corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Windows Surface RT

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Windows Surface RT
mwg

User status: Offline
6th Dec 12 at 09:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been asked to look in to one for my Dad, Step Mum and little brother as a shared family thing. They already have a desktop PC and laptop.

They don't have smart phones but do have an iPod Touch so if anything they know iOS. No experience of Android or Windows phones. They aren't the best when it comes to technology so what ever they get needs to be easy to use.

They're thinking about a Windows Surface RT with the keyboard cover. I think they're thinking they can just use this all the time instead of their desktop and laptop. I'm not sure it'll be what they are expecting in that respect so wondered if it'd be better to point them in the direction of an iPad. Least that way they get the biggest range of apps, easy to use OS that they are kind of familiar with. And accept you still need a desktop/laptop to do certain things. I would say 95% of their use is emailing and internet browsing anyway and my brother will just want to play games on it I suspect. My Dads main concern was if they'd be able to do their Tesco online shopping on it FFS

So yeah is it more than just another tablet? Or are they better off spending the money on an iPad and a keyboard attachment for that if they really want a keyboard?
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

6th Dec 12 at 09:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not really RT you can only install things from the windows store. So its locked like the iPad. I prefer the usability on the windows tablets now though.

If you want complete customization you'd need one with win8 pro or enterprise.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

6th Dec 12 at 09:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If they are used to a windows PC just get a windows tablet.
John

6th Dec 12 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iPad and tell them they'll have to use the PC occasionaly.
Rob_Quads

6th Dec 12 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo

From what I have seen of the windows tablets, they have nothing in common with Windows UNLESS you have windows 8. If your a windows 7 user you will have to do just as much learning about the way it works than an android or iOS device.

If they already have a iPod touch i would say the iPad would be much less for them to learn.
John

6th Dec 12 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not really, under the metro bit on the top, which is just some tiles, it's basically the same underneath.

I'd still go with iPad though.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

6th Dec 12 at 10:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Not really, under the metro bit on the top, which is just some tiles, it's basically the same underneath.

Not with RT its not iirc
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

6th Dec 12 at 10:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
quote:

From what I have seen of the windows tablets, they have nothing in common with Windows UNLESS you have windows 8. If your a windows 7 user you will have to do just as much learning about the way it works than an android or iOS device.

If they already have a iPod touch i would say the iPad would be much less for them to learn.

I have several win 8 tablets in front of me now anyway
mwg

6th Dec 12 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
quote:

From what I have seen of the windows tablets, they have nothing in common with Windows UNLESS you have windows 8.

The little I had read about Windows Surface was along the lines of what your saying.
John

6th Dec 12 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by John

Not with RT its not iirc

RT isn't, the proper 8 versions are though.

I personally wouldn't consider an RT over an iPad.
mwg

6th Dec 12 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm going to steer them towards an iPad then. Thanks for the help.

I have an iPad so it's easier for me too
Balling
Premium Member

6th Dec 12 at 10:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
I have an iPad so it's easier for me too
I was actually going to propose that you guide them based on your own knowledge. They're bound to ask you about every little thing, so it saves you having to learn a new OS that you don't actually use.

Kyle T
Premium Member

6th Dec 12 at 10:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got an RT Surface to play with from work.

I hate my iPad btw, so I'm not a fanboy... but...

The Surface is terrible

Screen orientation doesn't know which way is up half of the time, and the apps are constantly freezing up or crashing to desktop.

As for the desktop usability comparison - your standard facebook/online banking monkeys will probably get along absolutely fine with RT Windows 8. For basic functionality it's exactly the same as using a PC, with the added convenience of removable keyboard and touchscreen for when a flat surface isn't available.

If the Surface wasn't so buggy and glitchy, I'd get one in lieu of a personal laptop without hesitation and the iPad would never get used.

I'm looking forward to seeing the full version after Christmas which although expensive, should allow domain membership and full windows 8 functionality which I can see being great for work use.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
AndyKent

6th Dec 12 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just can't get over the price of RT.

£400 plus £100 for the keyboard (really!?) for something with less apps and less testing to know it won't get abandoned like WP7.

Got their price point completely wrong. Don't want another iPad but nothing comes close to its value tbh.
Rob_Quads

6th Dec 12 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
I just can't get over the price of RT.

£400 plus £100 for the keyboard (really!?) for something with less apps and less testing to know it won't get abandoned like WP7.

Got their price point completely wrong. Don't want another iPad but nothing comes close to its value tbh.

Agreed. To start with IMO the RT had to undercut the iPad by a chunk to really make any major sales numbers. With the RT one being on a par with the iPad it means the full Windows 8 tables are way above the iPad market and IMO almost in their own. More expensive than comparable laptops but a chunk more than slightly less powered tablets.
mwg

6th Dec 12 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As soon as I looked them up and saw the price I thought - iPad money! Although it is £399 for 32GB whereas you only get a 16GB iPad for that.

I think they've seen the advert for it and my little brothers gone I want that with no thought if they actually need one or if it'll do what they even want it to do
Rob_Quads

6th Dec 12 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your being asked to also provide support I would use that as one of the major factors too.

...that said I do quite like being able to say to the mother in law "Sorry I can't help I have an iPhone not a Windows 8 phone" when she is asking for support.
Balling
Premium Member

6th Dec 12 at 12:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
with no thought if they actually need one or if it'll do what they even want it to do
None tech savvy people always seem to have issues managing their expectations.

My father in law thinks the iPad is the stupidest thing ever, because he can't receive an email with an attached Excel or PDF file and edit it as he's used to on his PC.
He also seems to believe that purchasing a Smart TV should some how have made him able to see every video available on the internet. I think he believed there would simply be a channel playing "internet".

AndyKent

6th Dec 12 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The RT system and the office apps that come included take around half the storage space, so you buy a 32gb but only really get 16 anyway

New Poll