corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Where do i get power for an amp.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Where do i get power for an amp.
p1723944

User status: Offline
30th Apr 03 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm a bit new to ICE, but know i've got the car looking good i need some block rockin beats, but i haven't got a clue.

I've fitted a kenwood head unit which has a output of 240 w, and some sony Xplod 6x9's which i beleive are 240w (?).

My first question is will an amp make any difference to the quality of the sound or is it just the volume, if so is there any point in getting a amp if i don't have a sub, will i just feck the 6x9's.

Second if i get an amp would i be able to take the power form the light in the boot to power it, is it enough.
Richie

30th Apr 03 at 09:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

guys help newbie!

1st answer: They will sound okay run off the headunit but for better quality and loudness get a decent amp to power them.

2nd answer: Fcuk no the boot light wire is like 18awg or less! You need to get a wiring kit and run leads through your car.
p1723944

30th Apr 03 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what size amp would i need ?
Richie

30th Apr 03 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

something along the lines of 2x100RMS should do you fine.
Kris TD

30th Apr 03 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

240 watts is about 40 watts rms, that amp will kill em, btw your head unit is only about 45 rms 240 is a bullshit figure that some companies use to make them seem more impressive.
you need at least 8 guage power cable coming straight from the battery. if you use the permanent live from the light it will melt the wire in seconds as the amp draws far to much current.
c0r5a_gsi

30th Apr 03 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

@ 240w headunit. dont you just love manufacturers blurb.
Kris, you mean his headunit is more like 45 Peak and about 20 rms.
Even alpines 4x60 units only run at about 27rms.

[Edited on 30-04-2003 by c0r5a_gsi]

[Edited on 30-04-2003 by c0r5a_gsi]
Kris TD

30th Apr 03 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep, thats what i meant, lol.

240 watt, jesus you could power a huge sub off the headunit, lol
c0r5a_gsi

30th Apr 03 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol, I had some guy ask me that at work once, he was looking at the specs for this headunit and it said 2 Pre-Out, 1 x Subout etc..
And he says to me, "Hey mate, this headunit has got a subout built in, that means if I get this headunit, I don't need a seperate amp for my subs then, right ? "
OMG I nearly PMSL
SteveW

30th Apr 03 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why hello new guy. welcome to the crazy world of ICE.

Are you planning anything more for your sound system?? If you are thinking of getting a couple of subs and some front speakers (components work best up front in the doors) Then i would say to get a couple of good 2 channel amps. 1 of them around 120RMS, this will be used to power your 6x9's. The other would be used to power the sub/s. This is when it gets serious, you cant underpower subs, they wont like it and the amps will blow up. So i would say to get an all in one jobbie. This will include a sub, box and a built in amp which is chosen by the manufacture to run it porperly. A few companies do this.
Vibe
Pioneer
Kenwood(i think)

These weigh in at around £230, which is a great price. You can pick these up at your local Halfords. You can also get the amp wire kit from there as well. These cost around £25. You will need to run the wire kit from the battery in the engine bay, through to your boot. NOT too hard, it just sounds hard. Then a few wires from the headunit to the boot. Then your away. Make sure you secure everything down, otherwise you will have you equipment rolling around in the boot. NOT the best thing. Your headunit will have enough power to run the 6x9's BUT if you want it to go any louder or clearer, then you must get an amp. A 2 channel is fine for this. then you can use your headunit to just run some components. (front door speakers) This wasy you will have quite a nice set-up. Just make sure you dont go for CRAPPY makes. So far your OK. Kenwood and sony are OK. Do not go for:
SPLX
BOSS
FURY

i hope some of this helped. (this is probably the longest post i have ever done )

Steve.
corb

30th Apr 03 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant be bothered to read all that, bloody hell snowy, i'd have got bored by the end of the post.

Snowy knows what he's on about, so take his advice.
Cursa

30th Apr 03 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kris, 240W peak is 170RMS. Divide peak by 1.414 to give RMS.
Kris TD

30th Apr 03 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

then divide that by 4 as its 4 channel.
Kris TD

30th Apr 03 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking at my sony 6x9's sitting on my dest they say max input power 140 w
rated power 35w
Cursa

1st May 03 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah ok Kris! Still that ain't clear in "240 watts is about 40 watts rms"....! Those 6x9 ratings sound weird.
Kris TD

1st May 03 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the high figure as with most cheap things is a total bull sh1t figure, i dont rate these sony speakers atall. only reason i have them is becasue they are slightly better than the cr4p jvc ones i used to have and the sonys were free, gonna get rid of them though .

New Poll