corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Android - Roll back OS?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Android - Roll back OS?
Brett
Premium Member

User status: Offline
24th Oct 12 at 10:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can I rollback the OS on my Galaxy S2?

I gave in this morning and upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich and I want Gingerbread back, loads of stuff doesn't work right now and I just don't like it, wish I hadn't bothered.
pow
Premium Member

24th Oct 12 at 10:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, you can. How you do it is another topic all together. Google is your friend
Brett
Premium Member

24th Oct 12 at 10:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm wondering if I just do a hard reset if it will restore it to how it left the factory.

My main issue is, now when I receive any emails to my phone with attachments the email simply says "null" and it doesn't show them
Dom

24th Oct 12 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
I'm wondering if I just do a hard reset if it will restore it to how it left the factory.

My main issue is, now when I receive any emails to my phone with attachments the email simply says "null" and it doesn't show them

What email client are you using (i'm guessing it's not Gmail rather the Touchwiz client)? POP3 based? Is it up-to-date?
Was the ICS update official? OTA?

Best bet is to have a look on XDA Devs or Modaco; it's doable but if the baseband has changed (likely) then it's going to be a PITA.

However i'd do a factory reset first, go through adding your email accounts again and see if that sorts it before peeing around with downgrading.

I'd also recommend trying the K9 email client (from the Play store), it's pretty decent are certainly better than the Touchwiz client.
Whittie

24th Oct 12 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ice cream sandwiches, gingerbread men? dafuq?

Hard reset restores to factory settings.
Dom

24th Oct 12 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie

It'll reset the settings but it won't downgrade the firmware back to 2.3.
Whittie

24th Oct 12 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

I did it and it was on 2.3, assuming the phone was already on 2.3 and never upgraded then!
Brett
Premium Member

24th Oct 12 at 11:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

What email client are you using (i'm guessing it's not Gmail rather the Touchwiz client)? POP3 based? Is it up-to-date?
Was the ICS update official? OTA?

Best bet is to have a look on XDA Devs or Modaco; it's doable but if the baseband has changed (likely) then it's going to be a PITA.

However i'd do a factory reset first, go through adding your email accounts again and see if that sorts it before peeing around with downgrading.

I'd also recommend trying the K9 email client (from the Play store), it's pretty decent are certainly better than the Touchwiz client.

That's not a bad shout, I'll try a different client. I just generally like to use the shiz that's already installed.
Brett
Premium Member

24th Oct 12 at 11:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

Deffo not? I don't mean in the setting where you click on factory restore, I mean punching the code in that makes the screen flash black and red and basically reinstalls the system to how it left the factory.

EDIT: *2767*3855# This one, I dare someone to type it in.

[Edited on 24-10-2012 by Brett]
pow
Premium Member

24th Oct 12 at 11:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Teh fuck I'm doing that again on my HTC
Matt L

24th Oct 12 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

Deffo not? I don't mean in the setting where you click on factory restore, I mean punching the code in that makes the screen flash black and red and basically reinstalls the system to how it left the factory.

EDIT: *2767*3855# This one, I dare someone to type it in.

[Edited on 24-10-2012 by Brett]

yeah that doesnt take it back to gingerbread, I have tried this when on the phone with htc to see if it solved my issues that i have had since the ics update, 3 software updates since and i still have issues i have just given up and learnt to live with it.

edit: how to guide here http://cs-pages.blogspot.fr/2012/04/how-to-downgrade-android-os-simple.html

not that i have looked at it or tried it.

[Edited on 24-10-2012 by Matt L]
Brett
Premium Member

24th Oct 12 at 12:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why oh why did I accept I've put it off for so long because I was quite content with how the phone was
Dom

24th Oct 12 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you do a Google there are a few forum threads about users having problems with the updated Touchwiz email client (if that is what you're using).
As said, i would first do a factory reset and see where that gets you. It might just be a bodged setting/setup. Failing that, look into rooting the phone, remove Samsung's Touchwiz email client and replace it with the stock ICS email client (look on XDA as there is probably a guide for this). Or use a different email client like K9.

Do you have these issues using the GMail app? Or is it just isolated to the Touchwiz client?
Toby
Premium Member

24th Oct 12 at 14:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

flash the RRU rom (completely stock rom from Samsung) for gingerbread, will wipe everything on the phone. XDA developers is your friend for the rom and how to flash it.
Brett
Premium Member

25th Oct 12 at 08:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good shout on K9 Dom, like it and solves my email issue. ONLY problem for me is that the widget icons you can have that will show the number of unread on the home screen will only do it per inbox, not collectively over several like the standard built in email.

New Poll