corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Website idea

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Website idea
A2H GO

User status: Offline
9th May 12 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just looking for pointers on how to bring this to life. I sell iPhone parts and I'm having an eCommerce site done at the moment but its just a cheap job to get me started.

I then had an idea, I'd like to implement something whereby the user can 'build an iPhone' and through a series of selections/dropdowns they can choose the screen(colour, gold, silver etc), bezel(colour, diamond, gold etc), rear cover, buttons and home button. Once or as the selections are being made the phone is somehow built up below the selections.

Is that possible without spending mega money having someone do it for me? Wondering if to call off my website being made now as they're using Zencart (i think) and I doubt it would work with this anyway unless I had a link to say 'workshop' that took the user to another site from my shop that did this.

[Edited on 09-05-2012 by A2H GO]
Whittie

9th May 12 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a ballache with Zencart but can be achieved through a few addons, i did one ages ago for a t shirt company > red sleeves, white collar, black shirt etc etc.

Just had to get an image of every possible outcome really.
James

9th May 12 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It sounds fairly bespoke so I would imagine you would need something custom built for it to look decent, that will cost quite a lot.

I'm sure you could probably modify one of the off-the-shelf packages to do it somehow, but it would probably look rubbish and be quite obvious that you've tried to shoehorn your solution into one of the existing packages.
ed

9th May 12 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sure you could get someone to build a little web app for you to be able to sell things that way - it's quite a time consuming process to build things like that so it wouldn't be a cheap thing to have done.
A2H GO

9th May 12 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I'm having visions of having to get pictures of every possible obscure combination of which there could be 100's.

Another option would somehow be an 'exploded' picture so the chosen parts line up next to or on top of eachother without actually being togehter, if they were all photographed on a pure white or black background it could look like one image. Like this but only say 3 maybe 4 layers and actual pictures of the items

I think its getting the images to overlap without blocking the previous image that will be the issue.

Laney

9th May 12 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you wanted to enter the dark world of Magento that does configurable products by default. The front-end you're describing would take considerable amounts of work though
A2H GO

9th May 12 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dark world of magneto

I could compromise with the parts simply lining up next to eachother, just wondered if there was anything out there I could bastardise (if thats the right word )
ed

9th May 12 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could get someone to create a nice set of vector iPhone renderings, that way you could apply different colours to the components using SVG or canvas graphics in the browser - that way you'd avoid the need for loads of pics.
Bart

9th May 12 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It actually sounds very simple? like standard product attributes, i.e
buying a t-shirt you select Size and Colour from drop down menus.

I cant see why you cant have each option with the drop down boxes.
Whittie

9th May 12 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Keep it simple imo. Standard shop with attributes for different colours or something.

Too much work for in effect, a standard shop.
A2H GO

9th May 12 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I guess its just a gimmic to add that interactive feel of building something over just selecting an item from a box.

EDIT: I think I worked out if I have 10 screen types, bezels and backs thats 1000 combinations.

Whittie

9th May 12 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Few weeks worth of solid inputting there my man!
A2H GO

9th May 12 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
Keep it simple imo. Standard shop with attributes for different colours or something.

Too much work for in effect, a standard shop.

Looks like this is what I'll end up with
Dom

9th May 12 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Reasonably straight forward if you'd used Flash, although you'd be stuck with solid colours (to do gloss would require the use of images and using filters; bit more work but not impossible)

Edit - Thinking about it you could also use HTML5, although you'd be limiting yourself to a few browsers.

[Edited on 09-05-2012 by Dom]
ed

9th May 12 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could do this sort of thing with JavaScript and CSS, could make it fancy with HTML5. Flash has it's place, but I don't think you'd need it to move a few images about
Dom

9th May 12 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Could do this sort of thing with JavaScript and CSS, could make it fancy with HTML5. Flash has it's place, but I don't think you'd need it to move a few images about

Hence why you'd use Flash properly and use the AS3 colour filters (would require a single vector for solid colours; only gloss finishes would you require the use of a flat BG-image for the 'shine') 'Shifting' images around with JS would be slow and bloaty in comparison.

[Edited on 09-05-2012 by Dom]
ed

9th May 12 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or you use SVG's and change the colours or you use PNG's with the coloured bits left transparent and you change the background colours.
A2H GO

9th May 12 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds way over my head and not paying someone to do it so a standard shop it is
Rob_Quads

9th May 12 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Hence why you'd use Flash properly

Using flash for marketing an Apple based product is probably not a wise move.

Dom

9th May 12 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Hence why you'd use Flash properly

Using flash for marketing an Apple based product is probably not a wise move.

I suspect creating and selling Apple parts is more of a 'not a wise move' than using Flash on a e-commerce site
Laney

10th May 12 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it was aimed at the tiff between Apple and Flash
A2H GO

16th Sep 12 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like mendmyi beat me to it...

https://mendmyi.com/colourlab/iphone/iphone-4s/
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Sep 12 at 19:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thing is - they're all separately positioned so assuming you could line them up, you wouldn't need to render the outcomes as single images.

I'd be using an SVG and re-writing the vector attributes when the user changes their mind.

Could also be done in Flash but is that not a tad ironic.
Sam
Premium Member

17th Sep 12 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think it's that difficult to do.

Just have images of every possible outcome as Whittie says, and use jQuery/JavaScript/AJAX to update things as per user selections. Your web designer should know how to do this alternatively hire someone off here to code it for you.

That way it'll work on all modern desktop and mobile browsers.

Edit - not sure how well the SVG thing will work as Ian suggested, but sounds easier than multiple images as per my suggestion

[Edited on 17-09-2012 by Sam]
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Sep 12 at 00:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you need every possible outcome?

In that meandmyi.com one, they don't depend on each other, you're just configuring four independent images which happen to overlap on different layers.

Every possible outcome with four choices is a big number, even 5 you need 625 of them. Add another, that's another 125 images you need to make. Graft.

Its not like putting a body kit on a car and needing that same bodykit in different colours, those phone panels are completely discrete.

As I understand it anyway.

[Edited on 17-09-2012 by Ian]

New Poll