corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Perspex/polycarb corsa windows

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Perspex/polycarb corsa windows
C4RL0

User status: Offline
   11th Mar 07 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The car has been stripped for a while now, but i'm looking into saving some more weight. Firstly, I want to know how much of a weight saving there will be if I change to perspex/polycarb windows (rear windscreen and four side windows)?

And which is best, perspex or polycarb? I understand that the polycarb have a very soft surface and scratch really easy

Is it possible to have the windows so that they still go up and down like normal windows or do they HAVE to be fixed? If they are fixed then I realise I can do away with all kinds of window mechanisms, but it comes out more than just a couple of times a week and would be nice if my windows still went up and down. I don't think the Mrs would like the idea of a tiny sliding shutter either

Is it easy to cut the windows yourself? If it's easy enough, where can I buy sheets of the preferred plastic? And roughly how much?

Cheers guys
ed

11th Mar 07 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The rear screen glass weighs a lot. It weighs more than the metal part of the panel.

You can't get Perspex windows, if you can then that is possibly the most stupid thing you can fit to a car. Perspex is the commercial name of acrylic plastic. acrylic is far too brittle to use on a car and it shatters into sharp pieces too.

The windows are narmally fixed because you are fitting them to save weight aren't you - so you scrap the winders.

You buy the windows pre-cut as they are shaped to fit and aren't just pieces of flat plastic. You cut the windows out using the correct tools, but if you haven't fittd glass before, don't bother trying unless you know somone who can show you how to do it.

P.S. They are a pain in the arse to clean too because they scratch so easily.
C4RL0

11th Mar 07 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.waldenengineering.co.uk/corsa_b.asp

Seller of perspex windows for corsa rally cars.
jr

11th Mar 07 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

evreything you need to know

http://plastics4performance.co.uk/faq.asp
Superlite Ltd.

11th Mar 07 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You may have stripped the car but i bet your still using heavy old cast alloy wheels

Fit some 3 piece alloys before you spend your cash on sprung weight
C4RL0

11th Mar 07 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you from the superlite site?
Superlite Ltd.

11th Mar 07 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I own superlite alloy wheels trademark yes.

New Poll