corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » PC Build

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author PC Build
nibnob21
Premium Member

User status: Offline
17th Oct 12 at 22:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure if anyone's interested but I'm doing a PC build in the next week or so.

My laptop works fine but it's 3 years old and the spec is very poor (only cost me around £350 at the time) and can't cope with the CAD work I do.

So I thought I'd invest around £500 - £550 and get a decent upgrade. Seeing as the laptop still works fine there is no point in getting another one so I thought I'd do a PC build

Here's a list of parts I've ordered:

CPU

Motherboard

RAM

Hard drive

Graphics card

Case

Power supply

Wireless adaptor

Anyone else done their own builds or got experience with any of the bits I've ordered? Feel free to post pics of yours if you want.

MX5 Project Thread
ashleh

18th Oct 12 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-100-GI
Daveskater
Premium Member

18th Oct 12 at 12:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like a good build I've got the same RAM and it certainly does well enough for me. Not that I'm exactly a hardcore gamer or anything, but it runs Photoshop nice enough

This is the case I got, I really like it. It's quite a nice touch that the inside is all black and there are loads of spaces for fans. The cooling is great - on a chilly day I've had my CPU down to about 1C Then again, it does have this beast strapped to it

Pic of the fan installed:

[Edited on 18-10-2012 by Daveskater]

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Sam
Premium Member

18th Oct 12 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that some sort of hovercraft?
nibnob21
Premium Member

18th Oct 12 at 18:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ashleh
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-100-GI

I'm getting Dirt for free with the one I bought. There are always going to be better offers come up here and there so I'm not too bothered if I've missed out slightly.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

18th Oct 12 at 18:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daveskater
Looks like a good build I've got the same RAM and it certainly does well enough for me. Not that I'm exactly a hardcore gamer or anything, but it runs Photoshop nice enough

This is the case I got, I really like it. It's quite a nice touch that the inside is all black and there are loads of spaces for fans. The cooling is great - on a chilly day I've had my CPU down to about 1C Then again, it does have this beast strapped to it

Pic of the fan installed:

[Edited on 18-10-2012 by Daveskater]

Yeah I'm not a gamer either. My main need will be for it to run Solidworks 2012 smoothly and render and do flow simulations well.

But for a bit of gaming on the side the setup should be more than capable

Seen a lot of people have gone for those CoolerMaster cases, they seem to be popular.

And Sam's right, that does look like some sort of hovercraft

MX5 Project Thread
AndyKent

18th Oct 12 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How on earth does it get down to 1c?

Unless the air in the case is sub-zero surely it's impossible?
Daveskater
Premium Member

29th Oct 12 at 21:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't know, if it can displace enough heat through the fins then it's probably possible. The figures on the box say it can displace 300W when it's at full speed. Even if the reading is out and it's not that low, it's clearly still very effective Sitting here right now it's telling me the core temp is at 5.5C and the room is at about 20C going by the thermometer on the wall.

I see what you mean about it looking like a hovercraft though

I have a similar spec PC at work (main difference is twice the amount of RAM and lack of gigantic fan) and that runs Autodesk Revit pretty well, so I'd imagine this kind of spec will be alright with Solidworks - although admittedly I've never actually used Solidworks.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures

New Poll