corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Upgrading to a Sky+ box.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Upgrading to a Sky+ box.
Jakey
Premium Member

User status: Offline
14th Feb 12 at 12:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Current set up in the house is Sky+HD box downstairs and multiroom in my bedroom running a bog standard old school Sky box.

My question is, could I buy a cheap second hand Sky+ box, put it in my room and just put my card in?

Would it work?

Thanks.
Brett
Premium Member

14th Feb 12 at 12:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't the + boxes need 2 feeds?
Sam
Premium Member

14th Feb 12 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes to both.
strick206

14th Feb 12 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless you want to run the second feed yourself, the best bet would be ring sky asking to leave, and when they ask what can they do for you ask for a sky + box for the multiroom and for them to install it.

Go for sky phone line rental as well if possible and they will probably do you a deal on the amount you are paying now as well
Dom

14th Feb 12 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
Don't the + boxes need 2 feeds?

IIRC there is an option, engineers menu perhaps?, that you can run it on a single feed although you loose PVR. In fact i think Ed mentioned this in one of his flat/sky threads.

Although, aren't the boxes and sub-cards paired to each other meaning that you can't simply pull a card out and put it in another box?
John

14th Feb 12 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sky have to pair the card to the box for premium channels and things like sky+ to work.
Dave

14th Feb 12 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can run it off a single input but you'll lose the ability to watch one channel and record the other at the same time.

As John said the cards need to be paired by Sky but you still only pay your £10 multiroom sub.
Jakey
Premium Member

14th Feb 12 at 18:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So in a thick, none technical way, what is the best way to do it? Cancel and re-subscribe?
Dave

14th Feb 12 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ring up and speak to them direct. You could try saying you only really watch recorded stuff so are considering knocking the multiroom off. I'd imagine they might give you a new box but make you sign up for another 12months. It can vary wildly depending on who you speak to.

I rang up last month to get rid of multiroom and movies. Whilst I was on they gave broadband, E&W calls and line rental free for a year. As of yet they haven't turned them off either but my bill has gone down
Toby
Premium Member

14th Feb 12 at 21:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jakey
So in a thick, none technical way, what is the best way to do it? Cancel and re-subscribe?
buy a cheap hd + box of eBay or the a like. Plug it in removing your card from.your old box and plugging it into the new one. Ring sky, give them the card number and box serial number and they will pair it and away you go. If you want to use full + benefits you need a second cable from the dish. You may het a free new sky box from sky of they want to renegotiate but will.more than likely require you signing in again for 12 months. If they do

New Poll