I need to pay 1 bitcoin to get VIP as I think my downloads are limited each day ffs

Anyone able to suggest a different nzb site that can work with couchpotato/Sickbeard? I don't mind paying a bit.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll