corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » alternatives to rapidshare

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author alternatives to rapidshare
Joe

User status: Offline
27th Nov 10 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's the most popular one? Used to use Rapidshare alot but most google results come up with loads of others but not many rapidshare results, which is gona get me most options?
Dom

27th Nov 10 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would say Usenet (downloading via newsgroups, use Grabit), although it costs a bit more - i pay $10 a month with Astraweb, that's for unlimited downloads and SSL (secure connection).

[Edited on 27-11-2010 by Dom]
Joe

27th Nov 10 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could you explain more, I've heard about newsgroups but don't know anything really.

I quite liked rapidshare and it was easy to find what I wanted so wouldn't mind just an alternative so its nice and simple like me.
Doug

27th Nov 10 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah this is pissing me off now.

Everyone is using 3-4 different hosts now! Needs one site to come along and get everyone using it!
Dom

27th Nov 10 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joe
Could you explain more, I've heard about newsgroups but don't know anything really.

I quite liked rapidshare and it was easy to find what I wanted so wouldn't mind just an alternative so its nice and simple like me.

Basically you sign up to a newsgroup provider like Astraweb, then download a newsgroup client like Grabit (set it up with your providers connection details) and then sign up to a newsgroup(/nzb) forum - one i use is nzbmatrix.com. It's then just the case of finding what you want to download, click the link and Grabit will automatically download it.

The only thing you have to look out for is retention, which is basically how many days the file is stored on your providers servers. So in the case of Astraweb, you can download anything that is less that 828days old (nzbmatrix lists the age of the download on every post).

I made the swap from Rapidshare about a year ago as i found RS were starting to clear up dodgy files from their servers, so a lot of links would come up with "File not found" etc. As said, with a lot of newsgroup providers you get an SSL connection to their servers, so it's secure unlike RS/Torrent/Limewire/Kazaa etc
Joe

27th Nov 10 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds complicated, I'll look into it.
ssj_kakarot

27th Nov 10 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hotfile seems to be popular but i get really sht speeds
noshua

27th Nov 10 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get shut speeds with HF too, I'd go with usenet as well tbh, especially
I'd you're a big downloader

Edit; shot phone will update later

[Edited on 27-11-2010 by noshua]
Dom

27th Nov 10 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joe
Sounds complicated, I'll look into it.

once setup it's no more complicated than RS - search a forum for what you want, click a link and it downloads in your client.
Joe

27th Nov 10 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just signed up to Hotfile for a month, getting albums in a couple of mins so can't fault that for now.
ssj_kakarot

27th Nov 10 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by Joe

Basically you sign up to a newsgroup provider like Astraweb, then download a newsgroup client like Grabit (set it up with your providers connection details) and then sign up to a newsgroup(/nzb) forum - one i use is nzbmatrix.com. It's then just the case of finding what you want to download, click the link and Grabit will automatically download it.

The only thing you have to look out for is retention, which is basically how many days the file is stored on your providers servers. So in the case of Astraweb, you can download anything that is less that 828days old (nzbmatrix lists the age of the download on every post).

I made the swap from Rapidshare about a year ago as i found RS were starting to clear up dodgy files from their servers, so a lot of links would come up with "File not found" etc. As said, with a lot of newsgroup providers you get an SSL connection to their servers, so it's secure unlike RS/Torrent/Limewire/Kazaa etc

just signed up for astra web to try it out, what server and port settings are you using?

only gettin about 800kb/s, rapidshare used to max out about 2400kb/s

i thought newsgroups where supposed to be super duper fast?
jamied

27th Nov 10 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do u use grabit? up the connections to more
ssj_kakarot

27th Nov 10 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jamied

yeah, connections set to 20 i think thats the limit with astraweb
jamied

27th Nov 10 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmm strange i use usenetserver and have my connections to 10 and maxes out my connection without fail.
Are you using the default port? newsgroups are very fast when working properly.

http://helpdesk.astraweb.com/index.php?_m=troubleshooter&_a=steps&troubleshootercatid=1&parentid=0
jamied

