corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » LAN Gaming - possible business idea

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author LAN Gaming - possible business idea
dannymccann

User status: Offline
9th Sep 09 at 07:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On holiday I had an idea about a new business that I havent seen around here - LAN Gaming Centre. Either for PCs or consoles, games like COD, PGR, GTA etc where people pay per hour and come as a group of friends to play against each other, with all the benefits of lag free gaming, but on their own screen (none of this split screen crap).

Including things like a small restaurant and bar on site, I thought it may be pretty profitable if I priced it for the large student population in Lincoln....just wondering if anyone would pay per hour to play against their mates in this way, or is online "free" gaming good enough....?

Then I thought about the possible amount of legislation, obviously theirs the 'Think 25' shit for alcohol, but even for the age limit on some games, like GTA, where kids will have access to them at home but wouldnt be allowed by law to play them in my 'arcade' so to speak?

Anyone looked into it before?
Aaron

9th Sep 09 at 08:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is something that i;ve thought about in the past. I'd love to have a place like this.

I haven't actually done any business work on it, but its a top idea.

EDIT:

I'd have multiple rooms for each platform. i.e. a PS3 room, XBOX room, Wii Room and PC Gaming room. Screens would be fooking huge etc

If i was stupidly rich, i'd start it up just for fun, and wouldnt be bothered if it didnt make any money...i'd be happy if it just paid for its self in terms of bills etc.

[Edited on 09-09-2009 by Aaron]
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

9th Sep 09 at 08:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I remember years ago these things popped up and never seemed to last long, I think theres alot of overheads and you dont get much trade during the day. Most students who have abit of clue would lug their console/pc+tv to their mates house and have a LAN gaming session.
Marc

9th Sep 09 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kind of like a fancy arcade. I suppose the price per hour would be a huge factor for most people. As said about the screens, they would have to be pretty special to persuade people in to going there in stead of staying at home.

Sounds expensive though, by the time the place has been kitted out with the screens and surround sound.
willay
Premium Member

9th Sep 09 at 08:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you wouldnt have surround sound, they would have decent ear phones.
dannymccann

9th Sep 09 at 08:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I havent yet costed anything up, its more of a muffled idea at the moment. Ive never seen one before, apart from the big BlizzCon festivals etc in America, and there are one off weekenders etc around the country but not really a static business...
willay
Premium Member

9th Sep 09 at 08:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Multiplay have turned it into a business, I went to one of their massive lan partys with 1000's of gimps in Newbury race course years ago.
ed

9th Sep 09 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't work out too well for these guys

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Sektor
Liam

9th Sep 09 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

See these kind of places everywhere in Greece/Crete/Rhodes, always packed over there.
Marc

9th Sep 09 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed

One PS3 and one 360

Virgin should brand it all
dannymccann

9th Sep 09 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Liam - kind of where I got the idea from, in the European countries its a real big thing, but is this because they dont have the best access to computer equipment / internet connections in their own home, like we do over here?
willay
Premium Member

9th Sep 09 at 09:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that and its probably too fucking hot to be outside all the time, most these LAN centres have air con
dannymccann

9th Sep 09 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

True also, I was in Spain last week turning into a lobster at 34c
bigboykarl

9th Sep 09 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there used to be one years ago called playing fields in whitfield street w1..just behing tottenham crt rd....used to go with mates play red alert..total annhilation..delta force..etc
used to cost £6 an hour then (approx 10-12 years ago)
Sunz

9th Sep 09 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it will be hard to make a profit when you can do it cheaply at home
Would need something special to make people go there instead of playing at home.

Good food and drink
pool room
bowling alley, something else for people to go there for.

Don't personally think just lan gaming alone will work to begin with.

£6 an hour

[Edited on 09-09-2009 by Sunz]
ed

9th Sep 09 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
quote:
Originally posted by ed

One PS3 and one 360

Virgin should brand it all
I think a retard wrote that. The one in Brum had a room with PS3's and a room for 360's. Was more about the PC's though.
bigboykarl

9th Sep 09 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think you'd get kids party bookings sat and sun
but you'd struggle in the week.....i thought about doing this 5 years ago i was going to buy a local dvd rental shop and put a lan in the back with 10 p/cs but it was about the time of the emergence of love film blockbuster on line and assorted companys ...so i thought the risk was too great...
main problem is start up costs e.g 10 ps3 10 copys of cod4 10 32 inch monitors 20 chairs 10 desks,shop..etc even bulk buying you've got 7/8k spend and at £3 p/h you have 2500 hours before start up costs are recovered
*JonnyG*

9th Sep 09 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Am sure they is already1 in lincoln.
Cosmo

9th Sep 09 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not reading the whole thread as it seems far too geeky for me, but if you are seriously considering this then look into sponsorship for various things in there.

For example, if you were looking to get LG screens, contact them directly and you may get an amazing deal. If they can get their screens in front of 100's of possible customers then thats a huge pull for them.

Same can be applied to loads of things in there...seats, desks, caffine drinks, etc.
Marc

9th Sep 09 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about the licencing of the games though? Seems a bit of a mine field?
Marc

9th Sep 09 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plus, regardless of how technology has moved on, you would need some N64's and Goldeneye!
Cosmo

9th Sep 09 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
What about the licencing of the games though? Seems a bit of a mine field?

Same would apply for them IMO as it would for other sponsorships. If you can show them that you could advertise their product to many many potential home based customers then it could be a massive opportunity for them, enough to lower the cost a huge amount.
dannymccann

9th Sep 09 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The game licensing was the thing I was most concerned about, but yea that could be the way forward in contacting the manufacturers directly.

No chance would I be charging £6 an hour, I would be aiming to make a small profit on the actual gaming but then the side activities such as selling alcohol (alcohol license), soft drinks, arcade games and pool tables etc would make up the rest of the takings.

Would be looking to offer the services as team building events to companies and what not. Weekends I could see being pretty busy, week days being empty but week nights (6pm - 12am?) seeing a decent share
Marc

9th Sep 09 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So its beginning to sound like an arcade, bar and game shop rolled in to one!
MJFF88

9th Sep 09 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
Multiplay have turned it into a business, I went to one of their massive lan partys with 1000's of gimps in Newbury race course years ago.

iSeries? Been saying I'd go to one of them since about i25. Its now at i34 or something

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll