corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Suspension Advice :)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Suspension Advice :)
Aidan-Fleming

User status: Offline
13th Aug 12 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right guys im needing some advice on suspension. Its for my redtop corsa with 15" Cesaro wheels with 45mm tyres.

Im currently on Bilstein Shocks and springs all round but the passenger side at the front scraps on the arches and has ruined the tyre. I think i have a leaking shock but id like to get new suspension all round or maybe just the front. Im just wondering what suspension people are using? Ive heard fk coilovers are a cunt. Im not made of money so would like somthing at a reasonable price. also heard 400lb springs?

Also the wheel sit at a crazy camber and have fucked the inside of my tyres. the top of the wheel sits in which i think is negative camber but i maybe wrong? but the shocks im on are not camber adjustable, so i think the tracking rod ends need tightened so that the wheels sit normal with no camber?

All help is much appreciated
HarleyMK

13th Aug 12 at 00:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best coilovers would be either GAZ or SPAX but are expensive unless you find a decent 2nd hand set

As for your camber issues, when you lower a car you naturally get negative camber, if you don't have camber adjustment on your shocks you'll need camber adjusting bolts.
Track rod ends being loose wont cause your camber as these are used to adjust the toe angle

Hope this helps
Aidan-Fleming

13th Aug 12 at 00:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by HarleyMK
Best coilovers would be either GAZ or SPAX but are expensive unless you find a decent 2nd hand set

As for your camber issues, when you lower a car you naturally get negative camber, if you don't have camber adjustment on your shocks you'll need camber adjusting bolts.
Track rod ends being loose wont cause your camber as these are used to adjust the toe angle

Hope this helps

Yeah I did hear that gaz and spax were good, also I heard Avo. Will have a look at prices but I've been hearing about the adjustable ring hitting the wheel? Also as for the camber I thought you have to have the oval shaped hole on the shock to use them but if I straighten the wheel so it has no camber then it will hit the arch more as at the moment the wheel is sitting in at the top and is hitting. So I basically need to raise the front a bit? Thanks for help
HarleyMK

13th Aug 12 at 00:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Avo are another good one too.
With the adjuster ring hitting the wheel you can either use wheel spacers to bring the wheel further out or on mine I have taken out the helper springs and put higher poundage springs on to compensate.
The camber adjustment bolts do basically the same thing as the slotted hole does, there just needed if you dont have the slotted whole, but most coilvers do.
If your wearing out tyres stupidly quickly then best bet will be to raise it up slightly and have the camber sorted.
Aidan-Fleming

13th Aug 12 at 00:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was gonna get these front shocks but what springs would I need? Don't want it to low? Also maybe 400lb springs? But don't know what ones would fit these shocks?! :/
Aidan-Fleming

13th Aug 12 at 00:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=290756231498&index=1&nav=WATCHING&nid=76169110988
HarleyMK

13th Aug 12 at 00:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its personal opinion as to which springs, ie how low you want it and how stiff you want it.
I use 340lb front springs on my 1.6 and they ride pretty solid.
most people tend to use around 350 - 400 springs with xe engines but again its all personal preference as to how you want it to ride etc
Aidan-Fleming

13th Aug 12 at 00:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I'd like to use either 350 - 400lb springs. But I just don't know which ones would fit on them beilstein shocks? You wouldn't happen to know would you? Or any links? Thanks
HarleyMK

13th Aug 12 at 00:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be honest I dont, but im sure someone on here will
nibnob21
Premium Member

13th Aug 12 at 17:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any springs made to fit a Corsa B will fit on any shocks made for a Corsa B. Mixing brands isn't an issue. I'm using Apex springs on Spax shocks for instance.

MX5 Project Thread
Aidan-Fleming

13th Aug 12 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Okay, thanks for help!
nibnob21
Premium Member

13th Aug 12 at 18:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

May be different with coilovers though by the way. I'm not so clued up on them, but for shocks what I've written above stands.

MX5 Project Thread
Nic Barnes

13th Aug 12 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As long as the spring fits the coil over it doesn't matter what you use. Just put 400lbs in front of mine it's not as hash as I was expecting actually drives pretty well, bit stiff but a lot more solid.
Nic Barnes

13th Aug 12 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh forgot to mention I've had avo, spax rsx and Gäz on it now. Personally I think the car was best on the spax but a lot of it is how the owner/driver likes the car to be.
Aidan-Fleming

14th Aug 12 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
As long as the spring fits the coil over it doesn't matter what you use. Just put 400lbs in front of mine it's not as hash as I was expecting actually drives pretty well, bit stiff but a lot more solid.

Oh okay Nic thanks, is just I searched 400lb spings and heaps came up with sizes etc. so didn't know what ones I needed
Aidan-Fleming

14th Aug 12 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
Oh forgot to mention I've had avo, spax rsx and Gäz on it now. Personally I think the car was best on the spax but a lot of it is how the owner/driver likes the car to be.

Oh really, okay then. Yeah is like them to be quite hard but suppose you don't know until you try lol but with some of these coilovers kits thy ain't cheap so you want to be right first time lol

New Poll