27th Nov 10 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

by way if anybody interested in using usenet. there are some amazing deals on http://www.newsgroupreviews.com/coupon-codes.html
I get usenetserver for 10dollars a month.. and if any kind persion does join please refer me... ID: 315523
ssj_kakarot

27th Nov 10 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
hmm strange i use usenetserver and have my connections to 10 and maxes out my connection without fail.
Are you using the default port? newsgroups are very fast when working properly.

http://helpdesk.astraweb.com/index.php?_m=troubleshooter&_a=steps&troubleshootercatid=1&parentid=0

cheers bud, changed the ports about a bit and its going at 2200kb/s now.
ssj_kakarot

27th Nov 10 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well after downloading a 4 gig 720p movie i cant say im that impressed, only get decent speeds when there are loads of files downloading, when it hits only 4 or 5 files left its dropped to something like 70kb/s

much prefer rapidshare at this point al give it the month though see if it gets better
Dom

27th Nov 10 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ssj_kakarot
quote:

which ports are you using? currently got it set to 443 SSL port and i can max it out (although Virgin's new traffic shaping limits it during peak times to 200k or so). You tried 563?
Could also try the unsecure ports - 23, 119, 8080. Also make sure you're using the europe servers.

Btw, did you purchase the Unlimited DSL plan or just the Unlimited plan? The latter has a speed restriction.
There are also a couple of offers - http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html and the one i use - http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/voucher.cgi?t=h43vom3sb75ppj5

Edit - Newsdemon look like they have a decent offer on plus they offer 50 connections, might be worth a look if anyone is interested. Also anyone with a virgin media cable connection, you can use VM's own newsgroup to download. Although it isn't SSL'd, they old have a 7 day retention and outside peak times you can max your connection (VM's traffic shaping naffs you around during the peak times).

Toby
Premium Member

27th Nov 10 at 21:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

RapidShare is dead hotfile is taking off although I do sometimes use Usenet I don't think there is th ease of selection like this sight for example x264-bb.com
ssj_kakarot

27th Nov 10 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
quote:

which ports are you using? currently got it set to 443 SSL port and i can max it out (although Virgin's new traffic shaping limits it during peak times to 200k or so). You tried 563?
Could also try the unsecure ports - 23, 119, 8080. Also make sure you're using the europe servers.

Btw, did you purchase the Unlimited DSL plan or just the Unlimited plan? The latter has a speed restriction.
There are also a couple of offers - http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html and the one i use - http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/voucher.cgi?t=h43vom3sb75ppj5

Edit - Newsdemon look like they have a decent offer on plus they offer 50 connections, might be worth a look if anyone is interested. Also anyone with a virgin media cable connection, you can use VM's own newsgroup to download. Although it isn't SSL'd, they old have a 7 day retention and outside peak times you can max your connection (VM's traffic shaping naffs you around during the peak times).

yeah got the unlimited dsl plan, ill try some more ports tommorow when i can be arsed
noshua

28th Nov 10 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

yeah got the unlimited dsl plan, ill try some more ports tommorow when i can be arsed

server; eu.news.astraweb.com
port; 443
timeout: 120
connections: 8
SSL: yes

and

server; eu.news.astraweb.com
port; 563
timeout: 120
connections: 8
SSL: yes

maxes my 20mb virgin out in and out of peak times.
kazazza

28th Nov 10 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go to www.warez-bb.org! Thats where I get my stuff from, you can get anything you want on rapidshare from there!
Marc

28th Nov 10 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Vuze isn't bad.
Dom

29th Nov 10 at 00:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just trying out Newsdemon (Astraweb sub just finished) which is £7.33 a month for 50 connections and 700 days of retention. It's not too bad, i'm getting about 1.5-2mb/s, but if i try all 50 connections i find it truely ruins my net connection, which is odd. Will see how it is over the next month or so and change if need be.

Edit - The folk using usenet, which nzb search engines/forums do you use?

[Edited on 29-11-2010 by Dom]
jamied

29th Nov 10 at 00:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use nzbmatrix.com mainly
Sometimes use nzbs.org
Used to use newzbin

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll